Scheduled tourneys - BAGO/MiniMatches etc...

Started by DirtyHarryII, February 13, 2005, 02:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtyHarryII

Scheduled tourneys - BAGO/MiniMatches etc...

Hi all..

Since Mini's and Bago have been way off scheduled time lately, I think we need to discuss what we do if a scheduled tourney is late. Seems to me that running scheduled tourneys hours off schedule isn't acceptable.

If we can't rely on the time set for the scheduled tourneys we will have to live here to be able to participate.

We can have as many tourneys as we like at all times, but it just can't be the scheduled ones. They have to run on time.

In my view it has to be this way in order for all to participate on equal terms..

DHII
DirtyHarryII

DirtyHarryII

Hi all..

Since Mini's and Bago have been way off scheduled time lately, I think we need to discuss what we do if a scheduled tourney is late. Seems to me that running scheduled tourneys hours off schedule isn't acceptable.

If we can't rely on the time set for the scheduled tourneys we will have to live here to be able to participate.

We can have as many tourneys as we like at all times, but it just can't be the scheduled ones. They have to run on time.

In my view it has to be this way in order for all to participate on equal terms..

DHII
DirtyHarryII

Tomawaky

Tourney must start at the right time, but i think we can accept a little delay.
Can you send me please which tourneys started late.
And don't forget one thing. For Bago we started it with many TDs and only 2 stay, one new come recently.
The question can be also : Must we keep Bago even with late session or prefer to stop it ?
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

amarganth

I try to start the tourney the announced time, BAGO, Tuesday, 21:00 GMT, precisely like a swiss watch ;-)

But:
  • if i will have only 5 players, for instance, i will start it 5 minutes later with some special announcement.
  • FIBS time is incorrect, my PC time is correct, because of a synchronisation with some time servers.
I asked Patti to install a time server functionality for FIBS some time ago. She's afraid to change something ("never change a running system". And FIBS runs very good).

amarganth
To be is to do
          Sokrates
To do is to be
          Sartre
Do be do be do
          Sinatra

adamosad

Hi Amarganth,

It is obvious that no-TD start a tourney lately on purpose. There is always a reason. So I think this rule is redundant in the end of the day. Does anyone disagree???

DirtyHarryII

Hi adam...

Yes I disagree.

If I read u right, you're saying that because TD's are never late on purpose it's ok to start scheduled tourneys late if necessary. And that makes a 30 min. rule redundant.

I'll just quote socksey again, cause this is the essense of what it's all about.

Quotesocksey

I think if a host is a maximum of 30 min late, the tourney should be postponed until next regularly scheduled tourney time. I don't mind skipping a tourney once in a while but I do mind missing one when I was there on time, left after some time, then found out the tourney was played a bit after I left, and it was more than half an hour. When scores are totalled cumulatively, there should be a level playing field IMHO.

DHII

and please ... to make it as easy as possible to follow this discussion could we keep it at the fibsleagammon forum...  
DirtyHarryII

adamosad

QuoteHi again DirtyHarryII,

I understand what you mean and as a regular player i agree with you that it's fair to start a tourney with all the players that they want to play and not after a period that some of them would leave.

These are my words from a previews post. I agree with you as you can see above. Your main reason for starting this/these post(s) was mini and bago which as you said were started lately. Amarganth told us what happens when he was hosting and you admitted that mini started inside the appropriate time.

As we find what happen i thought that the case was closed because i had in mind that it's difficult to convince all tourney's owners to add this rule in their tourney's rules. That's why i post that maybe this rule is redundant and i ask for other opinions. But as you already convince Socksey and Tomawaky, i'll do the same and if more owners support you, this rule can become a general rule for all tourneys.

I posted here because Amarganth use this place to add his reply. That's why i reply here. Finally, i sent a message to Socksey to ask if she can merge the two posts you create.

DirtyHarryII

ok adam... case closed on my part.. thx for participating.

And good idea to merge the postings.... thx

DHII
DirtyHarryII

stog

bago (3/5pt) is tues & thurs eve at 8 pm uk time and work can wait (3/7pt) is on monday eve 7.30 UK time, minis (2pt) r i think 4pm sat UK time. fri3 is (3/5pt) 5pm fri pm, bloody mary's (3/5pt) r on sunday 4pm uk time again. and then there are naccis (5 or 9pt) matches which can be played any time during the week sign up herehttp://www.donzaemon.com and if you join with 2 others team lg - look on the http://fibsleagammon.free.frsite where you will see how to join leagues -7pt games 2months to play

bago/minis/f3/sunday bloody mary and work can wait can all be registered on Fibs xx xxxx b4 play starts....

gotta get to bed -- others will amend/correct this
enjoy and welcome

see this thread for latest correct info

Tom

Quote from: DirtyHarryII on February 13, 2005, 02:12:59 PM
Seems to me that running scheduled tourneys hours off schedule isn't acceptable.

TourneyBot does have the ability to run any tourney on a exact schedule.

There were some issues that made Tbot unreliable, but it looks like I fixed them.
(and the bug I found explained the behavior completely)

It can handle player clocks and either notify TDs or advance players on timeout
it can also send a complete log of all it's tells and the final standings in an email to the TD.

It is not perfect yet, but it has come a long way.

I have been running the Tues/Wed/Thur 3/5's for I think about 6 months and they
run well.. I have been using them to find problems.

Am I suggesting switching all scheduled tourneys to TBot? Heck No!
But I would encourage TD's to consider it for some tourneys.

The Bloody Mary "Sunday Special" at 1600UTC is currently running automatically scheduled.
I am very grateful to Sixty_something and socksey for doing this and sticking through the pain
that some bugs have brought.

Tbot is also running the Bloody Mary "Sunday Special"  Season II Championship which is a Multi-day
with week long player clocks, if there is any interest in some long format tourneys we can handle it too.

Month long 9+ pt matches are very possible.

The bot also can support league play, Tomawalky and I did some preliminary testing of a fairly generic interface
that any website could implement for Tbot to talk to.

I also have implemented visual brackets (maintained by tbot) which mostly done to test the league interface too

There are a log of features that have been added and I think we are very close to ready to utilize them

Tom

socksey

QuoteSeems to me that running scheduled tourneys hours off schedule isn't acceptable.

We do the best we can with what we have to work with.   :mad:  I haven't noticed you running any tourneys.   :huh:  If you think it's so easy, please do the job yourself!   :happy:  As a matter of fect, I haven't even noticed you playing in any tourneys, so what's it to ya!?   :unhappy:

Oh, and btw, I've never seen a tourney "hours off schedule". 

socksey

"Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't." - Mark Twain

Kari_Grandi

Nice replies for the message that was posted on 2005 ;).. Better late then never, as they say.

socksey

:lol:  Thx, Kari!  I didn't even notice the date!  Stog, u bad man!   :lol:  I'm thinking I hadn't seen DirtyHarry around for ages!   :lol:

socksey

"We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill

stog

its nice to see the silly walk though isn't it!

yes kari someone asked in anther topic and i responded & linked to it from here too, as this is where he could have posted his query initially....

no harm, if the info is in 2 places, as long as it is on the board and up to date.......