News:

Thx to our VIP donor/subscribers in 2012 cheers!
..thx Botchee, sixty, zorba, caleb, ettu, trrroglodyte, diane, aviator, r_monk ,captainmubbers,Tom roygbiv*, anonymous and yyy

Main Menu

Game 2, move 2: ah_clem 1-1

Started by diane, October 23, 2011, 01:47:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diane

Never give up on the things that make you smile

ah_clem

A good roll (nice to have the real Diane back), but one that's easy to misplay.

I can make the 23 point or I can make the 5 point, but not both (the 7 point is out).  A deuce point game is not really much better than an ace point game and there's no good way to play the fourth ace, so that argues for making the five point.

So, bar/24 6/5(2) and then where do I play the fourth ace?  I could play "safe" by bringing a third checker to the 5, but this strips the six point and leaves me playing an ace point game. Plus, I hate playing ace point games, where you just wait patiently to lose.  Or I could play "bold" and split my runners.   I'm behind in the race and the match, so Magriel's criteria say bold, but the Herd has a better board and that says safe.  I look at the ten checkers in the zone and do a gut check on the bold play - and though ten checkers are formidable, the lack of spares and the remoteness of the  14 point checkers says I'm safe for a roll or so.

Bold it is.  bar/23 6/5(2)