News:

(**folks need to register to be able to see Fibsboard Forum Match diagrams and vote.** )

Main Menu

Game 4 Move 14..5-3

Started by roadkillbooks, February 18, 2010, 11:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadkillbooks

Ok forum 53 from the bar....

any other options let me know

dorbel

Spoiler
Tough play! It helps to go into a position with a good basic plan. Once I have a 20pt anchor and get into a struggle for position like this, I like to follow Kent Goulding's advice. This is basically, ignore the chances of being hit and put your checkers where you want them. That will work quite well here. Our opponent can't hit and make the points that he needs to improve, he can't blitz and he can't threaten to redouble after a good sequence. So where do we want them?
I think the point that we most want is the 7pt, so I would like to leave that slotted. We need a direct cover number for that, so we will leave the checker on the 9pt too. After that it's a tough choice between bar/22, 15/10 and bar/20, 24/21. I think that I will go for the latter for several reasons. I do like to have at least one point in each quadrant, so leaving the 15pt slotted is logical, with a spare on the 20pt waiting to jump out and do something useful. That means 24/21 for the 3 and that's useful too, as I think making the 21pt would be good in itself. If we can own 20 and 21, it's going to be very tough for Blitz to develop those stacks of his.
Bar/20, 24/21 for me.
[close]

roadkillbooks

Spoiler
I agree that we want to leave pieces where we want them. That seems to conflict with leaving a blot in each quadrant.  I like the 7/4 move because I think that we want that point more than the bar point.  THere are going to be more hits in this game if we want to win and closing our board works better than building a prime. This play also leaves pieces in each quadrant.  Since that did not receive any other votes, I have gone for the 15/10.  That gives us several cover numbers and real chances to make the 4 point naturally.
[close]

socksey

I didn't get to vote.  Are we leaving these moves on for 24 hours like we talked about or have we cut them down to less than 12 hours?   :unhappy:

socksey

If you spend too much time worrying about how other people perceive you, you'll never break the rules. - John Sculley, former chief executive of Apple Corp.

roadkillbooks

the moves were up for 24 hours.  What ill do though is leave 24 hours as the thresehold but ill have the poll run longer so if I dont get to advanced it, people can still vote.  The poll was up for 24 though.

thanks,

roadkillbooks

socksey

Well, since I'm a moderator on Fibsboard, I check in at the very least twice a day, usually many more.  Maybe there was a glitch with my "Show unread posts since last visit" is the only other thing I can figure out.   :)  All I know is I didn't get to vote before the other votes were visible.  Does this happen before we vote, ever?

Stog, can you shed some light on this problem? :huh:

socksey

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

ah_clem

Quote from: roadkillbooks on February 20, 2010, 05:16:48 PM
the moves were up for 24 hours.  What ill do though is leave 24 hours as the thresehold but ill have the poll run longer so if I dont get to advanced it, people can still vote.  The poll was up for 24 though.

I recall having a similar discussion with Stog when I first started moderating - we decided that it made the most sense to leave the "run this poll for X days" box blank, and then close the voting manually when it's time.  That way the voting stays open until the moderator is ready to make the next move.