News:

want some cool sounds while you browse the boards.... see the new collapsable web radio section on the LHS, below birthdays, on the Front page

Main Menu

Pip count bug

Started by Luddite, September 21, 2006, 03:34:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luddite

just installed o.9 beta 12. 

Pip count doesn't work worth a darn.  It lists every opponent as "Thorp", and the counts are always WAY off. 

It's a great start, and will be a terrific program when bugged out and tweaked.  My first suggestion for tweaking is to change the board information layout -- player names, pip count, match score, etc is very confusing.  3DFibs layout is very good -- why don't you, uh, steal it? 

THANKS!!!  Looking forward to a great program!

delfibs

In fact this window works in a different way : it shows
- in the left upper panel : your opponent name, his pip count ,his thorp count ( look for thorp count in google if you don't know what it means);
-midle upper panel : opponent score
-right upper panel : your status : connected or not connected
- in the left down panel  : 'You' or the name of the player you're watching,your ( his) pip count, your (his) thorp count
-middle down panel : your (his)  score
right down panel : event's like 'you rolled..., you double..,you moved, x mouved ...'

Thorp Count
    A formula devised by Edward O. Thorp for making doubling decisions in pure race games. It is a modification of the basic pip count which takes into account some elements of checker distribution. Each player's Thorp count is his pip count, plus 2 for each of his checkers still on the board, minus 1 for each of his occupied home board points, plus 1 for each checker on his one-point. Then the player on roll increases his count by 10 percent if it is more than 30. Thorp advises: Double any time your count does not exceed the opponent's by more than 2; redouble any time your count does not exceed opponent's by more than 1; accept the double if your count does not exceed doubler's by more than 2. See post by Simon Woodhead. For a comparison with other methods, see article by Tom Keith

see http://www.bkgm.com/glossary.html

Luddite

OOPS!  What fun -- being stupid in public.   :cry:  I guess I'll read the help files next time.  AND I guess I'll find out more about Thorp -- sounds very useful. 

My suggestion remains though, about information layout.  It would be a lot better to have it in one place, as in 3D Fibs. 

Thanks for the feedback, and thanks for Thorp (whoever he is!)