News:

Look into the LINKS section. Please add your favorite backgammon links.

Main Menu

Need a couple of volunteers for FIBS website/wiki

Started by Patti, June 23, 2009, 02:09:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patti

One of the things that I've wanted to do for a while is turn the fibs.com website into a wiki.   That will make it much easier to keep the site up-to-date with new content and information.  However, the process of converting the existing site to a wiki is going to take more time than I have right now.

To that end, I'm looking for a few volunteers to manage the transition, and maintain the site on an ongoing basis.  The big task right now would be to take all of the existing content and transition it to the new wiki.  Once that is done, maintenance work should be fairly light.

I need one content organizer and a couple of maintainers.  Maintainers should understand web and wiki basics, be able to write well, be responsible and trustworthy, play well with others, and be willing to put in a few hours of work to get the new site in shape.  Being able to deal with foreign-language content is a plus.

The content organizer should have all of those skills, and also be able to deal with logical organization of content, formatting rules, etc.  Knowing a little bit about pmwiki will be helpful for this person, as I would like to use group permissions for at least one part of the site.

I might also be interested in having someone do custom CSS, but we can also probably get by with existing skins.

None of this requires linux skills-- it's all web-based.

If you're interested in helping with this, please drop me a line at pattib AT fibs DOT com, letting me know what you want to do and why you're qualified.

Tomawaky

Hi Patti,

I am always here if I can help for Fibs. My english is not enough to help for the main work, but I can help for all and for sure for the French translation.

Why not upgrade this ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Internet_Backgammon_Server
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

don

Hey Patti.

I've got a Wiki editor pword, and have actually contributed to the existing article on FIBS.  I could do content or maintain.  What would you like?  How can I help?

Tomawaky asks the good question:  existing WIKI-FIBS or new entry?  Obviously, duh, you'd have the final say ...

--
don
So many string dimensions, so little space time...

Patti

I don't understand your question.  Or, more precisely, I think you are confused.

I'm not talking about the Wikipedia entry on FIBS.  I'm talking about turning the fibs.com website into an editable wiki.  I don't know what pword is, but I doubt it would be appropriate for this.

In case this clears up some confusion:  "A wiki" is not Wikipedia.  A wiki is a website that is editable by users, using a generalized set of markup language.  Wikipedia is one example of a wiki, but "a wiki" does not mean Wikipedia.  Some people call Wikipedia "wiki", as though that were its name, but that's inaccurate.

Tomawaky

That was my question. Why not editing wikipedia that is very used and redirect Fibs.com to it !
But I can understand too that we prefer to control it between some identified users who will keep the Fibs page up to date.
So your choice seems to be wiki for Fibs. Let's go on it. I was just asking if Wikipedia would not be a solution...
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

Patti

Wikipedia is an ecyclopedia-- it's not documentation about the site.  You'd never go to wikipedia to get a list of available clients, FAQ, etc.  Wikipedia has certain goals, styles, etc. that aren't compatible with an individual website.

Why does IBM have its own website rather than just a Wikipedia entry? 

Großmaulfrosch

Wo der Gaißenpeter herkommt, da meckern die Gaißen und nicht die Frauen.

inim

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki

That's the software the "real" wikipedia deploys, well maintained and modular. Modern Linuxes should allow for package based maintainance of this software. I'm using it as a project wiki in my projects, never let me down.
This space is available for rent by advertisers. Call 0900-INIMITE today, and see your sales skyrocketing in no time! New customers receive free Vl@9rå and a penis enlargement set as a bonus! We support banners, flash banners, and scrollers. Discrete handling by our HQ on the Dutch Antilles.

stog

i think the web based script conversion mentioned above allows for conversion to mediawiki, which as u say can then be maintained as a true mediawiki installation

Patti

Script-based conversion doesn't really allow for intelligent rearchtecting of content.

Thanks all for the recommendations, but I already have the software that I want to use and the reconstruction project is well underway.

luckystar09

Interesting thought, i completely agree with your perspective
comparatif simulation pret personnel en ligne taux credit[/color] Faire un pret immobilier en ligne avec un bon creditcomparatif simulation pret personnel en ligne taux credit[/color]