News:

**VIP donor members can set up a profile gallery, only viewable by those on their buddy list ****

Main Menu

Backgammon Studio

Started by PillowFighter, September 10, 2015, 09:04:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PillowFighter

Hi!

I have been working on a backgammon server for some time and it is starting to look reasonably nice. There are a few active users now but there is room for many more! :-)

"This backgammon server tries to provide an entertaining way to improve your backgammon skills by providing different types of challenges you can try your skills on. It will track your performance (only visible to you) so you can get an idea in which area of the game where you should focus your efforts at improving."

Here is a longer posting I posted on the Stick forum: http://www.bgonline.org/forums/webbbs_config.pl?read=182538 (Can you read it without registering there first?..)

Give my server a try! I am sure you'll love it! http://backgammonstudio.tk/index.php

As with this forum there are issues with getting the email confirmation email so I am monitoring new registrations and if I don't see a login after some time I'll send you a manual confirmation email to get you started.

Best regards,
TP

PillowFighter

There were some concerns about using the free .tk domain so I have gotten a .com domain so the server is now located at:

www.backgammonstudio.com

I have added a few new features since last time. The most interesting one is perhaps the Training ground:

That you will have in your private database (requires an upgraded account). Here you will get an overview of all the errors you have done in the matches you have uploaded. It is divided into equity error ranges:

If you have made 10 or more errors in one of the ranges you start from this level and can start improving by completing a challenge that is generated from 10 positions in this error range. If you answer 80% or better correct you can advance to the next level.

Today I added a new challenge: "Backgame bliss" - cube handling in backgame positions. I don't think I have any good rules-of-thumb on how to handle these but by playing a few of these I hope to start recognizing the patterns that decides what is right to do in these positions. Worth a try! :-)

Another recent feature is an option to only look at all cube handling positions in an entire match:

Another one is an option to select match type when you are searching for positions:

And another one is an option to search for 'Pay now or later' positions:

There is also a 'Payback!' challenge which uses these types of positions as source.

I suspect I  have added a few more features too since last time but you can read all about them in the improvements section on my server:

where I upload a picture and a few lines of information on the improvement.

I have also started to update the help pages as they were starting to get seriously outdated.

The competition aspect on the server is also quite fun! I am in fierce competition with Hall (a top ranking norwegian backgammon player) for the Backgammon Studio Champions titles (top entry in the highscore lists) and today I managed to get two of them from him but I just saw an email 'Can you beat me?' from him so I suspect he has already taken one of them back! Hmf! :-) When you get a highscore there is a button where you can email someone a challenge with the highscore you just got.

Worth a try!

http://www.backgammonstudio.com/