News:

please ensure your email address is "up to date" in your fibsboard profile or personal messages won't get through -- thx
ps  you can set your email as non public

Main Menu

Playing Bots on FIBS

Started by Tom, November 20, 2009, 08:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I have been running the 10 GammonBots for a while now and wonder how long people have to wait for matches.

Do we need more playing bots?
Some Stronger Bots?
Some Weaker bots?

I am sure my server could handle a few more, but there is at least one other person with a machine and is interested in hosting.

Tom

adrian

My oppinion is that the bots should not wait for resuming the saved games. I had enough about  I am waiting for a player to resume. Invite me again in X seconds if I am not playing. The attempt to resume should come from the bot dropper. If he doesn't , he cannot play with that bot again.
Weaker bots are welcome imo. Make 4 of them available only for lower rated players, below 1500.
Helping people is tricky. Give help to anyone and he will remember it only when he is in need again.

socksey

I'm with adrian on this one.   ;)  The bots always seem to be busy or waiting.   :unhappy:  I'd play them more often if they were not so highly rated and if I didn't have to wait for them.  Why not have some in the 1800 range, 1700 range, and 1600 range while you're at it?   :mellow:

socksey

Every dark cloud has a silver lining, but lightning kills hundreds of people each year who try to find it. - Lithograph from Despair.com

Tom

I like it.

Maybe some about 1600 bots that allow players below 1800 to play

thanks

PersianLord

I would appreciate increasing the number of the bots & removing the 'waiting' feature of them.

But as of weak bots for weak players, I think this will develop bad habits for them and might well stall their improvement. If you're a weak player, the last thing you need is to play & win a weaker player than yourself and get satisfied with it.

Regards
The leftist's feelings of inferiority run so deep that he cannot tolerate any classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the rejection by many leftists of the concept of mental illness and of the utility of IQ tests.  - T.K

dorbel

Some people may not realise that you can download bots to play at home. Gnu is a free download as is Monte Carlo. You can download jellyfish free as a play-only version. BgBlitz isn't free, but is very useful at $46. Is the attraction playing for rating points? As every bot is dropped several times a day they are perpetually under-rated, thus offering poor value in the struggle for points. More bots will just be more opportunities for droppers of course. Not that I am objecting to more or weaker bots, but playing humans is IMO always more fun!

ah_clem

My take is that if I want to play a bot I'll play gnubg.  No offense intended, it just that the bots on FIBS don't interest me.

BTW, you have your work cut out for you to build a lower rated bot.  My understanding is that it's pretty hard to model the common mistakes mediocre humans make; the low rated bot will probably just make obvious (to a human) blunders.  That said, I'd be interested in your approach and might play the dumbed down bots a few times out of curiousity.

adrian

Quote from: dorbel on November 24, 2009, 08:12:56 AM
Playing humans is IMO always more fun!
:devil:
Right ! Priceless when I win because of my skill and they say at the end of the match something like "I never saw such dice on fibs , ridiculous"
Helping people is tricky. Give help to anyone and he will remember it only when he is in need again.

Tom

Quote from: adrian on November 20, 2009, 10:04:51 PM
My opinion is that the bots should not wait for resuming the saved games. I had enough about  I am waiting for a player to resume. Invite me again in X seconds if I am not playing. The attempt to resume should come from the bot dropper. If he doesn't , he cannot play with that bot again.
Weaker bots are welcome imo. Make 4 of them available only for lower rated players, below 1500.

I agree I will reduce that time to 10 seconds.

Tom

Quote from: dorbel on November 24, 2009, 08:12:56 AM
Some people may not realise that you can download bots to play at home. Gnu is a free download as is Monte Carlo. You can download jellyfish free as a play-only version. BgBlitz isn't free, but is very useful at $46. Is the attraction playing for rating points? As every bot is dropped several times a day they are perpetually under-rated, thus offering poor value in the struggle for points. More bots will just be more opportunities for droppers of course. Not that I am objecting to more or weaker bots, but playing humans is IMO always more fun!

Maybe I will add a plug for GNUBG in the welcome messages, mentioning you can play and not lose rating points...

I believe the bots are immune from dropped match penalties, FIBS knows they are bots.

tom