News:

NEW! Get all Tourneybot Results from the new Board here: http://www.fibsboard.com/tourneybot-results/

Main Menu

Who is BuckoFIBS and why is he watching me?

Started by dickbalaska, January 12, 2009, 07:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dickbalaska

Hi ho,

I have been using JavaFIBS for quite a while, and i really enjoy it.  Unfortunately, i want to make enhancements to it, and the source code is not available, afaict.

So, like any good geek, i wrote my own.  BuckoFIBS can't play yet, but he does good at watching.

Which is why i'm writing.  I'm surprised at the complaints my voyeuristic tendencies elicit :), especially from the weak player "tword".  :laugh:  So, i just wanted to let you know what i'm doing.  Playing is being worked out on a local JavaFIBS server; by the time i play with BuckoFIBS on fibs, i should have all of the kinks worked out.

I also find it interesting at the number of invites BuckoFIBSa receives with a 1500 exp:0 over my real player dickbalaska with a 1650ish exp:450 rating.

dik

sixty_something

:cool: way to go, Bucko .. i especially like your board and checker colors .. it reminds me of my first checkers board from way over 50 years ago .. printed on the back of the checkerboard was a very similar backgammon board .. i was mystified by the rules of the game, printed on the side of the board, as i recall, along with the rules of checkers .. i don't recall ever even attempting to play backgammon back then, but i'm sure i did as i was an avid gamer way back when gamer meant board games only -- computer gaming may have been in its infancy then, computers still occupied gymnasiums and large basements

good luck with BuckoFIBS and welcome to the zoo  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation. -- Unknown
e-mail me

Patti

I recommend two things:

Use the "address" command to identify the account as a non-playing one.  That way, anyone can do a whois and figure out what's going on.

Second, don't toggle ready if you don't tend to play.  That's just good manners... it saves people from issuing and waiting for invitations that will never be accepted.

PersianLord

I like the shouting dogfight captured in your screenshot. It shows the FIBS nation how magnanimously does a certain self-proclaimed 'expert' (blah blah) perceive a win in a 'friendly' tournament.

BTW, good luck with your adventure.

Regards
The leftist's feelings of inferiority run so deep that he cannot tolerate any classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the rejection by many leftists of the concept of mental illness and of the utility of IQ tests.  - T.K

dickbalaska

Quote from: Patti on January 12, 2009, 08:43:52 PM
Second, don't toggle ready if you don't tend to play.  That's just good manners... it saves people from issuing and waiting for invitations that will never be accepted.
Speaking of good manners, how about the flip side?  When i'm really waiting to play, i get an invite and faster than you can say "ok", the inviter is playing with someone else.  What, does the phoneware just blast invites to everyone?

dik

socksey

Newbies don't know that the next invite cancels out the last.   :ohmy:  It is common for newies, therefore, to just invite everyone ready until someone quickly accepts.   :(  This leaves you and I frustrated.   :cry:  I shout about this when I am on and wish everyone else would do the same.  The problem gets old and I don't know what else to do about it.   :wacko:

I'm told that some of the phone users cannot see shouts.  I know the invite problem is not only with phone users but with newbies who don't know any better.

socksey

The world can be a frightening place.  The challenge is to try to stay save.  Don't always dwell on heavy, disturbing thngs and try to just enuoy life sometimes. - Randy

playBunny

Quote from: socksey on January 23, 2009, 02:53:05 AM
I'm told that some of the phone users cannot see shouts.

I use 3DFibs and DelFibs and I can't see the shouts either. You have to open the door if you want to go in and read the abuse that the children are throwing at each other! :D

socksey

Shouts can be seen with 3DFibs by changing the option from server to shouts in bottom right window.  I don't remember if I've used Delfibs before, but I can't imagine any of the clients for PC or Mac not being able to see shouts.   :ohmy:

socksey

What is worse than the thought of me being a fool?  Is it the thought of me not being myself. - unknown

inim

Quote from: dickbalaska on January 12, 2009, 07:52:39 PM
I have been using JavaFIBS for quite a while, and i really enjoy it.  Unfortunately, i want to make enhancements to it, and the source code is not available, afaict.

Do you plan to make the source code for your program available, or even make it a team project?
This space is available for rent by advertisers. Call 0900-INIMITE today, and see your sales skyrocketing in no time! New customers receive free Vl@9rĂ¥ and a penis enlargement set as a bonus! We support banners, flash banners, and scrollers. Discrete handling by our HQ on the Dutch Antilles.

playBunny

Quote from: socksey on January 23, 2009, 07:02:13 PM
Shouts can be seen with 3DFibs by changing the option from server to shouts in bottom right window.

I don't think you understood me. It's :
Quote from: playBunnyI use 3DFibs and DelFibs and I can't see the shouts either. You have to open the door if you want to go in and read the abuse that the children are throwing at each other!

As in :
I have a TV but I can't see the Jerry Springer Show. You have to switch it on and select the right channel if you want to see the abuse and punches that the children are throwing at each other!

;)

dickbalaska

Quote from: inim on January 24, 2009, 12:50:46 AM
Do you plan to make the source code for your program available, or even make it a team project?
Probably.  It has its own web page where you can see the source code... http://www.buckosoft.com/BuckoFIBS/ but i haven't released a zip of the source yet.

Quote from: socksey on January 23, 2009, 02:53:05 AM
Newbies don't know that the next invite cancels out the last.   :ohmy: 
I didn't know that one only got one open invitation.  :blushsmiley:

dickbalaska

So...
I've been taking BuckoFIBS out for a spin, i've had my ass kicked by 4 robots so far.
Today, while waiting for a MissManners message to come through, i got an invite for 1 game which i accepted (no double cube yet for me).

I got me my first dropper!  I've listened to y'all whine about phone phreaks and i've never had a single dropper (when i really play with JavaFIBS), even with phoney players.  And then ... i play my first human with my new toy and he bails on me when i put 3 of his checkers on the bar.  Pisser!

Here's my screen shot du jour.  Notes:
I have a saved game with GammonBot_VIII (no "invite GammonBot_VIII resume" yet).  MissManners warnings should show up here as a yellow triangle.

The error messages:
Top: I do full start-to-end regex on the messages.  I've seen more than the two documented run-ons (board and accept-double).  This one needs to be fixed.
Middle: I don't handle "You kibitz ..." yet.
Bottom: Death to stevensson!

dik