News:

controversial "other online games" Board introduced --GO, Poker, Scrabble and gosh even Chess.....let me know :)

Main Menu

New Mobile Phone Fibs Client

Started by milen, November 20, 2005, 08:15:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milen

Odesys has released Backgammon 3.0. It features a FIBS client that allows mobile phone users to play on FIBS. All you need is a Java, MIDP 2.0 phone with enabled data service. Backgammon 3.0 is designed to be gentle on your phone's battery and your phone bill by making as little network traffic as possible. You will also be pleased to find that Backgammon's already excellent user interface has been further improved in this version. And here is the best part - Backgammon 3.0 can be downloaded for FREE!

More information about Odesys Backgammon 3.0 and download instructions can be found at http://odesys.com/wireless/games/backgammon/

Enjoy!

adamosad

I downloaded another mobile bg program which I use every time I miss backgammon (only for ericsson K700i) See this

For the one I have: project has been discontinued and downloads are no longer available. This one seems to have more "extras" and it works on a variety of mobiles including my model.

I wonder if you can create a direct download to the pc. Then I can send it with my bluetooth to my mobile (That is how I downloaded the sourceforge program that I have)

milen

You can only download directly to your cell phone. This avoids the extra step of transferring the game from the PC to the phone and the possibility of getting the wrong version. To play on FIBS your phone needs to be internet enabled already. So all you need to do to get Backgammon is to point your phone's WAP browser to http://www.odesys.com/wap and to follow the links.

adamosad

I try to download it and the page said "not supported by phone". My phone is a K700i

amarganth

I have also a SonyEricsson K700I and the installation worked fine.

During install, I must enter my fibs account and password. Before installing the program!  :huh:  :no:

I'm not happy because of that. I have to change my password now as soon as possible, because I do not now, what *the server* does with that knowledge.

I also wasn't very happy, to read EULAs on that bonsai-screen.  :tears:

But, after downloading: it looks very nice.  :yes:

More info here, if I played a match. Offline, for sure.
To be is to do
          Sokrates
To do is to be
          Sartre
Do be do be do
          Sinatra

milen

amarganth, thanks for your feedback!
Let me try to address some of your concerns. During download the password is needed so that our server can verify your account and setup the game options. This way the game is ready to connect right after you download. We do not store or use the account information you provide for any other purpose.
It is also worth to point out that the game does not connect to FIBS directly, but rather via our server and the reason for that is to minimize network traffic. Cell phone users who do not have "all you can eat" internet plans will appreciate that. As a result, every time you play online your password passes through our server. Again, your password is not stored on the server but merely passed along.
Nevertheless your concern is very valid and probably shared by many FIBS users. We will definitely consider other possible options. Would have a statement on the download page explaining the use of the account information put your concerns to rest? Thanks!

adamosad

At last I download it  :D I forgot that I changed my password.  (The PC remember it automatically) So with an invalid fibs password the program does not let you download it.

I agree with amarganth that this is a disadvantage. I saw that you can change the "options" profile later. (You can change fibs username and password). So I can not understand why the program needs this info before the installation!!!  :no:

About the program: it looks very nice and I love the animation :yes:  

milen

FIBS username and password are no longer required at download. As adamosad pointed out they can be changed later in the "Options" dialog.

adamosad