News:

Thx to our VIP donor/subscribers in 2012 cheers!
..thx Botchee, sixty, zorba, caleb, ettu, trrroglodyte, diane, aviator, r_monk ,captainmubbers,Tom roygbiv*, anonymous and yyy

Main Menu

Vouchers

Started by domhurley, December 06, 2006, 10:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

domhurley

Might be a bit thick but how do you give vouchers?

Cheers

Dom

Hardy_whv

You mean providing a contrubution for the "Karma" of a player? Just klick on "applaud", which is situated directly below the Nick in the Forum to vouch for a member, or "smite" to unvouch.

Hardy  B)
Visit "Hardy's Backgammon Pages"

domhurley

I am a bit thick I can't see them !!!

socksey

If you mean Fibsboard, you must have a minimum number of posts in order to be qualified to smite or applaud.  I think the number is 25 or 29 post.  When you reach the required number, you will see the links  just under the karma number, so get to posting!  ;)

If you mean Repbot vouches, the command is, "tell repbot vouch nick".

socksey

Death plucks at my ear and says, "Live!  I am coming!".  - unknown

webrunner

Hey.. that would be a cool idea! Why not connect the karma to the vouches of Repbot, or show the reputation of a player here on the forum :)
"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

socksey

Wonderful idea!   ;)  At least with Repbot, you know who your friends and enemies are!   :cool:  Also, with Repbot multiple vouches/complaints cannot be duplicated.

Down with karma, up with Repbot! 

socksey

"We are unable to announce the weather. We depend on weather reports from the airport, which is closed, due to weather. Whether we will be able to give you a weather report tomorrow will depend on the weather." - Arab News report

don

Not completely true, socks, but almost!
QuoteAlso, with Repbot multiple vouches/complaints cannot be duplicated.

Of my 24 RepBots complaints, 17 come from 7 users (including 2 from me).  The max is 4 from 1 user.  There may be other duplicate users in there that I don't know about.
QuoteRepBot says: don's complainers: alink, Anthony_J, aristoF, Biggles, Biggles_two, CantBuyAThrill, captainhomo, CokeBear, diane, don, DTbot*, fesal, gammon_gangsta, Honeygirl, Honeygirl_ll, Mort, Mortsport, NIHILIST, NIHolympic, nutcracker, Shuggie_II, thefog, vegas_vic, vegasvic

I agree with you that RepBot is better than the karma system here.

--
don
So many string dimensions, so little space time...

socksey

Yes, true don, but with Fibs, you can find who are the same usually by checking ISP's and sometimes we know multiple nicks there.  Still, each nick can only vouch or complain once unless removed and redone.  Good point, tho.   ;)

socksey

"I can't think of a comparable level of cultural excitement about something since Neil Armstrong landed on the moon in the 1960s." - Gil Schwartz, CBS publicist, on the "Survivor" finale.

adamosad

Quote from: webrunner on December 07, 2006, 08:35:14 AM
Hey.. that would be a cool idea! Why not connect the karma to the vouches of Repbot, or show the reputation of a player here on the forum :)

I do not think that this idea is a good one. A negative karma is given to a user who publishes a relatively low quality post. Or it is given by a user who mainly disagrees with the main idea of the publisher. Additionally this voting is given by a selective sample (A member with 25 or 29 posts). As for Repbot, a negative reputation is given to a user who dropped a game in fibs. Unfortunately in both fibsboard and fibs a lot of users give votes according to personal feelings too.

I do not understand why a computer guy would go on to program the repbot to contain karma points or a weighting of them. The karma points are given from fibsboard users who are lower (in real numbers) than fibs users. In addition they are given from a subsample of fibsboard users. Patti has problems with repbot because people vote with personal feelingsââ,¬Â¦ What is going to happen if karma points will be added to the bot? So the only realistic idea is adding the reputation points to fibsboard profiles. I think that this has some disadvantages too.

I suggest an additional system that a user can give points according to his feelings only. This can be created here in fibsboard and all people could use it independently of the number of their post. This kind of ââ,¬Å"lovingââ,¬Â reputation could take a weighting of the repbot if you want.

The most important thing is that people can vote with their feeling without barriers, they have a motive to give karma points only according to the quality of the posts and finally this idea save you from the trouble to find a way to add not only the reputation (of repbot) but the friends and enemies who gives the complaints or vouches too.

Mookie

Quote from: socksey on December 07, 2006, 05:41:16 AM

If you mean Repbot vouches, the command is, "tell repbot vouch nick".

socksey

\

Socksey,

Didn't you mean "tell repbot vouch mookie" ?

socksey

Oh, of course!  How silly of me!   :laugh:  Oh, and don't forget to vouch socksey while you're at it!   :laugh:

socksey

"Don't fear failure so much that you refuse to try new things. The saddest summary of a life contains three descriptions could have, might have, and should have." - Louis E. Boone

socksey

QuoteThe most important thing is that people can vote with their feeling without barriers, they have a motive to give karma points only according to the quality of the posts and finally this idea save you from the trouble to find a way to add not only the reputation (of repbot) but the friends and enemies who gives the complaints or vouches too.

The problem is that the karma/smite feature is being abused by one or some.  The quality of the posts here seem not to matter.  One may repeat an applause or a smite in 48 hours.  Since there is no identity to the person giving the vote, the karma may not reflect anything but mischievous persons.

socksey

"The most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well." - Pierre de Coubertin

don

Actually, socks, I hadn't posted for a while when I noticed this karma feature here.  It's obviously being used as more of a weapon on FIBSboard than multi IDs are via RepBot on FIBS!  There are people who actually have their egos bound up in anonymous slaughter.

I had a negative karma before I ever posted.  I hope to attain the most negative karma here as a point of ridicule of those who think massage of ego on the net is worth more than honesty.

--
don
So many string dimensions, so little space time...

webrunner

@adamosad, you are absolutely right.
Adding the reputation data to the profile would be usefull and nice though.
"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

adamosad

Socksey "the important thing" paragraph was referred to the advantages of a new system I suggested so people will not use karma as a weapon. They can give "loving" points independently of the quality of the posts. By the way, I forgot to mention another advantage. It can reduce the spam posts from users who want to reach the 25 posts to be able to give karma points.....

That is, Karma points can be (hopefully) used for the quality of the posts only and "loving points" for the personal feelings only. I understand that one may say that people may continue use both systems for personal feelings but I believe that the whole idea deserves a try...

Webrunner, adding the reputation data to the profile required more info like the people that gives complains and vouches. So you may have to add friends and enemies too in the profile. That is why I suggested a loving point system running the same time with karma. It can be easier for you to create it...