News:

"Fibsboard allows for more considered reading and response, whereas Fibs shout is a more intuitive interaction"

Main Menu

FIBS passwords

Started by diane, February 08, 2011, 08:36:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diane

A recent tweet from Patti piqued my interest...given that the subject of lost Fibs passwords has come up many times, with the constant message 'there is no solution but to try to remember it, try to extract it from your client..or as a last resort.. get a new nick...'

Threads such as this one...http://www.fibsboard.com/general-chit-chat/lost-password-1030/

The tweet stated..

QuoteFIBS tip of the day: Enter your email address with the 'address' command. If you lose your password and haven't done that, I can't help you.

This sort of implied to me..that if the email address were entered...there could be help available...

I asked and found that IF...and only if...you have entered a valid email address on your fibs profile...and you contact Patti on that email address, she can give you a temporary password....

This is worth noting now - it is worth telling to newbies liable to forget their passwords...it is worth shouting from the rooftops!!

[note:she also stated it wasnt straightforward...so I wouldnt make a habit of it  ;)]
Never give up on the things that make you smile

jeff

Stupid newbie questions: Who, besides Patti, can see the email address I enter in FIBS profile? Am I going to get spammed?
My strategy: Always double right before your best roll.

KissMyAss

Everyone can.   I can't answer questions on what other people will do.

My pet peeve is people who put their main email address in their profile.  Think about how many people can find you, and connect to others in your family.

I recommend using a free email service, (like gmail, hotmail, yahoo, hidemyass.com etc) and set up an email account only for fibs.    DO NOT use the same email account u use for facebook or other social media sites.   
It should be an easy five minute process to set up something like jefffibs@gmail.com for example.  That way, you and your family cannot be located online, and even if you do get spammed it won't matter.  Just don't open anything unless sent by patti or other trusted fibs friends.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."  -  Bilbo Baggins (at his 111th Birthday party)

diane

It is my expectation that this is now superceeded by Patti asking newbies to validate their new FIBs accounts.

She harvests the email address you supply to get validated - and can use that if you have any account related problems.

I would def steer away from using an email address you care about in a publically visible field, as KMA has told you...but..I am not sure it is necessary any more - check through the emails sent to you for information on this matter.
Never give up on the things that make you smile

socksey

I have used the same email addy that is my main email addy for I don't know how many years......over 15 I'm guessing, and have never had a spamming problem or unwanted emails to that account, however, prolly not a bad idea to use a special addy if you want.

socksey

Never take anything for granted. - Benjamin Disraeli