News:

thx diane, jeeves Caleb sixty Zorba  Linus & jackdaddy Tom  Michael r_monk Anonymous  Jade & roygbiv*  our 2013 donors..cheers! we will really need Help this year as i think we will need a better Host server

Main Menu

My Home Page

Started by deuce, May 25, 2004, 09:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deuce

Hi:

Me n' the wife are building a website.   It's just bare bones at the moment.  But there are a lot of cool pics from the recent arrival of Brood X of 17-Year Cicaidas.

Check out www.beckerhowe.com

Comments welcome.

webrunner

:wacko:
Ehhh.. i am missing something really important on your homepage: FIBS!
:LOL2:  
"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

jasonj

Deuce -

my only comment at this stage would be to encourage you to resize your images in a program like Photoshop so that they are the same size that you display them on your page. Folks who are dialing up will appreciate it.

JasonJ
jasonj <---- listening to WIDR.org

deuce

Thanks for the feedback, Lasonj.

I'm just not sure that I understand it.

"same size as they display on your page"?  Isn't that the size that they are?

If this is a stupid question, I apologize, we're kinda new at this.

We are "optimizing for web" in Photoshop Elements, but we wanted to save image clarity, especially in the macros.

Any advice?

And a FIBS link will come, webrunner, probably under Tim's Stuff, once I have a moment to build it - I'm in rehearsal for a Production of Verdi's "Otello" and that has me booked pretty much solid for any non-day-job hours for the next three weeks.

FIBS will be representin' - word up!

webrunner

Try to "resize the image"
Now you only resized the way they are displayed.. that means that the bvig version is still downloaded by the viewing party and it is resized on their computer.
Obviously it should be resized before you even put it on the net.
It saves you uploading time and your visitors downloading time.
"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

zakasax

I think I understand what Jasonj wanted to mean... those pics are too heavy, so that they take too long to be watched.
I have a pretty fast connection, but I had to wait a little too long to download them...

Anyway. I want to congratulate; you both look so nice, and yours is a very good idea. Keep on ;-)

Another suggestion... why don't you add a short text to introduce any pics section? (for example.. what are those terrible cicadas and where they come from???)

Greetings

zak

deuce

Hi:

If any of y'all would lke to check the website, many of the pages have been resized, finally.   Thanks for your input.

Check also under Tim's Stuff for images of my band at a recent gig.  Sound samples to follow eventually.

Zak: Cicaidas are interesting bugs!  They have a 17 year life cycle, and spent 16 years of it underground as grubs.  They emerge in the spring of the 17th year, molt, gain their wings, and fly about in an orgy of mating, for a few weeks.  Then they lay their eggs in the new stem growth of trees.  After they mate and lay their eggs, they die.  The eggs hatch, and the tiny grubs chew the stems to the point that they drop off the trees (It really doesn't harm the trees much at all).  Then the grubs burrow into the ground, where they will feed, sucking fluid from tree roots.  There they stay for the next seventeen years.  Amazing, really.

They don't bite, they don't sting.  They are essentially harmless.

But if your dog eats a lot of them, it will probably throw up.  :-)

socksey

lucky me!  i found this after the fix!  lovely pics!  excellent clarity. ;)))

we have the cicadas here as well.  i was actually bitten by one, once.  i found it that way when i was weeding in my garden.  thx for the info.  i didn't know any of that.  lol

socksey

"A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the word you first thought of." - Burt Bacharach

Hardy_whv

One short recommendation: The start-page of your website is titled "index". So "index" is displayed on the top part of the browser and if someone wants to add your site to his bookmarks, its saved as "index". I recommend to call it something like "Lill & Tim's Home Page". In the head-section of the html-documents you should include:

<HEAD>
   <TITLE>Lill & Tim's Home Page</TITLE>
</HEAD>

Ciao,

Hardy   B)

Visit "Hardy's Backgammon Pages"