News:

howdy HNY 2023
just sorting out Fibsboard a bit basically archiving it & updating the software to protect the database

let me know of any problems/ideas thx

should be easier to view on mobile devices now that's it's a more responsive design

Main Menu

Mobile Fibs Client

Started by adamosad, April 16, 2005, 07:14:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adamosad

Hi everyone,

I did not know that there was a fibs client for mobiles.

I have a Sony Ericsson K700 mobile and one day that i was chatting with Amarganth, he told me that there is a mobile client for our specific model.

In the following page http://mobilebg.sourceforge.net/, it says that other mobiles can support the client too, but the programmer checked it only with this specific model. There are 6 more supported phones that can be checked by fibs users.

I have to say that I test the client and it works :D
You must insert your existing nickname and password, new game message, end game message and decling game message....something similar with javafibs automessages.
If you do not have an existing nickname, you must create one with normal computer methods (No way to do that from mobile).

Disadvantages: You can see the ready list and you must choose an opponent to invite. You can see only nicknames there. So there is not experience or rating info. Finally you can not chat with others. Consequently there is no way to see repbot info and you can easily play a dropper.

Advantages: It works and it can be a simple BG game if you are not online through the WAP.

adamosad

Oups, I connect again today to FIBS through this mobile client and i said something wrong. You can see the rating of all ready players but you can't see their experience.

adamosad

If someone tries to communicate with me when Iââ,¬â,,¢m logged in and he doesn't get an answer back then this means that Iââ,¬â,,¢m using this client.

So anyone who may want to ask me something about Rating Championship Tourney or Tourneystatsbot must try again next time. Iââ,¬â,,¢ll answer any question if I use a normal pc fibs client.

Tom

QuoteIn the following page http://mobilebg.sourceforge.net/, it says that other mobiles can support the client too, but the programmer checked it only with this specific model. There are 6 more supported phones that can be checked by fibs users.

I have to say that I test the client and it works :D
Sorry to say that SF project is now listed as Discontinued.

Too bad...

I have been trying to find a FIBS client that can run on my Axim X50v PDA

tom

Tom

ok thanks... still looks like a dead end...

sigh

croddy

it took a while to get things going, but i've taken over the project and it's active again, at http://sourceforge.net/projects/mobilebg2 .

unfortunately, i removed the fibs client in the latest releases because i could not verify that it worked and i was hoping to reduce the overall size and complexity of the application (the AI is making some annoying noncontact cube blunders and those are our main focus right now).

if there is interest, i could certainly add the fibs code once again, or perhaps split the fibs client off into a separate app.

i've attached the last release by the previous maintainer to this message. it installs successfully on my nokia 6230, and the one player game works fine. when i invite someone on fibs, it dies with an out of memory error, so breaking it off into a separate app (without the comparatively large neural nets) would probably help.

please post your experiences with it here. i'll keep an eye on this thread.

croddy

well, splitting the client off was easier than i thought it would be!

i've attached a testing release of the FIBS client only to this post. it works just great on my phone, and it's down to 56kB. i've also made it possible to resign in 1-point matches, which apparently was not possible before.

if you're interested, the source code is at http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/mobilebg2/mobilefibs/trunk/.

let me know how it goes. i don't think it's feasible to add kibitz/shout/say/etc., since text entry is so slow on these devices, but i'm open to suggestion for new features.

socksey

One mobile client, Odyessy, has become on the gag list with a lot of players due to lost connections (dropping).   :dry:  This was happening so frequently, that these players racked up a long saved list, therefore, causing them to appear as droppers.   :ohmy:  Please keep us informed if this changes.   :thumbsup2:

socksey

Your net worth to the world is usually determined by what remains after your bad habits are subtracted from your good ones. - Benjamin Franklin