News:

All new Fibsboard.com for 2011 --" your unofficial Forum for all fings FIBS."
New Membergroups, new boards including topical discussions, Campaigns, Culture and Gossip. Photo Galleries, Forum Backgammon vs Top Guest, and much much more.........faster and improved, with sas :)

Main Menu

Game 2, move 4: gaspar 3-2

Started by diane, March 15, 2011, 02:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diane

Position ID: Zh5hgDGGZ/ADIA
Match ID: MAGtABAAAAAA

This might be obvious..but I still like his stories...and he promised a speedy response... ;)

Never give up on the things that make you smile

gaspar

hello everyone.....i guess it's time to introduce myself...i live in montreal , canada  where men are men and sheep run scared.....Montreal is a great place to visit ...in summer.....go visit diane in january or feb. ... we have a great run in summer with jazz festival and comedy festival running end of june .....close down streets everyone parties ....

so in winter time...i spend my time playing more bg than i care to admit....i've been playing "seriously" for about 7 or 8 years... i believe , like most players , that i am pretty good, but these damn bots have proved all of us wrong....

essentially i am glad for bots for ripping open my chest and pulling out my bg heart like some aztec sacrifice or else i would be losing money left and right playing out of my league.

i usually play a couple of live tourneys per year....NY and Pittsburgh....two quality tourneys ...i've cashed a couple of times .....i guess when you look at big picture i've been lucky enough to break even on my entry fees.

the highlight of my tourney career has not been my wins or cashing out but in a doubles match i played against the great Falafel.

doubles is a fun event where you and your partner consult on every move....i remember the night before playing till around midnight and hitting the sack for our early match against falafel and his partner the next morning.  Garry, my partner, and I were discussing the match and I proposed that I thought we had a good a chance as any to beat the guy.   Falafel is arguably , one of the best in the world, so, i suggested, "how can getting a partner make him any better."  As a matter of a fact it'll prob. make him worse LOL....In addition , Falafel , from what I could see, is a night owl.  He was running around when i left the BG room making bets on football, and talking to whoever would listen.  He is a very easy going guy, very approachable and a good sense of humour.   

however, the next morning he looked like someone had flipped him out of bed with a big spatula...he never rolled the dice but just sat to the side with his head in his hand with big red circles under his eyes.

when he had finally woken up a bit we were ahead 4-0 and cubed ...falafel's partner wanted to drop , but falafel took a desperate cube to try and turn the game around and got gammoned...7-0 for good guys.   

Falafel strong armed his partner to take the cube calling him an idiot if he dropped a cube because down 5-0 they would have not chance anyway.  well at bg tourneys there are always guys buzzing around with laptops ready to enter your position into snowie or XG and it was an EASY drop....something like 45% of 88% our wins were gammons...better to wait for better days i guess.  See even the greats make mistakes....

i would have like to report our winning the tourney but we lost to a couple of guys from our montreal club the next match....they were lucky LOL.....

live bg is fun , and if you enter the adavance or intermediate events to start....even if you think u r good i would stay intermediate until you win it a couple of times....the open class oftentimes features guys who have written books and devote more of their life to bg than you do....however live match play has more of a psychological element than on line play and is more social.

as far as our match is concerned i will play 13-8,  but i like the herd's position there,,,,,hopefully i will roll small and build some prime in front of you back game.  i will warn you tho...i love playing against back games...