News:

**Inspired by recurrent discussions in FIBS shouts on issues concerning science and consciousness, we have introduced an ISP Board on Fibsboard.com ...a space set aside for more considered esoteric meanderings on ideas science and philosophy --- "concept formation and elucidation" .....> the philosophy/physiology/ structure and function of a fibster or fibsboarder!
take a look at http://www.fibsboard.com/ideas-science-and-philosophy/

Main Menu

Game 5, move 1 : Herd 6-5

Started by diane, May 12, 2013, 12:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diane

After Herds move, Linus rolled 3-1, and made the 5 point - as I just couldn't see him doing anything else at that point.

Herd now up again with this 6-5.
Never give up on the things that make you smile

Julia_H

Spoiler
Both running moves look good, but 22/11 both moves the one more vulnerable to attack, and puts an extra builder in our outfield. Seems clear to me...
[close]

KDP

Spoiler
i dont think there is a huge difference between either plays.  at this point in the match we just need to win this game.  im more inclined to move the guy off the 24.  it safety's a checker and moves the man which is farther away than the other, which is often the hardest to get home. one  blot is better than 2  for me. 
[close]

KDP

one more thing, even though 13-2 is a candidate and legal play i cant honestly see anyone doing this.  the difference between 24-13 and 22-11 is minimal.

ah_clem

Spoiler

I've been dinged repeatedly by XG and gnu for playing lover's leap in similar positions.  22/11 is typically ~.05 better than 24/13.

The reason is that the checker on the 22 is more likely to be attacked, we don't really want another checker on the bloated midpoint, and the 11 makes a nice builder.  Add 'em up and you get something better than the auto-pilot play.

[close]

Zorba

Spoiler
This is an interesting choice with an early 6-5 that comes up every now and then with split backcheckers. Just run one man to complete safety with 24/13, leaving the other backman closer to the mid but also more in danger of being attacked; or run the more advanced backman around the mid, vulnerable to a few indirect shots but also useful as a builder, while the other backman sits safely back on 24, but a bit farther away from the mid?

The bots sure taught me to move the more advanced backchecker more often. So what are important factors that come into play?

• Number of indirect shots at the run-around checker: here it's only 6-4 for 2 shots.
  • Usefulness as builder: all we got is an extra builder on 8 so far, so the builder on 11 is very useful
  • Danger of advanced backchecker if playing 24/13: Linus already made his fivepoint, he'll be very eager to attack. The gammon-go-ish matchscore is an extra incentive to attack.
  • How do specific numbers play for opponent? Strong duplication can be a factor favouring one play over an other. It doesn't seem very relevant here, attacking plays at our 22 backchecker are not really duplicated, nor is the 6-4 hit at our 11pt checker duplicated with the other play.

That looks like 3 factors clearly in favour of 22/11 and one neutral, so I'm pretty confident that 22/11 is best and 24/13 an error (but not a blunder).

[close]
The fascist's feelings of insecurity run so deep that he desperately needs a classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the fascist's embracement of concepts like mental illness and IQ tests.  - R.J.V.

Luck is my main skill

ah_clem

No cubes this game, so we should be able to do rollouts immediately.  I'll hold off it the position looks "static" i.e. we may be faced with a simolar decision next roll.

rollout

Spoiler

3-ply analysis says that Lover's leap is about a .02 error, but a full rollout shows a much smaller difference - after 1296 trials it's still within the margin of error.   22/11 comes out on top, but not by much.

XGID=-b----E-D---eD---b-db-A-A-:0:0:1:65:4:1:1:5:10

1. Rollout¹    22/11                        eq:-0.208
      Player:   48.27% (G:15.13% B:2.06%)
      Opponent: 51.73% (G:16.90% B:0.60%)
      Confidence: ±0.006 (-0.215..-0.202) - [90.7%]
      Duration: 18 minutes 39 seconds

2. Rollout¹    24/13                        eq:-0.214 (-0.006)
      Player:   48.66% (G:15.47% B:2.10%)
      Opponent: 51.34% (G:18.24% B:0.58%)
      Confidence: ±0.006 (-0.220..-0.208) - [9.3%]
      Duration: 19 minutes 38 seconds

¹  1296 Games rolled with Variance Reduction.
   Moves: 3-ply, cube decisions: XG Roller

eXtreme Gammon Version: 2.10, MET: Kazaross XG2

[close]