News:

VIP Donor members can now edit photo galleries and utilise an extended Custom Profile with buddy lists. Join them - for the price of a beer!

Main Menu

ChouetteBot

Started by alef, February 02, 2004, 08:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alef

burper, since you're sounding full of energy on RepBot (forum link): any thoughts on ChouetteBot? I understand that it's pretty complex, but it is something which other servers lack and would be immensely fun! Are there ways non-programmers can help you develop it?

-Alef

alef

Let's hope an enthusiastic java scripter comes along and picks this up!

One possible solution to the board numbering problem with different clients on FIBS is to have a webpage to see your position. I made an HTML backgammon board for possible use with ChouetteBot some time ago. The idea being to use the FIBS server to enter moves but watch your game and the scoring through a browser.

-Alef

MadMatt

QuoteOne of these days. I'm actually more likely to implement LadderBot first, after being inspired by MadMatt's  TourneyBot.
I'd be more than willing to have ladder tourney implemented in TourneyBot. In fact, if you look like at the TourneyBot homepage it's already on the future feature list.

As TourneyBot is public domain code, maybe you could add the support to it yourself?
I daresay you could learn enough Ruby to code it in less than an hour, there's a free tutorial book available and I'm more than willing to answer any questions regarding TourneyBot API.

I'd even be willing to implement it myself, especially if you provide all the specs, because TourneyBot sure could use more tourney types.
MadMatt
----------

TourneyBot Website

MadMatt

QuoteOne possible solution to the board numbering problem with different clients on FIBS is to have a webpage to see your position. I made an HTML backgammon board for possible use with ChouetteBot some time ago. The idea being to use the FIBS server to enter moves but watch your game and the scoring through a browser.
That would work, but as I've said it here before, an average FIBS user isn't too great with the computery stuff and some have enough problems using their client for regular play, so I daresay many will find it too difficult to manage it this way.

That said, I think adding chouette would be a great thing nonetheless even with the HTML interface and another addition to our growing list of volunteer projects that keep FIBS afloat even so many years after it's been abandoned by its creator.
MadMatt
----------

TourneyBot Website