News:

bookmark Fibsboard to the front page for all the News http://www.fibsboard.com

Main Menu

Which macOS backgammon app offers the strongest AI engine?

Started by Uncle Ben, January 31, 2018, 05:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Ben

I've been doing ample Web surfing on the subject over the last few days, and didn't come up with good reviews on a single App Store backgammon app. On don't play on line, my interest is strictly to play againt a strong AI engine, using a software that offers tutoring and analytical data.

GNUBG and BGBlitz are apparently two apps that would fit my needs; but neither one is available on the App Store. So I can only surmise that these apps have an inherent issues that failed Apple's vetting.

The only app on the Mac App Store that looks interesting is True Backgammon HD, which uses Mr. Berger's BGBlitz engine. But the reviews are very few and mediocre at best; likewise for reviews outside the App Store.

I would like to hear comments from anyone who has used True Backgammon HD on a Mac, or suggestions as to the best App Store app to use on a Mac for off line playing only.

TIA!

stog

GNUBG is free and runs within xcode on Mac OS (not IOS)

Uncle Ben

Hi Stog. Yes, as indicated in my initial post, I am aware that GNUBG ad GBBLITZ both work well with macOS X; and both are getting excellent reviews.

However, neither one of them is on the App Store. Do you know why? One would think that with apps that strong and with such good reputation, the developer would want to make their software available on the App Store, thus giving prospective buyers a peace of mind, knowing that the app has been vetted by Apple/Microsoft (as the case may be.)

True Backgammon HD is on the App Store, and it uses the BGBLITZ engine; and while the reviews for iOS are pretty good, they're awful for macOS. Is anyone here using True Backgammon HD on a Mac? Thanks again Stog for your quick response - appreciated!

Bertold

Did you try it out on macOS?

Curious if it's really as bad as the reviews say.

FrankBerger

Quote from: Uncle Ben on February 01, 2018, 12:40:35 PM
Hi Stog. Yes, as indicated in my initial post, I am aware that GNUBG ad GBBLITZ both work well with macOS X; and both are getting excellent reviews.

However, neither one of them is on the App Store. Do you know why? One would think that with apps that strong and with such good reputation, the developer would want to make their software available on the App Store, thus giving prospective buyers a peace of mind, knowing that the app has been vetted by Apple/Microsoft (as the case may be.)
The answer for GnuBG is simple: Their license GPL isn't compatible with the Appstore (IIRC)

The answer for BGBlitz is not that simple:  If you use the toolchain from Apple it is easy to go to the app store. But BGBlitz doesn't use that toolchain(for good reasons) and then it starts to get difficult. I would have simply too much work, just to be present in the App Store. Will BGBlitz be visible there? Don't know, but at least I would to have deal with dozens of "what a crap, get's the dice it wants stuff".  BTW before Catalina you had to sign the software, so at least you know who provided the program. Since Catalina you have to notarise the app so Apple checked the app before, so you gain no security by using the AppStore. Again difficult if you don't use Apples tool chain (I'm currently working on that. Quite some work without a benefit for the functionality). Currently you need a workaround to install BGBlitz on Catalina and BigSur because the official solution from Apple doesn't work :(

At the end of the day I do BGBlitz for my personal enjoyment and it is far more fun adding missing functionality than investing time for an Appstore, website, advertising etc. (but don't misunderstand: if you ask for support you'll be astonished how good it is)