News:

Free Competition -"Risk - no risk!"-has just ended. curanar, wintom & stog won copies of Bgblitz2Go. details  here http://www.fibsboard.com/free-competition-win-bgblitz2go-p85

Main Menu

FIBS Tournament Schedule

Started by sixty_something, May 26, 2010, 08:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diane

Remember, we are about to spring forward...not fall back  ;)

I am going to move Sunday sessions to 'keep it in the same place'..but leave Saturday Stubbies where it is to take it an hour forward, and see if that changes anything entry wise.
Never give up on the things that make you smile

Tom

I just went over the list of tourneys and found 11 automatic, which are the only ones I will address.

3 are run on Australian time and I will verify the DST settings with the TD.

The Monday Work Can Wait, I believe runs on USA time, right?

As does the F3 (1), all the 3/5's (4), Mini-Matches (1) and the Bloody Mary (1)

That totals 11 tourneys!

I will update all the USA tourneys on Nov 5th (Saturday), After the Mini's run

tom

diane

Quote from: Tom on September 28, 2011, 09:36:36 PM

Nov..or October?

Tom

Quote from: diane on September 28, 2011, 10:10:39 PM
Nov..or October?

I will update the Australian tourneys when ever I am told to by the TD!

Tom

Quote from: Tom on September 29, 2011, 02:38:25 AM
I will update the Australian tourneys when ever I am told to by the TD!

I just talked to KMA. The Wed Kiwi does not change (No DST for her)

Diane - when do the Sat & Sub stubbies change?

Do you Fall Back now or Spring Forward? It *is* spring time there, right?

tom

emilyb

Quote from: sixty_something on September 28, 2011, 04:52:03 PM
it's ALMOST that time of year again when schedules, personal clocks, and tourney start times get all screwed up thanks to Daylight Savings Time (DST) which will be ending the first Sunday in November in the USA

last spring we had quite a mess trying to get this schedule correct .. getting TourneyBot to start the tourneys at the correct time was another story .. almost every season since i have been maintaining this schedule has been a mess for a week or more around the time change .. thus, i am taking a little preemptive action today to at least get us thinking about it .. perhaps someone better than me can suggest how we can have a smooth DST transition for our regularly scheduled FIBS tourneys .. for example, here is just one little wrinkle

see what i mean? this stuff gives me a headache twice a year

for example, our new official TD for the Bloody Mary "Sunday Special" is now TourneyBot .. Sunday is always the first day of a DST time change .. thus, Tom will need to make a change in advance to ensure the Bloody Mary will start at the correct local time for all of us in the USA on that first Sunday in November .. the rest of you are on your own

here is what happened last spring .. perhaps this will help us better understand and prepare for the fall time change .. obviously, i have no clue, nor do i intend to do any more than provide this heads up for now .. maybe someone with a better way of explaining the USA and Euro time changes AND the FIBS clock can help us out 'cause it ain't me babe :blush:

That's why I started using a free online meeting scheduler so I can coordinate my games with people in different timezones

Tom

Quote from: Tom on September 28, 2011, 09:36:36 PM

Well I managed to remember to turn my clocks back last night and as I was going to sleep remembered about TourneyBot!!!

I think I got them all right.

Time will tell! (pun intended)

Tom

Thalassa

I have been playing on FIBs for a few years now and would like to participate in the tournaments.  Where do I register, and how/ where do I play.  Thanks in advance, Thalassa.

Tom

Quote from: Thalassa on January 09, 2012, 11:55:01 AM
I have been playing on FIBs for a few years now and would like to participate in the tournaments.  Where do I register, and how/ where do I play.  Thanks in advance, Thalassa.

Be online before the tourney starts (up to 30 mins usually) and watch for instructions from a TD.
Most of the time the player named TourneyBot will tell you have to register a couple are still run manually.

Tom

rebayona

I always wanted to know the complete schedule of tournaments, good to know that they're available here now. As a google calendar user I love their features, like having personal or subscribing to public calendars.

I just created a public calendar with all this tournaments, so we won't forget at what time they're up anymore. it is compatible with almost any calendar app, so it will work with Outlook, thunderbird and iCal, amongst others. It will work with cellphones too, like iphone, android phones and even symbian or blackberries.

To use it just follow this steps:

The procedure to add it to your favorite calendar app should be very similar, you just need to import the .ics from the link above.

Enjoy,
My nickname might sound girlie, but it is just my lastname, so please, stop flirting with me Romeos. It's awkard.

stog

i have added/embedded the google calendar to the first page of this thread

Tom

I moved BMSS, Mon35, WCW, Tue35, Wed35, Thur35, F3 and Mini's according to USA DST change.
I can not edit the first post!

We sprang forward, so the UTC time goes DOWN one hour.

What about Kiwi and Week In/Out? Do they stay fixed.

Maybe we should add a note to the schedule as to when each one changes due to DST (if ever)

Also the google calendar needs to be updated

tom

socksey

I have updated the times for Fri3 and Mini-Matches.  I only hope TourneyBot is right on now.   :laugh:  God help us twice a year!   :laugh:  I know Sunday Bloody Mary's should be the same time as Mini-Matches on Saturdays, but I don't dare change sixtie's area without his OK.   ;)  Good luck everyone!   :thumbsup2:

socksey

A single rose can be my garden... a single friend, my world. - Leo Buscaglia

rebayona

QuoteAll times are UTC showing when registration opens and when play starts. For Americans not fluent in UTC, I am also listing Eastern time (ET) in the USA which is UTC -5. During Daylight Savings, EDT in the USA is UTC -4. We also have FIBS tourneys from down under, for those, we also list list local AEDT (Australian Eastern Daylight Time)

Match lengths for regular rounds and finals vary. They are in parenthesis below following the tourney name.

• MON --  Week In (3/5) 0830/0900 UTC (1930/2000 AEDT) (0330/0400 ET)
  • MON-FRI -- Krazy Kiwi Klassic 3/5 1230/1300 UTC (2230/2300 AEST) (0730/0800 ET)

socksey recommends this site World Clock where you can click on a city in your time zone to find your UTC differential.   :yes:

There's a problem with this. UTC never changes, EDT and AEDT do. If someone is not fluent converting UTC to EDT, they can go to world clock, but putting conversions here will make it more confusing. I made FIBS tournament on google calendar based on UTC assuming that was the fixed time (considering that there was a reason on why they named it Universal coordinated time), but this morning i realized the one who really matters is EDT since it started at 1200 UTC.

So please, use only one time zone so we can update schedules. It would work like this:

• MON --  Week In (3/5) 0830/0900 UTC from November 5/2012 to march 12/2013, 0730/0800 UTC from March 11/2012 to November 4/2012
(or just simply put USAcentric EDT and leave the conversion problem to the rest of the world, as you guys usually do)
[/list]
My nickname might sound girlie, but it is just my lastname, so please, stop flirting with me Romeos. It's awkard.

Tom

Quote from: rebayona on March 12, 2012, 04:40:40 PM

• MON --  Week In (3/5) 0830/0900 UTC from November 5/2012 to march 12/2013, 0730/0800 UTC from March 11/2012 to November 4/2012
    (or just simply put USAcentric EDT and leave the conversion problem to the rest of the world, as you guys usually do)
    [/list]

I gotta laugh, you picked the ONE of (a few) that are NOT USAcentric!

But yes it IS confusing and it should not be!

I will look at some better wording to make it simpler.
    The biggest thing we need to put the timezone it stays with FIRST

tom

KissMyAss

My Kiwi's follow the american time shifts.  If time has gone back an hour, the kiwi goes back an hour.  Seems to have gone okay last night (monday) as the registration opened at the new time (for me) of half past nine at nite, which is lovely.  The late nights were starting to mess with my internal clock.   So im liking this new timeslot, but will readjust an hour later when time shifts again.  Lol
    "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."  -  Bilbo Baggins (at his 111th Birthday party)

rebayona

Just updated the calendar on google. Each tournament has the hour on its own timezone, so the ones in bold are EDT, the rest London time, with the exception of Saturday stubbies, which I assume is the Australian (Melbourne) time based one.

I guess Google will know how to deal with DSTs, but if something's wrong just let me know.

Tom

I keep puttng off editing the schedule.

I think to reduce the confusion of start times and the need to edit it TWICE a year just to change the times
    maybe we should just list the open/start times in the Time Zone the tourney follows and then people can
    use WorldClock to figure it out, or the Google Calendar for that matter

Thoughts?
    Tom

diane

Most people struggle to work time conversions..look how much trouble we have - even with many years of practice in some cases.

I do think the time edits are a pain in the ass though  ;)

I am in favour of the time zone the tourney is in..followed by the UTC times. If need be - two listings...one for DST and one for ST [with and without daylight savings.]

ifaesfu

I think all the tourneys should have UTC time as "oficial schedule". This time never changes and his own name says it's for everybody, it's UNIVERSAL. As most of tourneys (or all of them) are played by people from all over the world, UTC is the best.

Then, each one would have to deal with their own local daylight saving and so on, but UTC time would be inmmutable.
    What I don't think it's right, it's to change the time of the tourneys according to a specific zone, even though those tourneys are held in that zone.
    Of course, each tourney director is free to use the time they want to, but I'm talking about what I think it's best for all.