News:

check out the new Small ads section (Menu top left of  front page ... Snowie 4! SOLD!!!!advertise on fibsboard and turn all that "hanging around software "into ready cash -- small ads just £5!!!

Main Menu

Did you know?

Started by sixty_something, January 07, 2009, 07:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixty_something

supposedly this was originally presented to Sony execs .. not only does it put modern times into a unique perspective, it makes one think and wonder about the answer to the final question

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL9Wu2kWwSY&eurl=http://www.flixxy.com/technology-and-education-2008.htm&feature=player_embedded

what does it make you think about?

for me, i am attempting to get some state sponsored training to bring my database programming skills current .. it makes me remember why i left the computer business in the first place .. i was totally burned out too frequently having to learn what effectively was a whole new language just in order to stay current .. it seems the state of Texas is offering me numerous opportunities to re-learn what i already knew -- duh, how current is that?
i may be better off with Plan B which is to just go drive a truck  :drive1: and become a phone user  B)
A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation. -- Unknown
e-mail me

socksey

STOP, before my brain explodes!   :eager:  Not really!   :laugh: 

It's an amazing world we live in, isn't it?   :o  If you blink, think what you will miss!   ;)

I'm thinking I should never take the time to clean my house again!   :lol:  If only I could!  ;)

socksey

I went to San Francisco.  I found someone's heart. - Stephen Wright

playBunny

So what does it all mean? Get downloading those illegal tracks and albums while there's still a huge herd of downloaders to hide in! :D

playBunny

Quote from: sixty_something on January 07, 2009, 07:56:16 PM
for me, i am attempting to get some state sponsored training to bring my database programming skills current .. it makes me remember why i left the computer business in the first place .. i was totally burned out too frequently having to learn what effectively was a whole new language just in order to stay current .. it seems the state of Texas is offering me numerous opportunities to re-learn what i already knew -- duh, how current is that?

I hear you! I don't know how many times I've found myself writing a routine to do what I've already done with an outdated language or method. Eg. instead of reading and parsing a text file with parameters I read them in from a database. But that's better, surely, the database handles all the data for you? Er, no, it still needs to be told what the data is and the retrieval and writing still needs to be specified. It's as much code as the simple file open, read and write that I used to do except now it's in two languages (code plus SQL) instead of one. Yes, but it's *modern* and that's what matters, isn't it? [heavy sigh] I guess so.

Need a partner to help load that truck? ;)