News:

Free Competition --3 won copies of Bgblitz2Go details  here http://www.fibsboard.com/free-competition-win-bgblitz2go-p85

Main Menu

Game 1, move 3, Readers 3-1?

Started by Zorba, June 17, 2010, 11:10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zorba

Readers moved 24/21 6/5, dorbel rolled 3-1, made the fivepoint 8/5 6/5, now readers with another 3-1.

XGID=-a---BC-C--AfD---b-dbA--A-:0:0:1:31:0:0:0:5:10
The fascist's feelings of insecurity run so deep that he desperately needs a classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the fascist's embracement of concepts like mental illness and IQ tests.  - R.J.V.

Luck is my main skill

ah_clem

Spoiler

The anchor on the 21 is a darn fine point to own.  Making the 10 is not nearly as useful, since we'll probably just play off it to make a better point. So, 24/21 is the way to play the three.

As for where to play the one, 6/5 does nothing other than strip the 6-point while 11/10 moves the blot to observe the four point.  Moreover, since 5s and 4s are blocked, moving it closer to the runner does not increase the likelihood of it being hit.

The other move I might consider is 8/7 - with an advanced anchor we can play more boldly. But although I'm considering it, I consider it to be unnecessarily risky and not for me.

24/21 11/10
[close]

gumpi

Spoiler
grabbing the anchor without a thought. moving 11/10 gives you four more rolls to make 4- or barpoint(62,63) at the same cost
of 2 indirects . looks definitely best.
[close]

gumpi

:cool: thx!

stog

select the text to be spoiled and click the radioactive symbol...

Spoiler

text
[close]

or
[spoiler]
text[/spoiler]

RickrInSF

I'm new to this forum, but i agree with 60, it's a great idea. Last roll i voted for 13-10, 6-5 and would like to point out that with this 3-1 we would have been able to make the point on the 7 and block in the straggler. (assuming dorbel still makes the 5 pt)
Being new, i'm not sure how it's usually done, am i supposed to pick the move i would make? or read the comments first and then vote after i think about the arguments?

stog

both! i usually make my vote first then, if after reading any persuasive text, later on, i can choose to 'remove vote' - then vote again with my new choice..

often a few of us have been persuaded by another's argument to change our vote this way.

this makes the threads good to come back to, up to  and approaching  "voting ends "

ah_clem

Quote from: RickrInSF on June 17, 2010, 06:32:38 PM
Being new, i'm not sure how it's usually done, am i supposed to pick the move i would make? or read the comments first and then vote after i think about the arguments?

Welcome to the Fibsboard matches Rick (and gumpi too).

You can do it whichever way you please, but I find that it's a better learning experience to analyze the decision entirely on my own before looking at what others have said.  I don't even look at the voting options, since that gives something away (if my move isn't there, I figure there must be something wrong with it, and if there's an option I didn't consider I need to be better at making sure I examine all the plays over the board.)  I usually post my initial analysis, warts and all, but if you choose to keep it to yourself that's fine too.

Then, once I've made my choice and voted, I look at the voting results  and read the other players' analysis and if I'm convinced that there's a better move than mine, I'll switch my vote.  Sometimes there's some back-and-forth chouette-like discussion, which is usually a good learning experience.  If necessary, I'll practice "Strategic voting", e.g. in this position there are three choices, but two are basically the same idea - if the vote was split between 24/21 11/10     and 24/21 6/5 with the result that making the 10 point was actually ahead, I'd switch my vote to put making the five point win.

Some participants simply vote and never say why.  That's ok too.

There's not a lot of hard and fast rules, other than to refrain from looking at bot results until the vote is over (or if you do, keep your mouth shut until it is).  Also, when cube decision are lurking we like to delay looking at bot results for a few moves as they may influence the cube decisions. 

In the spirit of learning, we'll sometimes discuss articles, reference positions, MEQ tables, etc which would normally be verboten in over the board play.   The important thing is to prompt good discussion about the position. Of course, sometimes there's not much to discuss.

Zorba

XG Roller+ verdict:

Spoiler

1. XG Roller+  24/21 11/10                  eq:+0,089
      Player  : 51,04% (G:11,00% B:0,27%)
      Opponent: 48,96% (G:6,60% B:0,21%)

2. XG Roller+  24/21 6/5                    eq:+0,055 (-0,034)
      Player  : 50,26% (G:11,03% B:0,27%)
      Opponent: 49,74% (G:7,03% B:0,23%)

3. XG Roller+  24/21 8/7                    eq:-0,052 (-0,141)
      Player  : 47,87% (G:11,02% B:0,28%)
      Opponent: 52,13% (G:9,53% B:0,31%)

4. XG Roller+  13/10 11/10                  eq:-0,084 (-0,173)
      Player  : 48,06% (G:11,54% B:0,41%)
      Opponent: 51,94% (G:12,72% B:0,49%)

eXtreme Gammon Version: 1.14, MET: Rockwell-Kazaross
[close]
The fascist's feelings of insecurity run so deep that he desperately needs a classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the fascist's embracement of concepts like mental illness and IQ tests.  - R.J.V.

Luck is my main skill