News:

thx diane, jeeves Caleb sixty Zorba  Linus & jackdaddy Tom  Michael r_monk Anonymous  Jade & roygbiv*  our 2013 donors..cheers! we will really need Help this year as i think we will need a better Host server

Main Menu

who list incomplete?

Started by Chris, March 21, 2005, 03:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

Hi again  -_-

My bot tries to hold a always actual list of all fibs users who are logged in.

I observed that the "who list", which the bot gets when it logs in, is not complete.
There are perhaps 20 users missing.
When I send the "rawwho" command, I get a list with more users, but again some are missing (not the same ones as at the log in).

So either my bot is flawed and ignores some lines or there is a bug in fibs.
Is this a known issue? Are there known workarounds?

Thanks for your help, Chris

MadMatt

Yeah, that is a known bug. No workaround for it either, although if a user toggles the ready status it will put him back on the list.
MadMatt
----------

TourneyBot Website

tryout

I have found that the actual number of missing players from the list a who or rawwho command returns depends on the connection speed. On a modem connection far less entries come through which suggests it's a server internal timeout. The incomplete list is neither dependent on whether it's the initial list, btw. I can also confirm that one usually get's more users with rawwho than with who.

You can get more or less easily to a complete list by changing the sort order in which (raw)who returns the data and multiple (raw)who requests. In general a four command sequence is enough: set sortwho rating; rawwho; set sortwho rrating; rawwho. Note the double r on the second sort.

GammonLeague -- Join free Backgammon tournaments
[size=8] [/size]
FIBS TEAM League -- Play Backgammon with friends in a team

socksey

This is an old topic refound today.   ;)

Thanks tryout.  Chris pointed me here and your solution seems to help.   :yes:

socksey

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." - William Butler Yeats

amarganth

Because of that, I've asked some day in shouts, how much players some players with different FIBS-Clients are seeing.

The number of users were different by about 20%. I think, no client or bot can manage a correct number.

To be is to do
          Sokrates
To do is to be
          Sartre
Do be do be do
          Sinatra

Hardy_whv

Hi amarganth,

QuoteI think, no client or bot can manage a correct number.

I think with the method layed out by tryout (set sortwho rating - who - set sortwho rrating - who - set sortwho login - who) you finally get - if you wait enough between the different "who" commands - the correct amout of players online. [Doing only 2 whos with different settings for sortwho somtimes left some players missing in the players list here. So I do 3 different whos.]

After that, its only a question of correctly taking into consideration the logins and logouts.

Without using this "trick", especially using slow connections, probably every client will be "trapped". Was there a significant difference between the amount of players online at the different clients?

Hardy  B)  
Visit "Hardy's Backgammon Pages"