News:

bookmark Fibsboard to the front page for all the News http://www.fibsboard.com

Main Menu

lots of waving

Started by alef, December 20, 2003, 08:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alef

It seems to me that 'waving' was a lovely feature on FIBS when there weren't many players, and it's still great for people who are shouting and having group conversations and then leave. However, there now seems to be a lot of waving from many players all the time. If it's become a built in feature in one of the clients so that every time you leave you wave then I'd like to request it be removed.

Maybe I'm being unfair and a few too many waves is a small price for what's quite a friendly gesture. What do others think? Below is the built in FIBS manual reference.

Regards,
Alef

] help wave
NAME
 wave - wave goodbye before leaving

SYNOPSIS
 wave

DESCRIPTION
 All players who want to receive shouts are informed about the fact
 that you wave goodbye because you want to leave. If used twice it can
 also be used to log out.

SEE ALSO
 bye

tucsonAZ

QuoteIt seems to me that 'waving' was a lovely feature on FIBS when there weren't many players, and it's still great for people who are shouting and having group conversations and then leave. However, there now seems to be a lot of waving from many players all the time. If it's become a built in feature in one of the clients so that every time you leave you wave then I'd like to request it be removed.

Maybe I'm being unfair and a few too many waves is a small price for what's quite a friendly gesture. What do others think? Below is the built in FIBS manual reference.

Regards,
Alef

> help wave
NAME
 wave - wave goodbye before leaving

SYNOPSIS
 wave

DESCRIPTION
 All players who want to receive shouts are informed about the fact
 that you wave goodbye because you want to leave. If used twice it can
 also be used to log out.

SEE ALSO
 bye
Hi Alef,

3dfibs started using the wav goodbye command to log off because the regular way (bye) was for some reason generating a winsock error message. All this started at the same time that the partial player list at logon became an issue. The only way to log off and avoid this error message was to just exit the program altogether but
this bypassed any code I had to save things when disconnecting. Now..if all these "wavs goodbye" were appearing with shouts, I would certainly have tried find anouther way but with all the clients I have just tested (3dfibs winfibs, javafibs applet, bbgt)  "username wavs goodbye" appears as server output along with
"username drops connection"  "username logs in/out" "username times out" etc.. and not in shouts or kibitzes.  I do agree that forcing everyone to wav goodbye is not exactly an elegant solution to my error message and I will try to find a better way.

PS. 3dfibs users.. if you want to leave without waving use the file->exit command. Watched games or dropped games will not be saved.

maareyes

alef

Hi maareyes,

Perhaps a workaround solution is to have an option so the client's shouts window only shows the waves of your buddies? MacFIBS displays just one wave instead of two each time a person waves and logs out. And I believe JavaFIBS specifically tells you when a buddy leaves, but it also displays all the waves.

This is quite a minor detail, but since the better clients are full of nice details I figue I might as well make requests :-)

Alef

tucsonAZ

QuotePerhaps a workaround solution is to have an option so the client's shouts window only shows the waves of your buddies?
Yes, this would be the most effective solution since anything I do on 3dfibs end will only affect those users who download after the fix and you will still see wav output for all the previous users. I am really sorry that these waves are polluting the shouts output. If I had known that this was happening I would never have implemented it but it seems that only Javafibs2000 and macfibs are displaying goodbye wavs in shout window. All the other clients the goodbye waves are only showing with other server ouput mingled in with so and so logged out logged in timed out etc.. which no one reads anyway. So it seems that macfibs and javafibs have redirected these goodbye waves to the shouts window.  If this becomes an option that can be turned off it will be a fast fix for this problem. I will still try to fix this on 3dfibs end so that the problem is not compounded for the affected clients.

maareyes (tucsonAZ)

tucsonAZ

I have uploaded an update 2.2.302 that does not wav goodbye on disconnect.
I hope that Javafibs or MacFibs can make goodbye waves in shout an option for a more effective solution to the problem.  

Any request by Alef I give VIP priority :-)

maareyes

webrunner

Great work Maareyes  :yes:  :yes:  :yes:

But where is it?

:unsure:  
"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

tucsonAZ

QuoteGreat work Maareyes  :yes:  :yes:  :yes:

But where is it?

:unsure:
Hi Eric,

I re-edit the post I had for version 2.2.301 and changed the version number and uploaded it to the same link. I tried to upload to the update section in the forum but it seems the upload links are missing or I cant find them.  Let me know if
there is a better way. I am still abit fuzzy with the new site.

maareyes (tucsonAz on fibs)

lewscannon

What you people don't understand is when the Fibster from New York waves, only the middle finger is actually extended. This way we can recognize each other

webrunner

Like this?   :fo:
"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

jinnate

yep. no foul language, but foul icons? oh, the horror! :)

i don't suppose fibs (patti or marvin) could change the code so waves aren't shouts?

it is a little annoying. mostly because it seems unnecessary. maybe that's because i'm not telnetting.  

alef

Quotei don't suppose fibs (patti or marvin) could change the code so waves aren't shouts?

It can be changed by the interfaces. For example, MacFibs only lists one wave even though people give two to log out. I believe 3dFibs has automatic waving. My recommendation to interfaces authors is to only list waves that are given by buddies.

Like many features on FIBS it made sense when it was a small community of backgammon players with only a handful on at a time.