News:

want to modify your profile? -- top menu  here, then "modify profile" left menu- then "Forum Profile Information"

Main Menu

What would be the rating on FIBS of a top world player ?..

Started by odiv, January 05, 2013, 09:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

odiv

I start from the assumption that no human player would have a rating above the bots ( circa 2100 )...

...Any idea ?..

dorbel

If you mean a player in the world top ten, who has a PR less than 3 and who played regularly at his best on fibs, I would expect him or her to play in the 2000 to 2200 range. All ratings vary by this much, including the bots. Not a very likely scenario though. Players like that are a bit too busy to play in the Friday 3s.

Tom

Quote from: dorbel on January 05, 2013, 10:20:33 PM
Players like that are a bit too busy to play in the Friday 3s.
They also might want to play longer matches, since longer matches are less influenced by the dice (aka luck)

That also assumes they played everyone.

Isn't the rating a factor of the DIFFERENCE in ratings for wins/losses?

So if we took two equally rated new players and they only played each other wouldn't their rating stay at about 1500 give or take?
Assuming they win 50% of the time?

Tom

paulie

Quote from: Tom on January 06, 2013, 01:57:04 PM
They also might want to play longer matches, since longer matches are less influenced by the dice (aka luck)

That also assumes they played everyone.

Isn't the rating a factor of the DIFFERENCE in ratings for wins/losses?

So if we took two equally rated new players and they only played each other wouldn't their rating stay at about 1500 give or take?
Assuming they win 50% of the time?

Tom
Seems to me, that if 2 new players only played each other, the better player's rating would increase almost without limit.
I try to avoid experience; most experience is bad.   -Wilde

Tom

Quote from: paulie on July 15, 2014, 02:05:34 AM
Seems to me, that if 2 new players only played each other, the better player's rating would increase almost without limit.

Well try out your theory http://home.nordnet.fr/~fhochede/ratings.shtml

diane

Where I have observed really good players coming into FIBs to play, they are usually here for money events, or other significant tourneys, such as the series David Escofferey used to run. They tend to play other very good players in long matches, which doesnt bump up the rating very fast. They therefore seem to hang around in the 1800s. To get above that, as the bots do, and some individuals, you need to be hanging around FIBs 24/7 and playing all comers, less skilled ideally. Even then, it is a hard journey up, because of the rating formula, such that the less experienced lower rated newbie will take a big chunk when they get that flukey win.

FYI, there are humans rated above the bots, current and past - they are very disturbed individuals generally  ;) The amount of work it takes goes way beyond simply playing backgammon well - there are choice of opponent, choice of match length and sheer playing hours to factor in!
Never give up on the things that make you smile