News:

**Inspired by recurrent discussions in FIBS shouts on issues concerning science and consciousness, we have introduced an ISP Board on Fibsboard.com ...a space set aside for more considered esoteric meanderings on ideas science and philosophy --- "concept formation and elucidation" .....> the philosophy/physiology/ structure and function of a fibster or fibsboarder!
take a look at http://www.fibsboard.com/ideas-science-and-philosophy/

Main Menu

TPR Tournament Awards Update

Started by Tom, March 14, 2014, 11:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

We started the TPR Player of the Week in 2011 based upon the ranking a player achieved earning TPR points throughout the tournament week. These standings are currently posted automatically at FIBSBoard by TourneyBot.

From time to time we posted the Monthly standings, but those were mostly done weeks or months after the fact, somewhat defeating the whole idea. (Seriously it is not too fun to find out you were the Player of the Month 6 weeks later :) )

In 2014 we will be also automating this task, because bots never forget to do what they are told!

Moving forward we will have the following TPR Awards:

• TPR Player of the Week
  • TPR Player of the Month
  • TPR Player of the Year

These awards will be based upon the TPR points players earn throughout the award period.

We will also also hold Championship tourneys for various time periods to select a Champion of the Year, for example.

These Championship tourneys will be seeded like a Tournament Of Champions where in order to be eligible to enter you will have had to win a tournament. We will then seed the winners based upon the TPR points they earned throughout the award period.

This will leave 2014 as a year of transition. We will use this time to try different things and see what works well and what doesn't. For example we are not sure running a Monthly Championship would work well, but we are open to try!

We have not been happy with replacing a regularly schedule tourney with a closed championship, so these championship tourneys will be run as multi-day tourneys.

It looks like 2014 has the prospects of being a very memorable year! It will either be GREAT or a total FLOP!

Thanks for your support!

Tom Moulton, TourneyBot Admin and Coding Czar
Ron Blake, TourneyBot Admin and TPR Czar

Tom

We said that 2014 would be a year of changes...

We also said that we want to run regular Tournament Of Champions (TOC) events and here we are approaching the end of the first Quarter of 2014.

We should be able to run a Monthly TOC as a multi-day and based upon past performance of players each TOC should finish up in a month or less.

What is the best way to catch up?

We could fire up 3 TOCs (Jan, Feb, Mar) but that would be silly, so in the spirit of silliness on April 1st we will be opening registration for a TOC for the First Quarter of 2014.

The format will be a 5/7/9 with 1 week clocks.

This tourney will include all players who have won a tournament during the period.

At this point there are over 40 players qualified to enter.

We will then move to opening a new TOC on the first of every month.

I would like to reinforce that this is an experiment and may not be the best plan, but the truly best way is to try it!

Any constructive feedback is greatly appreciated!

Tom Moulton, TourneyBot Admin and Coding Czar
Ron Blake, TourneyBot Admin and TPR Czar

Tom

It dawned upon me that there was no reason to wait until April 1st to create the TOC.

So I have created tourney 7841 with a list of the winners to date.

I will update the list daily.

I also discovered that I was a little off on the number of winners...

I found that there have been 97 winners so far!

If everyone registers that will put us in a 128 player bracket, which will be a TourneyBot first!

If you register PLEASE PLAY YOUR MATCHES as quickly as possible!

Leave your player FIBS Messages, try their email, also you can try using the FLG email form at http://flg.fibs.com/player.php

Good Luck to all!

Tom

Tom

The registration is still open, we have 49 players in and we now have 98 qualified players.

The Bloody Mary today is the last tourney of the quarter (when rounded to weeks).

So We should be all set have the tourney start on Tuesday April 1st.

Tom

Tom

The TOC is progressing well.

17 of 63 matches have been completed.

Top seeds who were knocked out in round 1 include

Amy (16) by millennium (48)
yoyo (24) by spudgun (41)
dorbel(4) by pozzblizz(61)
grrr (31) by mrjoe (34)
jools (19) by stroke (46)

Remember you can leave FIBS messages, FIBSBoard messages or use the FLG site to send an email.
This may be one area we need to improve things.

Tom

paulie

What happens after 7 days and a match has not been played.  I'm waiting on such a match.  I guess they still have 3? days to complete.
I try to avoid experience; most experience is bad.   -Wilde

Tom

Quote from: paulie on April 05, 2014, 04:12:40 PM
What happens after 7 days and a match has not been played.  I'm waiting on such a match.  I guess they still have 3? days to complete.

This weekend I will attempt to contact each player to see what the hold up is.

I assume you have tried to contact your opponent!

Tom

paulie

I try to avoid experience; most experience is bad.   -Wilde

Tom

So after a week we have completed 37 of 63 total matches!

Thank you all for working to hard to get these matches played in a timely fashion!

We still have 3 first round matches uncompleted!

diane vs grease - seems like diane's opponent is rather slipppery
juanz vs ZenMaster_Flash - juanz needs to be at one with the board to find his opponent
strongbow vs austin - austin will need some good arrows to catch his player

(so sorry that was the best I could do on such short notice!)

resh #32 did manage to knock out top seeded Fl_Nano - way to go resh! I am sure we'll see Fl_Nano in the next TOC.
mrjoe #34 also knocked out #2 seed asterix!! Wow are any of the top seeds safe?
Seems Not, engiagain #62 knocked out pollemanden #3 seed!

In this tourney nobody is safe! The highest seeded players still alive in round 2 are bundarama #7 and socksey #8!

And the highest seed in round 3 (at the moment) is jimbok #10

This is still anyone's tourney!

I have been avoiding awarding any matches due to timeouts, but I will be doing so for round 1 this weekend,
but as we get further along I will allow the clocks to handle things since we will be left with clearly experienced players!

Tom

Tom

Well I am back after a week in Dallas.

Real nice town, what I saw of it :)

The tourney is moving forward quickly now and we now have 3 Quarter-Finalists!

millennium (48) vs jimbok (9) Good Luck!!

and we have lprof (48) waiting for the winner of blotsalot (26) vs hoboken (10)

All players seeded 1-8 have been eliminated!

We do have one round 2 match that still needs to be played: bebish (54) vs DemonOfHavoc (22)

We are very impressed with they effort everyone has made to play matches!

Tom & Ron

Tom

We now have all 4 semi-finalists!

Round 5 (7 pts): jimbok (1832) vs guitartornado (1869), hoboken (1808) vs DemonOfHavoc (1865)

Good Luck to you guys!

Remember it has a 9 point final!

If you could post discussion of the scheduling of the final match it would be nice to allow for spectators!

Tom

Tom

I have opened the April TOC!

I will update it every day with any new winners.

If you win a tourney on April 30th you will have until 1200UTC to register.

The last tourney of April will be the Wednesday Three/Five.

In the future I will have the bot update the TOC allowed players automatically.

Tom

Tom

The April TOC has not started yet since the Tournament Month has not finished yet!!

If the Tournament Week starts on Monday then we need to wait until the last week of APRIL is completed before closing registration for the April TOC!

I was quite surprised some things did not happen automatically last night and it took me a little time to figure it out!

Also Sunday night we should see a MONTHLY report of the TPR standings! Fully automatic!!

Tom