News:

Try the New Recent Posts Link available above Recent Topics on the Front Page

Main Menu

Blundalongadorbel.

Started by dorbel, June 30, 2015, 07:06:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dorbel

The story so far, see Bundalongadorbel, the thread that died of shame.
We left our hero playing the White Checkers and leading 2-0 to 13, on roll and contemplating a double in the position below. I doubled this in the match, but it's not strong enough to turn the cube yet. Although White leads in the race by 18 pips, has the better position and some attacking threats, he should wait. An advantage in position, race and threats is usually enough for a cube, so why not here? There just aren't enough market losers and White will usually be able to get a take next turn even if he rolls well. The problem is that there are not enough checkers in the zone, ie checkers bearing on the 4 and 3 pts. 8 aren't enough and even if the White checker on the 11pt moves up to the 9pt it's still not a cube. Ten checkers in the zone is ideal. What this tells us is that threats ( to radically improve next turn) are more important than race or position. Threats increase volatility, the key element in good doubling.

Doubling is a blunda and Red is delighted to get the cube on his side so early in the game.

dorbel

Following the double I rolled 4-4, which made the cube look terrific! Then next turn got to this position. Will you leave one blot or two?

stog

Spoiler
2 blots 6/2* then 3/1* 4 blots in all !
[close]

(**folks need to register to be able to see game diagrams.** )

KDP

while i appreciate dorbel's efforts, i think bringing back the herd vs guest online match would be a much more interesting way to go.

dorbel

The reason that Fibsboard doesn't currently have a Guest v Herd match is that nobody has come forward to run one. I am not, for various reasons, interested in running it. I am quite interested in doing this, partly because some people find what I write useful, partly because I find it helps my own game.
Yesterday's position (scroll up), the double hit (8/2*, 3/1*) and the only reasonable alternate (13/7, 3/1*) are just about equal, demonstrating the power of getting another checker into the zone. Both plays have the same object of course, making it as hard as possible for Red to anchor. If she can anchor anywhere, White's wins and gammons go down sharply. I played the double hit over the board.
I kept on hitting when I could but eventually ran out of ammunition, which was identified as the weakness of the original cube if you remember and with both sides having one checker on the bar had to play 6-5 in this position. A choice of four legal sixes, which one was right? I played bar/14, XG++ plays bar/20, 22/16. How about you? Answers tomorrow.

NIHILIST

KDP writes....
QuoteI think bringing back the herd vs guest online match would be a much more interesting way to go.

I personally think watching paint dry would be a much more interesting way to go   :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:, but if dorbel wants to reminisce about his backgammon triumphs in his emeritus years, who am I to spoil his fun ?

Bob
Robert J Ebbeler

dorbel

I'm not really interested in being bait for a troll. It isn't a fight that can be won, it isn't even a fight worth winning.
Thanks, bye.

stog

I see your point, but I don't see why a couple of negative idiots should stop us from studying the game we enjoy and i hope you will consider continuing with this educative thread

i have banned both Nihilist and Pl indefinitely and will ban others whose negative and destructive input sullies our day

moonshadow

Quote from: dorbel on July 02, 2015, 03:53:04 PM
I'm not really interested in being bait for a troll. It isn't a fight that can be won, it isn't even a fight worth winning.
Thanks, bye.

I liked the sound of one hand clapping and found blundalongdorbel to be a perfect fit for my short attention span and general unwillingness to spend hours studying backgammon.  Perhaps dorbel will reconsider. . . . .

Biffo

Thank you Stog, a very refreshing approach.  Please return to the thread Dorbel.