News:

we need 2 or 3 small donations a month, and an ad or 2 each month, consistently over the year, to keep the board going.....http://www.fibsboard.com/donate.php

Main Menu

TourneyBot Automatic Tourneys

Started by Tom, November 30, 2009, 01:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I have been running the mid-day (for me) automatic Three/Fives tourneys for maybe a year now (wow that long)

I would like to expand the schedule to other times of the day.

But this will mean tourneys when I am not around, I am not that worried about that because I don't
watch the tourneys I do not play in.

I just was wondering when people would like to see tourneys run.

I would also be interested in some longer tourneys, maybe Five/Sevens, All Sevens, etc.

The biggest argument I hear against long format tourneys is "I don't have time to play that long" yet I also see
people who are online for hours and hours... so clearly they may be people who have time :)

The tourneybot also can support multi-day tourneys, maybe we could have a weekly long tourney. (13pt? 21pt?)

I'd like to hear from people who actually play tourneys.

Tom

socksey

I was chatting about the tourneys with someone only yesterday.  We are thinking there are too many tourneys and perhaps that is why the participation has been down on Fri3 and Mini-Matches.  I'm not saying this is so.  Just a thought.   :dry:

I'd like to hear some other opinions, too.   :)

socksey

Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now. - Lithograph from Despair.com

Tomawaky

I has stopped long format tourney like Bracket, Swiss or this one too  :(
Players seem to get bored with time and it's always difficult to finish them.
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

Tom

OK - forget longer tourneys...

right now they run between 1500UTC and 1800UTC

how about different times of day?

0100? 2000?

Not everyone on FIBS is from USA or Europe, are they?

tom

Tomawaky

I think that it is a better direction to look at  :thumbsup:
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

dorbel

I'd like to hear some other opinions, too.

I bet you wouldn't like to hear mine!

Tom

Well maybe... but remember I did say:

Quote from: Tom on November 30, 2009, 01:02:24 PM
I'd like to hear from people who actually play tourneys.

:)

Tom

dorbel

I still do enter tournaments on fibs, but I used to enter them more often than I do now. I would have thought that if you want to know why the entry for previously popular tournaments is falling, that would make my opinion of interest. In general marketing terms, the people you want to speak to are those who don't now buy your product or have never done so.

Tom

I am sorry I was kidding and it was missed...

Besides you already said I didn't want to hear what you had to say!

Please tell...

tom

dorbel

Tom

Ok then...

I feel like there is a lot of talk and no new information...

I suggested 2 things...

1) Different times
2) Longer formats
2a) Maybe short multi-day tourneys

Ok that is 3 things...

It seems 2 & 2a are not of interest

So how about #1?

The real answer may lie in adding a tourney when most of us are sleeping and see if other regions play them.
(Asia, India, etc)

tom

socksey

I'd like to see a shorter tourney, i.e., 1/3, perhaps.   :)

socksey

It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they're big enough, the pain only lasts a second. - Lithograph from Despair.com

diane

Quote from: Tom on December 01, 2009, 12:17:50 PM
Not everyone on FIBS is from USA or Europe, are they?

No!  ;)  Although I will need to get settled and some proper broadband installed before I can enter tournaments on a regular basis.  Although, at that point, I may start hosting again - something that fits better with Ozzie times. [assuming I can drag myself off the beach  ;) ]
Never give up on the things that make you smile

stog

take your board to the beach- but don't forget to attach a leash!

Tom

Quote from: diane on December 03, 2009, 01:49:09 AM
No!  ;)  Although I will need to get settled and some proper broadband installed before I can enter tournaments on a regular basis.  Although, at that point, I may start hosting again - something that fits better with Ozzie times. [assuming I can drag myself off the beach  ;) ]

I would love to test the waters with an automatic tourney... what time would be good?

Remember with the auto you don't need to be there... if you are around that is good! and don't forget to PLAY!

tom

Tom

I have scheduled Three/Fives for Christmas day

All times UTC

0200, 0500, 0800, 1100, 1400, 2100, 2400 - Registration starts 20 mins before the starting time

I left a 4 hour opening for F3

I will likely do the same thing on New Years Eve/Day maybe with some longer formats (and longer spacing)

Come out and play!

tom