News:

**VIP donor members can set up a profile gallery, only viewable by those on their buddy list ****

Main Menu

Exception on startup with the latest JVM

Started by MadMatt, June 19, 2004, 10:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadMatt

The following exception occures when launching JavaFibs 2001 with the newest Java 1.5 beta (on Windows):

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
   at javax.swing.ImageIcon.<init>(Unknown Source)
   at javax.swing.ImageIcon.<init>(Unknown Source)
   at sun.swing.WindowsPlacesBar.<init>(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.WindowsFileChooserUI.updateUseShellFolder(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.WindowsFileChooserUI.installComponents(Unknown Source)
   at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicFileChooserUI.installUI(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.WindowsFileChooserUI.installUI(Unknown Source)
   at javax.swing.JComponent.setUI(Unknown Source)
   at javax.swing.JFileChooser.updateUI(Unknown Source)
   at javax.swing.JFileChooser.setup(Unknown Source)
   at javax.swing.JFileChooser.<init>(Unknown Source)
   at javax.swing.JFileChooser.<init>(Unknown Source)
   at cd.<init>(cd.java)
   at z.J(z.java)
   at z.<init>(z.java)
   at JavaFIBS2001.main(JavaFIBS2001.java)

The JVM is Java™ 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0-beta2-b51)
Java HotSpot™ Client VM (build 1.5.0-beta2-b51, mixed mode)

Has anyone successfully launched JavaFIBS with this latest JVM? This is really too bad, since 1.5 seems to be quite a bit faster and not so memory intensive than the previous versions.
MadMatt
----------

TourneyBot Website

diane

Sounds good on the memory and fast bit - but i'll wait until you got it working  :D  
Never give up on the things that make you smile

cthulhu

I have yet to see a beta JRE that fully works with JavaFIBS. They simply refuse. All of them. Always. It's probably just a waste of time trying until the final version comes out.

MadMatt

QuoteI have yet to see a beta JRE that fully works with JavaFIBS. They simply refuse. All of them. Always. It's probably just a waste of time trying until the final version comes out.
But. Everything else works fine, all my other Java stuff... Are you sure it's nothing on your side that makes it die?
MadMatt
----------

TourneyBot Website

cthulhu

From a brief look at the exception it seems there's something about the look-and-feel that goes nuts. Something I don't have any control of.  So, yes, I'm sure. This kind of error has happened with every beta version that has come out, but still worked beutifully with the final release. I expect the same thing to happen this time.