News:

Add your picture URL in your profile.

Main Menu

Password retrieval idea

Started by webrunner, December 28, 2003, 02:06:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webrunner

How about this:
I create a subbmisstion form for creating an account on FIBS.
This form stores all the information in a database and then posts it to FIBS.
That way users can always retrieve the password from the database (a nice retrieval procedure wich sends it to the registered emailaddress).

Of course only (new) members who registered through the form can retrieve ther password.

BTW: I have found some software that can reveal the password in Windows applications (behind the *******).
So if anyone forgot his/her password but still has a windows client with the password stored: It can be revealed!!
The software can be found here and another one here

All this was just a thought after i read the project pages on Alef's site.

:yes:
"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

alef

It sounds like a lot of work, but if someone is interested in creating it then it would certainly help all new players. One way it could be set up is having a web page that all new players are sent to, first they register using this new form, then they're given advice on connecting to FIBS using Java, 3d, ParlorPlay, etc.

For existing players I'd suggest that if you remember your password now but it's not one you're often using any more then change it! FIBS passwords are not set in stone, see below.

-Alef

Quote> help password
NAME
  password - change password

SYNOPSIS
  password <old>:<new>:<new>

DESCRIPTION
  The password command can be used to change your password.
  You have to give your new password twice to avoid typos.
  The password will appear on the screen while you type it!
  Make sure that nobody is looking at your screen while you
  change your password. If the 'cls' command works on your
  terminal it's a good idea to use it right after changing
  your password. Note that the character that separates the
  old and the new password is a colon ':' to allow passwords
  containing space characters to be changed.

NOTE by marvin
  All passwords are encrypted before they are saved to the database.
  That means that if you forget your password there is no way for
  me to recover it. Unless you can prove (you can't) that you are the
  owner of an account I will not change the password and send you
  a new one. So, please make sure that you remember your password.

webrunner

Another idea is if the users use the same password here as on FIBS.
The password retrieval system is already implemented in this forum.
<_<  
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

noodlefibs

Hi board, especially Eric and Alef!

:yes: today i was happy to have a password retrieval system for fibsboard itself  ;)
As it was top-priority on improve-fibs it sounds like a must have - if effordable.
(is there such a word in english like that? i mean affordable and worth the efforts)

Would be no big deal in PHP4 and MySql to have it done for new members.
Will need good promotion on www.fibs.com and perhaps in the text send by fibs-server if u try to register via telnet.

so long , the night calls me on duty for a recent project,
Oli aka noodlefibs

alef

Below is Patti's response given via the improveFIBS mailing list. She asked me to relay this message onto this board as she doesn't have time spare for this newer forum.

Quote>Andreas and Patti,
>
>At the FIBS board a topic has started on the idea of designing
>webpages for new players to register on FIBS, which would hold
>their passwords and register them.
>
>http://www.fibsboard.com/index.php?showforum=11
>
>Please let us know if you have any objections to this being implemented
>and then promoted on fibs.com. As neither of you have previously shown
>any objections to developments done independently from the outside I
>assume we can take no reply to mean you don't mind.
>
>-Alef

My concern would be around security... if you're storing passwords in
a way that they can be retrieved easily, then you're opening up a big
ole can o'worms.

Maybe just saving a password hint would be better?

-Patti

webrunner

Anyway we do it, i can host it on this server.
Maybe some other members has some ideas about this?
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

jinnate

so instead of making it something that happens automatically, how about an option? how about a member having the option of storing their fibs password here on fibsboard? and maybe you could make it an option accessible in myprofile or something. that way, old and new members can use it, and it's not something that's mandatory when you register for fibsboard.

it's stored in myprofile and i click on a button for fibsboard to email me a copy of my fibsboard (and if i've stored it) and my fibs password as well.

alef

here you're somewhat providing a service already. *if* players happen to use the same password for both this board and the server then they can retrieve their passwords.

general reminder: if your FIBS password is something you don't use much anymore but still remember but might forget then change it now!

type command password <old>:<new>:<new>[/font]

diane

Never give up on the things that make you smile

maria

Wouldn't it just be easier to use a password you'll remember???

diane

Of course...but it is'nt always that simple - by the time you have 40 or so passwords, and many of mine have to be changed every three months, remembering them all [and you cant write them down] is not so easy.

As it is, knowing they were 'not retrievable', and a need to log in from many locations, using different interfaces has made me very sure I know my fibs password  ;)
Never give up on the things that make you smile

Patti

Actually, the best way to remember your passwords is to not save them on your system.  If you have to type the password every time you log in, then you'll very rarely forget it.

socksey

I keep all my passwords in a hands on file next to my computer desk.  I have so many, couldn't possibly remember them all!   :laugh:  Every time I create a new password, I am sure to write it into the file.  I started out simple and it grew and grew.   :ohmy:  I now have 5 pages of passwords that I double space typed, but it's now getting to the point, I'm going to have to reprint after updating the original.   :yes:

I filed my passwords in a remotely named file on my computer first so as to possibly hide it from intruders.  When my computer crashed with some kind of virus, before I had my system cleaned, I emailed the passwords to myself.   :)

I put the most important passwords onto one sheet and printed them out for me to take on my travels.   ;)

socksey

The intellect has little to do on the road to discovery.  There comes a leap in consciousness, call it intuition or what you will, and the solution comes to you and you don't know how or why. - Albert Einstein