News:

hover/mouseover topics on the forum/board index, now gives you the preview of the first post within a topic

Main Menu

after quitting, javafibs will not restore prefs.

Started by azoth, October 26, 2006, 10:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azoth

Hello--

First, thanks for this program. I will be pleased to pay for it.

I began using it yesterday, and it works fine except for one problem. When I quit and restart the program all my prefs have been lost. In other words, I see the default board, etc. I am running the program on an intel imac, OS 10.4.7

I hope for help with this.

Gracias,

Roberto

diane

Never give up on the things that make you smile

Tomawaky

I using it since long and few days ago, I lost everything !!!
All files was empty !
have not understood. :cry:
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

diane

That sounds much more serious - have you made any changes to your computer - deleted any files or system clean ups - anthing which may have deleted or corrupted files?

Tomawaky

Really don't know  :blink:
I have done nothing particular and when I look at my folder, I just can see that files (friends, buttons, vilains, preferences) size are equal to zero but there is nothing in notepad when I open them   :huh:

Only matches and ratings files are still valid  :boeh:
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

spielberg

Tomawaky - the files you're looking for have been overwritten with null entries (thats why the file size is zero and notepad finds nothing to open). Regardless of what caused the overwrite there is only one way to get your info back - hopefully you backup occasionally and may find the files there (search for the same filenames within your backup files). If you have no backup files you made your last chance is a backup your computer did for you. Search all drives for the relevant filenames.

azoth - hopefully diane's pointer fixed your problem but I'll post it in plain text in case it did not.
NB this is a known problem on Macs: You need to use the Exit option in the JavaFIBS menu and not the quit option from the Mac menu for the preferences to be saved properly. This is specific for MacOSX and a very common question.

Lastly all praise to Cthulu - JavaFibs STILL the best client (though DelFibs is catching up!)

Tomawaky

oups sorry What I wanted to say is that file size are not equal to zero. that's why it's very strange   :wacko:
And I do not make backup of my Javafibs directory !  :blush: ... no matter

diane

Try opening the files with notepad or something then - and see what the contents are.  If they are ok - the fix may be easier.

cthulhu

Quote from: Tomawaky on October 28, 2006, 05:50:04 PM
oups sorry What I wanted to say is that file size are not equal to zero. that's why it's very strange   :wacko:
And I do not make backup of my Javafibs directory !  :blush: ... no matter

Could you send the files to me so I can have a look at them? Use the regular mail address @ fibs. I have a mail running again.