News:

**Inspired by recurrent discussions in FIBS shouts on issues concerning science and consciousness, we have introduced an ISP Board on Fibsboard.com ...a space set aside for more considered esoteric meanderings on ideas science and philosophy --- "concept formation and elucidation" .....> the philosophy/physiology/ structure and function of a fibster or fibsboarder!
take a look at http://www.fibsboard.com/ideas-science-and-philosophy/

Main Menu

Backgammon setup

Started by ikeaboy, June 15, 2015, 07:58:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ikeaboy

Hi all,

I am new to FIBS, but not new to Backgammon. I have a basic question which I cannot see answered in this forum, but I may have missed something. Sorry if this has been covered a gah-zillion times already. I know that the set-up for ordinary backgammon can be arranged for either clockwise or counterclockwise play, but I have never heard a rule about whether a player can choose a homeboard on the opposite side of the board, ie player x bears off on what would traditionally be player y's homeboard. I am asking since many phone apps allow you to chose all four options as your homeboard. The other day, I thought I would try this with a friend and he said it was not allowed, which seems odd to me -- why should the choice of homeboard make a difference as long as the checkers are set up properly for play in that direction? Maybe it is illegal, but considering all the variations on Backgammon that exist, that seems a bit odd. Can anyone answer this? Best, Ikeaboy.

dorbel

In the Plakoto variation of tavli, your home board is on the opposite side to normal, but why I don't know.