News:

VIP Donor members can now edit photo galleries and utilise an extended Custom Profile with buddy lists. Join them - for the price of a beer!

Main Menu

TourneyBot database

Started by don, January 05, 2005, 06:31:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

don

I'm doing some fiddling with numbers and I wonder if the TourneyBot database is available.  I'd like to use it along with some other DBases for a project I have in mind suggested by another FIBSter.  If I come up with anything interesting, I will, of course, make it available to the public.

Is there an ongoing Tourneybot database containing things like:
  • Who Plays in each tourney?
  • Who won?
  • Who came in 2nd, 3rd?
  • etc.?

So many string dimensions, so little space time...

webrunner

Yes this is possible.
What did you have in mind?
"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

amarganth

statistics about played tourneys? a good idea. can you tell more about this database, webrunner?
To be is to do
          Sokrates
To do is to be
          Sartre
Do be do be do
          Sinatra

MadMatt

Actually, this would be a bit difficult, since TourneyBot's database is essentialy just a collection of Ruby tourney objects written to a file. It is not a SQL database that you could query or something similar. One would need to write a sort of a bridge to transform those Ruby objects into a SQL database entries first, then work from there. Or write a Ruby application that would simply extract all the necessary data from the objects on demand, which would likely be easier, but much less flexible and efficient.
MadMatt
----------

TourneyBot Website

don

I'm thinking of creating a DBase of tourney play on FIBS and elsewhere on the net, fiddling with the FIBS rating formula, and perhaps others, for merely informative purposes.

I don't know if or how interesting the final result will be, but TourneyBot and FIBSLeague seem two obvious places to start.  If I can access your objects and they have some identifiable structure, I can read 'em  into and tweak 'em in a spreadsheet.

What d'ya think, Matt?

adamosad

I think that u expand a lot this idea Don.  When we talked i suggested a database about fibs only with winner and runner up places only. A simple bot can inform anyone of each tournaments first and second place winners.  I spoke to amarganth and donzaemon too about this idea and they did like the original idea. I don't think that fibsters will care about other bg's comminities too, as they don't prefer to play in those tournaments. But, as i make a reply here, i would like to post the original idea.

I believe fibs needs a new kind of bot for two jobs... the first one is for helping tds with their advertising. it can adv the starting of a tourney automatically so less job for them, and secondly, it can bring a database with 1st and 2nd places of official tourneys like leagues, minimatches, and fridays3!!!  it's difficult for someone to see the winners and second place winners of a player in one tourney as there are a lot of them from 2003. so this bot can carry the "glory" for everyone for many years.  

Sorry for all this talking but i'm trying to find a way that fibs comminity can be improved and not to make a statistical project.

MadMatt

Well, whoever wants to do any kind of improvements, the TourneyBot code is public and you can check it out from the CVS repository, see the homepage. I suppose you can have the tourney objects as well, although I'm not sure we have all of them since Tourney #1. Would have to check webrunner's old server to see. I can't provide any help or support beyond sending you the stuff, though.
MadMatt
----------

TourneyBot Website

Tomawaky

I have A SQL database at Fibsleagammon.
But the hardest thing is to complete it.
It is done with matchs posted here, but yes it will be great to have a database updated automaticly with tourneybot
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

Tomawaky

Quoteit can bring a database with 1st and 2nd places of official tourneys like leagues, minimatches, and fridays3!!!Ã,  it's difficult for someone to see the winners and second place winners of a player in one tourney as there are a lot of them from 2003. so this bot can carry the "glory" for everyone for many years.Ã, 
Is it something like the Standing BAGO page ?
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

adamosad

Yes it is something like standing bago page, but it will contain more info about tournament, date,player and first or second places.  In addition i hope to find someone to create a bot that it will carry all this info. Of course after the data mining, we can post them in a page too :D

don

Can you give me a URL for these objects, Matt?  I went to the TourneyBot DL site and couldn't find TourneyBot there, let alone objects.

webrunner

http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=144

I will check tonight if i still have all the old data.
The server is still live (running the mgnu bots ;) )
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

webrunner

I still have the old code and database available.
If Mat agrees i will post it here for download.
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

MadMatt

QuoteI still have the old code and database available.
If Mat agrees i will post it here for download.
Fine by me. I'm a little busy to get the ones from the new server right now, but I'll get around to that when I have the chance.

To create the objects from disk, you'll need to use this database and remember to examine tourney.rb, bracket-tourney.rb and double-tourney.rb in the TourneyBot code to see how to mine the data from them.
MadMatt
----------

TourneyBot Website

webrunner

OK, here it is, it's a self extracting archive.
Remember, this is the old stuff, i think the first three months of TourneyBot.

http://www.fibsboard.com/tb.exe
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

don

Hmm.. it appears like you are saying I have to run TourneyBot to get access to the database.  Is this correct?

webrunner

No, you can also create your own code to get to it.
But it is not easy like opening a file.
Maybe the first thing we should do is have TB save all the stuff in a MySql database instead of files.

Is that very hard to do Matt?
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

don

If I DL the TourneyBot program, does it include the database?  If not, then I'd like to just see the database in almost any format.

don

Judging by the time that has passed with no comments here, I am guessing now that there IS no TourneyBot database, or it is not available for number crunching.  It could be an interesting tool.

webrunner

There is a database, you are just not understanding the language we are speaking.
The database is only readable by TourneyBot code or Ruby code.:rolleyes:

That means you will have to write a Ruby programm or addition to Tourneybot to crunch the numbers..  
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

don

Excellent!  Where can I get a copy of the database?

webrunner

QuoteOK, here it is, it's a self extracting archive.
Remember, this is the old stuff, i think the first three months of TourneyBot.

http://www.fibsboard.com/tb.exe
See this post.
This is the old TB with a database included.
Enough to get you going.

You should download ruby too (programming language and interpreter; a lot like perl)
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

don

Well, ya got me.  I downloaded it and can't easilly ID any database.

Thanks.

webrunner

It is not as easy as opening a file Don, that is what i am been trying to tell you.
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |