TimeBot-- new beta bot

Started by Patti, May 05, 2008, 03:12:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patti

I just created a bot called TimeBot.

Its function is quite simple-- it will tell you how recently two players started, resumed, or completed a match.  It doesn't have much data right now, since it's only been scraping for a few minutes, but it seems to be working OK.

To use it:

tell TimeBot query player1 player2

and it will return the number of seconds since player1 and player2 started, resumed, or completed a match.  If the bot doesn't have any information it returns 99999.  player1 and player2 can be in either order, and names aren't case sensitive.

I only just whipped this up so it may well be buggy, but so far it seems to be working OK.  It was only about 20 minutes of coding.

The potential application of said bot is left as an exercise for the reader.

cassandra

hi patti, @ll!

this botwar is amusing  :cool:

some bots are surely usefull. tourneybot or naccibot for example are usefull for me.
this timebot maybe usefull, but i dont know for what - for me at the moment. sometimes i use the command *ongoing*

will it be possible to find out, how long time AND how often the same opponents play?
can this timebot be a *flirt-analyser*?

:wub:

thanks, patti  :)

cu cassandra

Patti

cassandra, one of my big beefs with RepBot is that anyone can complain about anyone, and that leads to nasty ganging up and to people creating sock puppets to abuse RepBot.  My proposal for fixing it is to only allow vouches and complaints within some fixed period of time (a few hours, certainly no more than 24) of the two people playing a match.

I wrote TimeBot mostly as a proof-of-concept, but you can see now why it might be interesting?

cassandra

indeed!
vouch and complain immediately is a good thing!

thank you

adrian

Quoteone of my big beefs with RepBot is that anyone can complain about anyone, and that leads to nasty ganging up and to people creating sock puppets to abuse RepBot.  My proposal for fixing it is to only allow vouches and complaints within some fixed period of time (a few hours, certainly no more than 24) of the two people playing a match.

Thank you Patti !  :thumbsup:

I hope Avi knows about the new bot and this idea (or even the new bot) may help him to finish sooner the cosmetics on RepBot.
Helping people is tricky. Give help to anyone and he will remember it only when he is in need again.

socksey

Quotecreating sock puppets to abuse RepBot

There you go again!   :steam:  This reminds me of how tired I was listening to other coin phrases like "trickle down economics", "Reaganomics", and, of course, those no no words of mine (the "N" word, and "entrails").

The idea should be useful and I certainly agree with you on the total concept.  I have done as you said and engaged in emails with avik.   ;)

socksey

Shotgun wedding:  A case of wife or death. - unknown