News:

"Fibsboard allows for more considered reading and response, whereas Fibs shout is a more intuitive interaction"

Main Menu

Fibsboard Forum Match 18 Game 2 Move 16 Herd to cube

Started by stiefnu, April 01, 2014, 09:06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stiefnu

juanz has now made both GPs but the Herd has a useful pip lead. Before rolling, I thought I'd ask the question...

5-pt match, score juanz 0-1 Herd
Pipcount: juanz (red) 127, Herd (black) 112

Steve

KDP

im guessing that the cryptic choice involving Mr. More means doubling.

Julia_H

Spoiler
We're going to find it difficult to come off that back point without giving away game-losing shots as only 5s & 6s play safely. Our racing lead of 15 would be a double-pass in a pure race, but only narrowly so - so with all that shot (and recube) potential it's an easy take. Hold the cube until either our racing lead becomes a lock, we can get closer to home with doubles, or juanz's forced to run off the mid.
[close]

stiefnu

Quoteim guessing that the cryptic choice involving Mr. More means doubling

Indeed it does, a reference to a chapter in the excellent 'Backgammon Boot Camp' by the late Walter Trice (with an erudite forward by Paul Money, aka dorbel of this parish). Not sure if it's still in print but, if not, it must be available from ABE or Amazon. Do get hold of a copy if you can, it is so brilliant and absolutely certain to improve anyone's game.

Steve

KDP

Spoiler
i think we should and i would cube now, yes i agree its a take but if we wait until we clear the 14 whats the point?  BG is a game involving taking some risks.  we are ahead in the race, we have an advantage, lets press that.
[close]

Zorba

Spoiler
Looks like a straight-forward double, several doubles plus 6-5 will very often lose our market. Even if we leave a single shot clearing the 14pt, it'll be missed almost 70% of the time, likely also a market-loser. We have many rolls to clear our 14pt, so we're looking very good here. On the race alone it's already a pass. Only the additional, pretty small hitting chances make it a take. We can't afford to wait here.
[close]
The fascist's feelings of insecurity run so deep that he desperately needs a classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the fascist's embracement of concepts like mental illness and IQ tests.  - R.J.V.

Luck is my main skill

ah_clem

Spoiler

The take seems trivial, but we have market loses - 65 or doubles - so I's ship it here. It's probably not much of an error to hold since we will still have take most of the time next roll, but for those sequences where we lose our market we should get him on the hook for two.

Double.

[close]