News:

Look into the LINKS section. Please add your favorite backgammon links.

Main Menu

Tourneybot's New Commands

Started by adamosad, January 22, 2005, 02:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webrunner

I didn't mean to post this database stuff as a solution or means to create the stuff that was talked about here.
I just added it to the wishlist. In my opinion (and i work with databases a lot) a database server is even more dependable then file system, especially with large databases. The portability is a good argument though.

Anyway... it was just an idea. Maybe the bridge idea is something we can do stuff with.
Too bad i haven't got the time to look in to it.
"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

adamosad

Then only three choices left! option 1: listen to tomawaky's offer for a database, option 2: i have to start studying ruby and option 3: do the alternative way that Madmatt offer and it's easier for him

For option 1, can u tell me again your offer Tomawaky?

For option 2, if i produce a code, will you run it with your current one Madmatt?
Can i use this page to ask u questions about Ruby language? In what site, can i find this language in order to download it?

For option 3, if you write this application, the titles must insert into this database manually Madmatt? If i take the responsibility to upgrade all titles manually, will u do it?

Thx for taking the time to reply to this post.

MadMatt

QuoteFor option 2, if i produce a code, will you run it with your current one Madmatt?

The short answer is no, as I still see the benefit of having it done the way it is now for all the reasons I listed above, but I'd have to see the code and see how stable it is before making a final decision. The thing is, TourneyBot is pretty stable right now and I would rather not include anything that makes it less so, especially if I don't see the benefit behind it. If you go with this option, I suggest you run your own copy of the bot.

QuoteCan i use this page to ask u questions about Ruby language?

Yes.

QuoteIn what site, can i find this language in order to download it?

This page has links to all languages, libraries and utilities TourneyBot was made with. Remember, Google is your friend.

QuoteFor option 3, if you write this application, the titles must insert into this database manually Madmatt? If i take the responsibility to upgrade all titles manually, will u do it?

If I understood this correctly, you're asking if the titles from your title idea would have to be inserted into the database manually? As to that, I am not sure, can you explain how your idea works in a bit more detailed way?

And no, unfortunately I haven't got the time and the motivation to write this bridge application right now as I am in the middle of another project. But in the future, who knows? I make no promises, though.
MadMatt
----------

TourneyBot Website

adamosad

Then for opinion 1, i must wait for tomawaky's reply

For opinion 2, as Madmatt suggest to run my own copy of tourneybot, i must wait for webrunner's final answer if he can host it or not. And if he can, i want to ask Madmatt how many days have you studied to learn your first computer language.

For opinion 3,  i want to ask Madmatt  how many months will he work on that other project. (just asking. I know that u made no promises)

QuoteIf I understood this correctly, you're asking if the titles from your title idea would have to be inserted into the database manually? As to that, I am not sure, can you explain how your idea works in a bit more detailed way?

The main idea is the one i said at the beginning, if u ask the bot about soneone's titles to answer u all the titles that person gain from 2003 to today. But as we want to focus on official tourneys only, i asked your opinion if it would be easier to insert the title to a database manually. Isn't it more difficult to write something for the bot to recognize if the tourney is official or not? In addition there are some tourneys that don't use the tourneybot but i want to include this titles.

Tomawaky

My offer was just to host the database.

Then we will need to think about how to insert data in !
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

adamosad

Thx u for your reply Tomawaky. I'm still waiting for Madmatt's and Webrunner's answer to decide what to do!!! :unsure:  

webrunner

I didn't realize thst you where waiting for an answer of mine.

I can NOT host another bot right now, i think i have been very clear about that.
I am heaving trouble keeping Tourneybot alive as it is.
:(  
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

Tom

I see that TourneyBot has an interface to FIBSLeaGammon

How hard would it be to add alternte interfaces to other league tracking sites?

Ruby is like Ada, which is like pascal... may not be soo bad...

MadMatt

I had always hoped more FIBS tourneys would want to be integrated with TourneyBot. That was one of the primary design goals of TourneyBot. Unfortunately, only Kari_Grandi ever expressed interest in TourneyBot support for his Fridays3.

Implementing additional tourneys or tourney series would be trivial, providing the following conditions are true:
- Tourneys are (single-leg round) single or double elimination types
- Points for placement in a tourney series can be computed by an invariable algorithm (meaning the computer can calculate them by itself without human assistance).

If the above conditions are met, new standard FIBS tourneys could be implemented without much effort. I might do it myself, provided that interested parties have a well-established tourney that has become a known feature of FIBS, not something that will disappear after a few weeks. Have a look at Fridays3,  it's been going on for years and I don't remember it being cancelled a single time.

Any kind of other tournament types (leagues, ladders) are currently not supported by TourneyBot. I have not looked into how hard a league would be to implement, but judging from experience, it would not be an easy task, as both single elimination and especially double elimination were quite difficult. Of course, it would be an awesome addition to TourneyBot, so if anyone is interested in attempting it, I say full steam ahead. Usual caveats apply, of course: I make no promises to include it into the main branch of TourneyBot code and into the bot instance that runs on FIBS under the name of TourneyBot. Whether or not any potential additions will be included depends on mainly three things:
- the usefulness of the feature
- the quality of the code
- the author's agreement to make his code available as Public Domain, since that is how TourneyBot is "licensed".
Of course, I repeat for the 100th time, everyone is welcome to download the code and make any kind of modification to it, then run it under a different name on FIBS.
MadMatt
----------

TourneyBot Website

adamosad

QuoteThx u for your reply Tomawaky. I'm still waiting for Madmatt's and Webrunner's answer to decide what to do!!! :unsure:
I have decided what to do....Thx everyone who helps in this topic!!!  

Tom

adamosad

I'll keep it as a surprise. You are going to learn about it in few days...  :D  

webrunner

Hmmm... now i am all curious  :unsure:  
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

amarganth

I like surprises!  

:cool:  :D  :D  :D  
To be is to do
          Sokrates
To do is to be
          Sartre
Do be do be do
          Sinatra

socksey

I've been sworn to secrecy!  Don't ask me!  I can't tell!   :P

socksey

"Lust is when somebody else is essential to our happiness; love is when somebody else's happiness is essential to us." - John in Oz

Tomawaky

just me :jump2: just me socksey
please :kiss2:
;)  
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

adamosad

Amarganth finished the new bot. For more info:

http://www.fibsboard.com/index.php?showtop...st=0&#entry7103

Thx again everyone who helps in this topic!!!