News:

we need 2 or 3 small donations a month, and an ad or 2 each month, consistently over the year, to keep the board going.....http://www.fibsboard.com/donate.php

Main Menu

Microphones

Started by SoSoSo, December 09, 2006, 12:37:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoSoSo

Hi all.  I just joined FIBS last night. I've been playing on Yahoo! for the last 3 or 4 years.  So far, so good. 

I am wondering if the people behind FIBS have ever thought of enabling microphone chat.  Instead of typing messages back and forth to your opponent, you could engage in a worthwhile conversation or even tutor them with two microphone headsets.  It's kind of hard to talk with or tutor someone through type because it slows down the game experience.  Have you ever thought of this idea?  I presented it to Yahoo! a while back, but only got a generic response stating that they are always improving their experience.  I would love to see FIBS offer microphone chatting and I hope you like the idea. 

It's great that you offer FIBS for macintosh users.  It's sometimes hard to find places to play for mac users.  Don't stop.

webrunner

To integrate it in Fibs is nearly impossible since it needs considerable changhes to the server, but you can just use MSN of skype can't you?
"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

SoSoSo

A little confused by what you mean by "MSN of skype."  Are you referring to MSN games or the VOIP program Skype.  Either way, MSN games isn't for mac users, so I can't use it.  Secondly, with Skype you would have to call your opponent over the computer.  This would require knowing the phone number of every person you played, which isn't realistic.   

socksey

MSN has an instant messenger feature as does Yahoo, gmail.com and several others now used with speakers and microphone to chat live as well as typing.  Skype is an online talk only service that can also be used with phones in pay mode.  All can be used by buddy system by sharing method and nick.  I think all of these systems may be used by Mac or PC users if your system has the capability.

socksey

"Truth usually hurts in proportion to how much I have ignored or disbelieved it." -Gene Dwyer

spielberg

To clarify sox's reply:

You certainly don't need to know your friends phone number to use Skype (by far the most popular VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) client). All you need do is swap details with whoever you want to talk to.

Best of all Skype is free, has no nasty embedded spyware and runs on PCs, Macs and Linux. I recommend it to all. Download it from :http://www.skype.com/intl/en-gb/

socksey

Thank you, spiel.   :)  I probably didn't explain that quite clearly enough.  Skype does have a cheap phone landline pay mode, tho.   :yes:  Check it out, too.   ;) 

socksey

"Passive activity income does not include the following Income for an activity that is not a passive activity." - IRS form 8583, Passive Activity Loss Limitation