News:

hover/mouseover topics on the forum/board index, now gives you the preview of the first post within a topic

Main Menu

Tourney Director system changed

Started by MadMatt, August 14, 2004, 12:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gogogiz

hello all..

with regards to the tourneybot being open to all....when i first learned of this i thought oh oh..this will be chaos...ie...everyone will want to be a t.d...and if we are to have lots more t.d.'s running more tourneys then it will be murder..lots of people trying to run tourneys at the same time..allready i have noticed tourneys opening and starting virtually 5 mins later with no warnings and few players and also tourneys opening and then people recieving bans although they never registerd for it and it not actually starting...ie..snowflakes opened a tourney and sent bans to zorie and portwine...im not sure if anyone else got bans but i know the tourney never started and then i hear about sparks and the way he run a tourney...i am no way against anyone becoming a t.d but what i can see happening is an abuse of tourneybot in the same way people use repbot for abuse.....i may be wrong and i hope i am...only time will tell...

adrian

Try this my fibs friends: Live and let others live.  :unsure:  
Helping people is tricky. Give help to anyone and he will remember it only when he is in need again.

PortWine

I think the simple thing is people will learn whose tourney to register for and whose tourney not to register for.  It is as simple as that.  They will learn the names they can trust.

Funny....all this talk about don and I have not seen him become a TD or hold any tourneys.  Guess now that the argument is over it is no fun for him anymore.   <_<

Did a tourney last night and it filled up in 8 minutes.  Guess there are still people out there that like a good tourney.

And yes, the kiddies have gotten into tourneybot.  It is fun being banned.  Now I know how don feels! bwhahahahahahaha

PortWine

MadMatt

QuoteGreat idea to open up Tourneybot to eveyone Matt!  The only problem is that it wasn't your idea!

The idea to open up Tourneybot came from the same group of self serving obnoxious TDs that I count myself a part of (which of course is every TD who did not agree with you!)  Tourneybot is your baby, so it was your choice, but please give credit where credit is due.  The only problem with giving us credit is that it sorta undermines your argument that we were a bunch of elitists.

You might also mention that all of us self-important TDs, who supposedly wanted a secret society, all dropped out of the "secret" area of fibsboard weeks ago.  Again, that would burst your bubble of the TDs being an elitist group.

Lastly, as I am on at allllll hours of the day and night, I would like to mention the fact that these same self serving group of TDs were the ones who have held the largest percentage of tourneys.    Why you felt the need to malign us (and I use "us" because it is pretty obvious to anyone who has been paying the least bit of attention) is beyond me.

But thanks for all the fun tourneybot has brought me and the people who have played my tourneys.  It has been fun.

PW    :2drunk:

PS - I too am glad to help out anyone who needs it to run their own tourneys.  Just remember that the phrases "yo yo" and "drunken tourney" are trademarks of PortWine!
I am not interested in bickering on this board anymore, so there's no need to address your ######y posts to me. As far as who came up with the idea, I think you'll find it that you were wrong - I was thinking about this before TourneyBot ever saw the light of day. So maybe it is you who needs to get their facts straight first before berating other people on the board.

And I didn't mention any names when I spoke about bad TDs either, but it looks you recognized yourself as one of them... Whose fault is that?
MadMatt
----------

TourneyBot Website

MadMatt

Oh yeah, just in case anyone's thinking of suing me for stealing "their" idea, here's an excerpt from my post of June 24th, 2004. You can find it under the JonJon thread in the TD Cafe forum:

Now, perhaps the biggest mistake was introducing the concept of a Tourney Director. Maybe I should have allowed everyone to host tourneys, or base it on experience and/or reputation. Is this something worth considering? If anyone has an opinion on it, I'd like to hear it. The TD group is increasingly more a group of friends trying to bring as much of FIBS under their control as possible. Or that seems to be the impression among many FIBSters. I have resisted trying to put the TourneyBot under such control (you will remember my saying no to personal ban lists and enforced minimum reputation requirements). Are these people now using a tool they can control (the FIBS Board community site) to go around the ideals I had while creating TourneyBot?
MadMatt
----------

TourneyBot Website

diane

Not to be too pedantic, didn't the jonjon thread come along after we decided to kick him out of the forum? And didn't jonjon have an opinion on 'burpers idea' - a little different from the one expressed here maybe - but an opinion nevertheless.  This makes one event predate the other by quite a bit.  But never mind - whoever the idea came from - it is having an impact - and it is certainly raising some questions.

To explain - no one is sueing anyone - no one is particularly claiming ownership of ideas - the point was purely that people are hardly likely to be upset by the implementation of a suggestion they made (at whatever point in history), which you implied might be the case in your oringinal post.

And also - this thread is now progressing in much the same way as all the ones in the TD cafe - and it was that I sought to avoid by leaving  :(
Never give up on the things that make you smile

burper

Hey, I've said it before and I'll say it again: having a discussion full of fragile emotions is better than none at all. If people want to spend time taking credit, or assigning blame, flaming each other, accusing each other of things, whatever... as long as there is something worthy of discussion. Some people have flame fests with no content, but I don't believe this is one of those.

If the noise-to-signal ratio gets too high, then I guess the less interested will leave, and eventually the discussion will find it's end, but the most important thing, is having the discussion in the first place. At least if you believe in an open system. If you *are* one of those control freaks and want to just decide on things all on your own without all those pesky opinions, then you should probably be writing commercial software instead of public domain software where other ideas may creep in and upset you. At least MM admits he does not want to "bicker". Are you not capable of anything somewhere between absolute control and bickering? I think you are.

I am glad we have at least established who and when this idea of evil TD's somehow "controlling" FIBS came up. It's an absurd one, and should be killed. If someone wants to explain in what ways someone can control FIBS, then state it. Sending messages from TourneyBot? People can perma-gag. Speaking of only that  nasty ban message you put in? Simply silence the ban command (that's what TBot does). Having the ability to run tourneys where others can not? There was a system of becoming a TD if you actually wanted to do that WORK. What, some people were denied for some reason? Hey, ultimately those were MadMatt's decisions, and like all others, not subject to any debate.

Stay at the table MM! Reduce the emotions and just talk! Glad to see you here again :)

As far as open TD systems, I believe have humans in the loop is better. TourneyBot may work out the way you have it now, but I think there are some future directions you may have damaged. For isntance, the scheduling stuff. The spam controls are fine, and the market system for establishing good TD's from bad ones, but imagine what bad ones could do with scheduling?

PortWine

Well, if you start off a thread with an attack, it will quickly denigrate into more attacks, don;t you think?  Your name says it all, but don;t color me with the same brush because I defend myself.

As for identifying myself, since you go on about the "don issue", and there are at least 5 or more threads from don attacking me, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.  So I will write what I want to write thank you very much!

But that being said, I am bored with this and have said what I think needs to be said.

PortWine  

diane

Quotehaving a discussion full of fragile emotions is better than none at all

I guess you are probably right as usual, but all this nastiness between essentially good people doesn't sit easy with me.

In my travels thru the archives of fibs stuff - I found this interesting comment, made by a well known and respected fibster

QuoteOnly a few ppl should be able to start a tourney with
the bot so it doesn't become overloaded by evil users.

This comment was made in 2002, when the bot was still a gleam in everyones eye.

I am not saying that is the right or wrong approach - just, this is fibs - and those who know it well will appreciate the difficulties that will always surface here.  Only the strong survive them.
Never give up on the things that make you smile

burper

Is that really here diane, or was it from the imrpoveFibs site where tourneybot was first conceived of?
You can't just put that up there without telling us (or me privately at least) who said it. When you say "respected", it rules so many people out ;)

MadMatt

Look, like I said, I'm not interested in this. If you want to play the victim or take cheap shots at my nickname, be my guest.

Those who have something positive to contribute have already done so and those who are interested in a lengthy argument about who should get the credit and whether I did it just to spite them will continue to flame on as usual, thereby proving my original post's every point.
MadMatt
----------

TourneyBot Website

burper

QuoteLook, like I said, I'm not interested in this. If you want to play the victim or take cheap shots at my nickname, be my guest.
That's clearly targetted at PortWine, so I will ignore it.

Those who have something positive to contribute have already done so
Thanks, but I'm not done. Please respond to what I have said, when you have the time. What did you think about the scheduling thing?

and those who are interested in a lengthy argument about who should get the credit and whether I did it just to spite them will continue to flame on as usual, thereby proving my original post's every point.
Whoever that is, clearly it's not me. socksey and diane maybe? In any case, I agree, it's counter-productive. Let's move forward.

socksey

QuoteQUOTE 

and those who are interested in a lengthy argument about who should get the credit and whether I did it just to spite them will continue to flame on as usual, thereby proving my original post's every point.

Whoever that is, clearly it's not me. socksey and diane maybe? In any case, I agree, it's counter-productive. Let's move forward.

CERTAINLY, not ME!  I agree with you.  This is counter-productive.  Let's close this thread.

socksey

Live simply, laugh often, love deeply