News:

Add your picture URL in your profile.

Main Menu

FIBS down?

Started by rebayona, July 30, 2017, 03:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rebayona

Fibs seems to be down. Tried last night and today without any luck.

Does anyone know what's going on?
My nickname might sound girlie, but it is just my lastname, so please, stop flirting with me Romeos. It's awkard.

stog

yes it's down -- check out Fibs status on      Fibsboard front page (left hand margin)

magic_one

if offline go here for latest news?

magic_one

rebayona

Quote from: stog on July 30, 2017, 03:20:11 PM
yes it's down -- check out Fibs status on      Fibsboard front page (left hand margin)
last update is from May.
2016  :huh:
My nickname might sound girlie, but it is just my lastname, so please, stop flirting with me Romeos. It's awkard.

Ashi

jeff

Quote from: stog on July 30, 2017, 03:20:11 PM
That page doesn't actually seem to say anything. It has a few nonloading images. Neither does twitter/fibsdotcom say anything.

Quote from: Ashi on July 30, 2017, 11:24:00 PM
You can check Fibs Facebook page at:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/6851612897/
Seems to imply that FIBS is gone forever.

Would be better if someone in the know just gave a specific answer please.
My strategy: Always double right before your best roll.

diane

The only person who can give you that specific answer is Patti. She doesnt look here very often, and it seems she isnt using twitter much any more.

She is known to frequent the Monte Carlo Backgammon tournament, to help out and play poker. Sometimes she plays backgammon too.

We cant as yet prove she is there, but the chances are very high. If she left the house, and something went wrong, which it often does with tech, especially if you go away for a few days, then there is no one to put it right.

In that case we will simply have to be patient and wait for her to come home. You could even watch the live stream of the championships, to pass the time  :cool:

The above is the most likely explanation.
Never give up on the things that make you smile

jeff

socksey

Seems diane has covered the bases.  I have emailed Patti, no response.  I have also emailed Tom.  He knows nothing either..
We wait.

Meanwhile, ti-ga.com is working and a few have showed up there.  If you forgot, just change fibs.com to ti-ga.com on whatever program you're using.

Miss all of you................xoxo

marc_emrich

So I use java fibs interface. Anyone know (except PhatPat whom I have been told to never trust) how to get Java fibs to redirect to ta-gi.com?

marc_emrich

I mean ti-ga not ta-gi

stog

go to Preferences/server and type in new server,

then click Javafibs/new user and put in a username and password

dorbel

.....and PhatPat is entirely trustworthy to the extent of my knowledge.

Rita

well, there is also gridgammon, not as much fan as on fibs but...works  :)

Rita

cedxjlj

Socksey suggests using ti-ga.com for the server.  I am using fibzilla.  Does anyone know how to change the server from fibs.com to ti-ga.com?

foxy

You don't miss your water till the well runs dry.
I hope Fibs still has a pulse.  Maybe we need a backup.
Or someone with a durable power of attorney.  Anyone know, if
there's anything that can be done besides chasing down Patti?

maria

Quote from: Rita on August 03, 2017, 08:24:20 PM
fun
Quote from: cedxjlj on August 05, 2017, 01:18:17 AM
Socksey suggests using ti-ga.com for the server.  I am using fibzilla.  Does anyone know how to change the server from fibs.com to ti-ga.com?

Very easy.  In the little box that shows your username and password, there's a line for fibs.com
Just delete that and enter ti-ga.com
BUT you have to be aware your FIBS username & password won't work at TigerGammon, you have to create a new account there.
I am not 100% sure if when you leave your username and password areas blank and then hit Connect, you can create an account.
An easy way would be to use the TigerGammon browser client, create your account, then enter that info into FIBzilla.
Here's the link for the browser client:
http://tigergammon.eu/client/

dorbel

I expect that Patti is on holiday and that the server, which lives in her attic, has gone down for some reason. It's a reminder to us all how much we value it and should appreciate that Patti has supplied and overseen a free server for us all for many years. Thanks Patti.

BackBurner

It has come to light that FIBS runs on "a server in Patti's attic".
I run a server in my attic and it uses $20-30 of electricity every month. And then there is the hardware maintenance cost (hard drives, fans, upgrades).  I need to have a physical server for my consulting business but, for something like FIBS, a virtual server (Amazon, Google, Azure) might be cost effective.

socksey

we don't need any .of that.  we have tiger already up and going for a long time.  Hannes has been keeping it going.  all we need is a tourneybot there and people.  there are already other bots to play with.  to get there, just change your fibs.com to ti-ga.com and you're good to go.  ;)))  in fibszilla, go to preferences, then change fibs.com to ti-ga.com.  also change in the connect box that comes up.  it's very easy to do.

if and when fibs is back up, we can change back.  I don't know if this is a permanent condition with fibs or not, but we do have an option, so see you all on tiger. ;)))

of course we are thankful for the years Patti has put in for us and hope the reason is not a personal one like health, but this is a solution for now and thankful to Hannes that we have a backup.

socksey

Johnny_Boy

Thanks Socksey.....was beginning to wonder becasue I have been way too busy and haven't paid attention to  Fibs.. Tigergammon always works

BackBurner

Ti-ga needs Repbot, too.

Ashi

stog

latest ( 8 aug - from Patti-)-->FIBS is currently down due to hardware failures. I am working to get it back online but do not currently have an ETA.

foxy

jeff

Is FIBS back? I still cannot get on? I can't even ping it.

Pinging fibs.com [198.144.203.150] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 198.144.203.150:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

jeff

Nevermind.

Two of my "friends" told me the site was back and they were playing.

If you see them on the site, PLEASE BAN THEM IMMEDIATELY.

:D

Quote from: jeff on August 09, 2017, 01:56:46 AM
Is FIBS back? I still cannot get on? I can't even ping it.

Pinging fibs.com [198.144.203.150] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 198.144.203.150:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

manxcat

FIBS IS UP and Running. You need to set the server to fibs.com the isp address does not work.
I would rather be villified for doing the right thing, than be praised for doing the wrong thing. -unknown, very likely it was me.