News:

Play our  New Fibsboard Position of the Week --> perhaps give your comments/reasons thx..here's the link  http://www.fibsboard.com/position-of-the-week/

Main Menu

help!!!!!!

Started by googlino, January 08, 2009, 02:24:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

googlino

Hello!!!!!!
My friends I am new player backgammon i know play this game but i not no stratyegy!!!!!!!!
How i Can start????

dorbel

Almost everybody starts with a beginner book. I recommend "Starting Out In Backgammon" by Paul Lamford, clear, easy to follow and full of useful tips. This is also modern, quite important as most books written in the last century are misleading.
Second, go on to fibs, select one of the bots at the top of the player list and watch them play. Make a note of how they play each opening roll for starters, that will help.
Play on fibs, confining yourself to one point matches at first. Read a little about the doubling cube before trying longer matches.
Lastly, keep thinking and keep learning. I learn something new every time I play, which is what makes the game so great! Welcome to fibs and bg.

sixty_something

welcome to the wonderful and wacky world of backgammon at FIBS, googlino .. on the surface backgammon looks like a very simple game - many who have never played it think it is trivial in comparison to chess and Go .. it is most definitely not, IMHO .. backgammon requires a very subtle blend of strategy and chutzpah, or nerve .. moves that often seem reckless are many times the best, especially in the openings

once again, dorbel has offered excellent advice .. i have seldom erred by listening to his advice and indeed just sought it recently

there are some excellent sources to begin using here at FIBSboard as well .. for example, PersianLord and others, myself included, have contributed an excellent series of problems with solutions provided by GNUbg analysis .. additionally, dorbel and others have added commentary which makes for a very interesting series .. simply click on the Forum tab above and enter the
Backgammon problems
forum (or just click on this hyperlink)

another forum that has fallen out of use since we started the problem series but has valuable topics is Improving your backgammon skills .. similarly, the Using backgammon software forum offers many tips on using popular backgammon analysis tools such as GNUbg and Snowie

with a good book, continued mindful play, and these resources you will be on your way to improving your tactics and strategy in no time .. but be forewarned, the lessons seem to never end B)
A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation. -- Unknown
e-mail me

PersianLord

Quote from: googlino on January 08, 2009, 02:24:48 AM
Hello!!!!!!
My friends I am new player backgammon i know play this game but i not no stratyegy!!!!!!!!
How i Can start????

Welcome to this addictive backgammon server!

I find dorbel's and sixty's posts quite informative and useful, but I would like to add my two cents:

1- Play and train with bots. If you're on a tight budget, you can download a very strong bot : GNUBG and if not, go buy BGBlitz and/or Snowie. For GNUBG, set the bot to "Tutor Mode" and it will give you hints and comments on your moves so that you can improve your skill level. Also always try to analyze the matches you have played on FIBS using the botso you can detect in what kinds of  positions you err more frequently. You may even create a special document and log the positions in it for later reviews and evaluations.

2- Try to abstain from involving in "shouts". Believe me, MOST of serious fibsters rarely shout. Toggling "silent" might prove helpful for the beginners, especially when FIBS' political agitators are spamming and ranting.

Regards

The leftist's feelings of inferiority run so deep that he cannot tolerate any classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the rejection by many leftists of the concept of mental illness and of the utility of IQ tests.  - T.K

spielberg

The GnuBG software mentioned is available here: GnuBg

It's now and forever completely free. Learning to use it is an effort but there's an extremely good guide at:  GnuBG 101