News:

(**folks need to register to be able to see Fibsboard Forum Match diagrams and vote.** )

Main Menu

The Bristol Open 2008

Started by stiefnu, August 03, 2008, 10:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stiefnu

Announcing the Bristol Open 2008 International Backgammon Tournament!
Main event to take place on Saturday 30th and Sunday 31st August, with a warm-up event on Friday 29th.
Championship and Intermediate Flights, plus numerous side events and Poker.
See: http://www.wps.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/bristol_open_2008.htm

A strong field will include the following:
John Clark             First (and so far only) British Backgammon Grandmaster
Julien Fetterlein     Currently ranked number one at BIBA (British Isles Backgammon Association)
Ann Pocknell         Current British Open Champion
See: http://www.wps.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/bristol_open_2008_attendees.htm

stiefnu

Congratulations to Simonetta (wife of co-organiser Roland) Herrera on beating Julian Fetterlein in a double match point thriller to take the top honour, including a not insubstantial five thousand bucks.  For those interested, the full results will soon be posted on the web-site.

Along with a hefty British contingent, there were plenty of internationals present, with representatives from Austria, Canada, Egypt, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy, Japan and Norway, as well as half a dozen strong Danish players.

Fibs players were thin on the ground but certainly featured in the later rounds of the championship flight.  Relative newbie fibsters london and MissTree won through to the semi finals and quarter finals respectively.  Both of them, along with Simonetta and indeed yours truly, play in the Bristol Backgammon league http://www.bristol-backgammon.org/.  My performance was rather less spectacular, as I contrived to lose matches in the Intermediate main flight, the consolation and the last chance - every time to the eventual winners.  However, at least this allowed plenty of opportunities for stop pots and blitzes, ably co-ordinated by Mike Main, organiser of Backgammon in London http://www.backgammoninlondon.com  All in all, a great weekend of Backgammon, which (we are assured) will be repeated this time next year.

PersianLord

Seems that it's been a great tourney  :thumbsup:

But as I get hypercritical sometimes (hi inim  ;) ) I would like to point out to a mistake done by Mr. Roland Herra, here:

http://www.wps.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/bristol_open_2009_report.htm

In the last position (correct play on a 44 roll in the match between Cecilia Sparke and Dave Moon, Rolland says that :

"John Clark takes on a bet about the best move with 44 in a DMP"

But in the last line, after providing the Snowie rollout results and when commenting on why 8/4(2)-24/20-11/7* is the best move, he managed to comment:

"Cecilia played a great move, and it could be that the extra gammons it gains are important."

How the F*CK can gammons be important in a DMP game?

Regards
The leftist's feelings of inferiority run so deep that he cannot tolerate any classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the rejection by many leftists of the concept of mental illness and of the utility of IQ tests.  - T.K

stiefnu

Quote from: PersianLord on September 02, 2008, 08:24:35 AM
How the F*CK can gammons be important in a DMP game?

Ooops, clearly a mega blunder with extra fries by the Great Rolando!  Which I shall tease him about, the next time I see him.  ;)

albertjames

The event is organised in partnership by Business West and Bristol City Council.
Alder King, Arup, Burges Salmon, HBG Construction and Under the Sky have provided essential sponsorship, for which we are most grateful.Entry to all buildings is completely free, all buildings will be open Saturday 10am-4pm unless otherwise stated. In addition, all the city museums will be open until 5pm.
---------------
albertjames
Lifetime ads

stiefnu

Quote from: albertjames on September 19, 2008, 04:41:33 PM
The event is organised in partnership by Business West and Bristol City Council.
Alder King, Arup, Burges Salmon, HBG Construction and Under the Sky have provided essential sponsorship, for which we are most grateful.Entry to all buildings is completely free, all buildings will be open Saturday 10am-4pm unless otherwise stated. In addition, all the city museums will be open until 5pm.
---------------
albertjames
Lifetime ads

Some strange confusion here.  This looks like it refers to Open Doors Day, an annual event in which numerous buildings of architectural or historical interest are open to the public.  Interesting though this may be, it has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Backgammon!
:laugh:

smithsan

It is a virtual employment agency that brings together casual workers (sellers of time) and employers (buyers of time) through a web-based system. It offers a radical new employment model to those who have limited or irregular work availability.
----------
smithsan
single page ads

dorbel

A mistake from Roland, who bless him is no great BG technician, a typically ill-mannered response from PersianLord. I made a mistake in the first article I ever wrote 15 years ago and I still treasure the polite way in which Neil Kazaross pointed out my error. Manners are the mark of a gentleman, although not apparently those of a self-styled Lord.

PersianLord

Quote from: dorbel on September 21, 2008, 04:45:24 PM
A mistake from Roland, who bless him is no great BG technician, a typically ill-mannered response from PersianLord. I made a mistake in the first article I ever wrote 15 years ago and I still treasure the polite way in which Neil Kazaross pointed out my error. Manners are the mark of a gentleman, although not apparently those of a self-styled Lord.

Well, I've been recently reluctant to keep the high level of my BG-related activities (Playing, training, studying, etc). Now, the only FIBS thing I'm committed to keep it alive is MGC, even though I might return to the old, good days.

But you know, Doorbell, that I've been reluctant to response to the BS and garbage you're used to spread whenever you get an opportunity to do so, be it in FIBS shouts, or be it here at fibsboard. I consider you as a collapsing oldman of hatred and self-ego and NEVER had a slighest bit of respect for you. May be BG is the only thing in your life that you can take pride in and that's the cause for your arrogance whenever another fibster expresses his opinion and analyzis on a BG-related issue. BTW, I'm not goining to start a flame war with you, even though you obviously love it. Thus, go ahead with your funny, childish and abusive posts and be happy with that.

The leftist's feelings of inferiority run so deep that he cannot tolerate any classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the rejection by many leftists of the concept of mental illness and of the utility of IQ tests.  - T.K

boomslang

Quote from: PersianLord on September 21, 2008, 11:16:00 PMI consider you as a collapsing oldman of hatred and self-ego [...]

You must be confusing dorbel with another fibster.

socksey

Please, gentlemen, cease and desist this side topic.   :dry: 

ty..........socksey

"This time, like all times, is a good time if we but know what to do with it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

lewscannon

Quote from: boomslang on September 21, 2008, 11:30:16 PM
You must be confusing dorbel with another fibster.

Yeah, I didn't think dorbel was that old.