News:

Look into the LINKS section. Please add your favorite backgammon links.

Main Menu

Problem creating custom board

Started by paulie, April 19, 2014, 11:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulie

I was looking at GNUbg's various boards and found one that I kind of like-Curtis cool.  So I decided to create  JavaFibs board using it as a template.  Now I've got the board I want working just fine-except-- I can't get the mirrored version to display at all!  When I click on "mirrored" in the board settings dialog and come back to the board nothing has changed.  I then went to another board, Alef's board and displayed it with the mirrored box checked.  works great.  Then when I select my new Curtis cool board with the mirrored box checked, nothing changes!  JavaFibs cannot deal with something in my configuration, apparently, when attempting to display a mirrored version.  I exited out of JavaFibs with that setting in place and then I found JavaFibs could not start up at all!  Oops.  So I thought, somewhere the board choice is being saved.  I found that somewhere in user/preferences but whoops, this file is binary!  So the only way I could fix this was to rename one of the working boards to Curtis cool, so JavaFibs could start up and I could then choose a working board as my default configuration. 

Has anyone encountered similar difficulties when creating a custom board?  Personally, I have the board I want, but to make it available to other folks, all the pieces have to work!

tia
I try to avoid experience; most experience is bad.   -Wilde

paulie

I found the problem.  I left out 1 set of coordinates in the reverse.metrics file and that made JavaFibs unhappy!
So, if anyone wants to try out this board, you can download the attached .zip file and place it in the directory name of your choice under "boards".  I'm calling it Curtis Cool, myself.

P.S.  I did something unconventional with the dice that some of you will not like, I suspect.  I replaced the traditional pips with numerals.  I often misread dice pips and spend several seconds pondering a move that I can't make anyway!  It's an age thing, I guess.

paulie

Quote from: paulie on April 19, 2014, 11:45:42 PM
I found the problem.  I left out 1 set of coordinates in the reverse.metrics file and that made JavaFibs unhappy!
So, if anyone wants to try out this board, you can download the attached .zip file and place it in the directory name of your choice under "boards".  I'm calling it Curtis Cool, myself.

P.S.  I did something unconventional with the dice that some of you will not like, I suspect.  I replaced the traditional pips with numerals.  I often misread dice pips and spend several seconds pondering a move that I can't make anyway!  It's an age thing, I guess.

Here's a better picture...

KissMyAss

If your "men" are white, and you're beginning on the top right of the board and moving to the left (in this pic), aren't the numerals backward?   Starting point is 24 not 1.       :unsure: :wacko: pedantic  :wacko: :unsure:
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."  -  Bilbo Baggins (at his 111th Birthday party)

paulie

Quote from: KissMyAss on May 05, 2014, 02:38:09 PM
If your "men" are white, and you're beginning on the top right of the board and moving to the left (in this pic), aren't the numerals backward?   Starting point is 24 not 1.       :unsure: :wacko: pedantic  :wacko: :unsure:

Interesting.  I never noticed that.  I got the picture from GNUbg with the setting not to use dynamic labels; that is how the default board looks.  I agree that is not correct.  When using the board on FIBS, however, the numbers appear correctly.

paulie

Quote from: KissMyAss on May 05, 2014, 02:38:09 PM

Now I'm seeing that sometimes it is correct and sometimes not.  This has to be a JavaFibs bug, I would think.  The numbers don't switch with each roll.  Whatever configuration the game starts with, that's the one the remains throughout the game.  But then the next game might have the alternate configuration!  I'll study this further.

KissMyAss

Would it be easier to use a programme such as paint like i did, and type them on manually??   Would be permanent and non altering. 

I just opened the background jpeg with paint, and put text boxes in the desired area, then saved it. 

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."  -  Bilbo Baggins (at his 111th Birthday party)

paulie

Quote from: KissMyAss on May 09, 2014, 01:05:47 PM
Would it be easier to use a programme such as paint like i did, and type them on manually??   Would be permanent and non altering. 

I just opened the background jpeg with paint, and put text boxes in the desired area, then saved it. 

Well, for myself, sure, that would work since I use only one orientation.  But for general use, the idea is that they can be switched depending on which side your home board is on.  I'd like to hear the logic the programmers used on that.  It appears correctly sometimes and not at other times.