News:

All new Fibsboard.com for 2011 --" your unofficial Forum for all fings FIBS."
New Membergroups, new boards including topical discussions, Campaigns, Culture and Gossip. Photo Galleries, Forum Backgammon vs Top Guest, and much much more.........faster and improved, with sas :)

Main Menu

Time limits for tourneybot tourneys

Started by diane, April 14, 2004, 10:55:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diane

Following some rather slow matches in tourneys it has been suggested there should be time limits imposed on matches.

I dont think this is appropriate for a number of reasons - the first and most obvious is that it would be a bit of a nightmare for the director to impose them - without some automated means of recording when a match starts.

If fibs had the timing per move facility of a site such as truemoneygames - this would be relatively easy - but since that is not available here - i dont see an easy way to emulate that.  I cant, after all, watch every match that is being played.

Beyond that - I have noticed that players often take tourney matches more seriously than regular matches - and consequently put more thought into each move.  You are all going to find yourself in a complex match which is not going to end quickly, at some point - and i think people would be miffed if the match was lost because of it.  Then - as director - i would have to decide who was in the winning position at the end of the time alloted - something which i dont think is always very straightforward in backgammon!!

I think the current arrangement of no limits - but with warnings to hurry up issued to anyone taking a very long time is probably the way to continue.
Never give up on the things that make you smile