Buying a tournament sized board?

Started by Arctic Jack, April 05, 2015, 06:32:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arctic Jack

Hello there... I'm in interested in learning to play Backgammon well. I'm a Chess player coming over to the Backgammon scene without any knowledge. I'd like to buy a board that is suitable for tournament play with the standard size board and pieces etc.

Is there a specific model that if I walked into a Backgammon club I'd see most of the players using? I don't want some stunning set that cost £1000's, just something suitable. Something that wouldn't get frowned upon if I played club players on.

Available in the UK or Europe would be preferred.

Thank you.

stiefnu

dorbel

There are several things to look out for.
Size does matter. 1 3/4" checkers are very popular. Not only are they are a good size to handle, but also they create the size of the board. A board for 2" checkers can seem vast and be awkward to reach across, one for 1 1/2" checkers too small. Check that the checkers fit neatly from side to side when every point in a quadrant is filled.  They need to be fairly deep, as shallow checkers allow the dice to roll up onto them too easily. 7/16" is good. Avoid checkers with a depression in the centre for the same reason.
Avoid cheap sets where the points are vinyl stitched down. The playing surface needs to firm but springy so that the checkers bounce and roll easily. Felt is good and I also like cork. Avoid wood. Leather is a matter of taste. I personally find that it adds a lot to the cost without improving the playing experience.
Precision dice are essential and you will usually have to buy these separately. The larger sizes don't roll so well, 1/2" is a good size.
Good lipped cups are essential and it's worth buying a digital clock at the same time so that you can practise with it before you get to the tournament.