News:

VIP Donor members can now edit photo galleries and utilise an extended Custom Profile with buddy lists. Join them - for the price of a beer!

Main Menu

FIBS London gathering for August

Started by alef, May 09, 2004, 12:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jag

You might want to try the Holiday Inn Express at Limehouse.

I've just noticed that there is also the Holiday Inn Docklands, which is just around the corner and on the same side of the river.

diane

They do sound good suggestions - saved me some hunting today - thx  :D

Although the second link took me to the Hilton - which seemed a bit more expensive than the holiday inn - I searched and found this address..Holiday Inn Docklands

Hope these suggestions help folks.
Never give up on the things that make you smile

spielberg

Any non english / Londoners might be interested to now that this is the weekend of the Notting Hill carnival (largest carnival in Europe) - and thus have another incentive to come to London.

I plan to attend and will have a digicam with me - diane better wear nail varnish

diane

Nice, but quite seriously, if you intend that digicam to go home with you in the same number of pieces it arrived, please keep it well away from me - and i mean away - not just when i happen to be looking!  :D  

MikeMadMonk

QuoteI am still looking for a nice hotel, not too far from the venue with good public transport connections to the city center, not too expensive, but at the same time with appropriate comfort for a man of my age :rolleyes:   Any recommendations anyone?

Looking forward!

Hardy   B)
Dear Hardy,

The closest good hotel is the Hilton London Docklands Riverside Hotel.

It is down the road (approx. 0.5 kilometre) along Rotherhithe Street.

http://www.hilton.co.uk/property/1101_Prep...sp?hid=11000760

Prices start from Ã,£69 per night

Currency Converter: http://www.xe.com/ucc/

There is a bus every 15 minutes to the Spice Island Pub / Restaurant.

There is another bus from the YHA (across the road from the Spice Island) to London Bridge every 15 minutes - from there you can easily get the the centre of London.

Hope this helps.

Your roll of the dice !

MikeMadMonk

P.S. Good website you got there - very good collection of backgammon books listed.

Hardy_whv

Hi everyone,

thanks for your hotel recommendations. I did not book yet, but I am quite confident now, I do not have to sleep under a bridge.  :D

QuoteP.S. Good website you got there - very good collection of backgammon books listed.

Thanks MMM  :)   While the website is still very much under construction, the bibliography is already complete. I intend to offer an english version of the website as well, but this will take some more months. Everyone, who wants to get rid of some of his backgammon books which I am still searching for , please let me know.

16 days and counting ....   My dice are loaded already  :P

Hardy    B)  
Visit "Hardy's Backgammon Pages"

jag

Quick word of warning to those flying to London on BA that weekend, BA ground staff are threatening to strike

diane

Well these things often come to nothing - so lets cross everything - and - well it isnt so much of a swim if you drive to the French coast  ;)

Maybe you had all best come early and miss the four specified dates.  :D  

grillbill

Relegated to the wish list!  :(  This is very upsetting. I am going to have to make some tough choices once I get back to the UK I see. Hmmm I am going to do everything I can to make it, trust me.  ;)  

MikeMadMonk

QuoteQuick word of warning to those flying to London on BA that weekend, BA ground staff are threatening to strike
In response to the threatened BA strike, Easyjet have sent out the following:  

British Airways has just announced that it has stopped taking bookings for all four days of the Bank Holiday weekend due to the probability of strike action at some of the UK's biggest airports.

easyJet expects to fly its aircraft about 85% full over the August Bank Holiday. This means that there are literally thousands of seats still available, including flights from London's Gatwick, Luton, and Stansted airports, for those passengers who are being inconvenienced by the action or have still yet to book their travel.

Time is precious. Fly from your local airport to the major airports of some of Europe's most attractive cities. Don't let others ruin your holiday weekend - fly easyJet instead!

http://www.easyjet.com/en/

diane

Without wishing to advertise - just to pass on a top tip - ryanair are doing exactly the same - only cheaper  :D

Any of these small airlines flying from lesser used airports are going to still be running - so look for flights to stanstead. Admitedly the travelling from stanstead to london is a bit tricky - but if anyone is landing around 10 30 on friday - i will be there to collect juggler - so let me know - and we can make a party of the journey  :D

See you all very soon!

diane

Ok folks - in keeping with true fibsgathering tradition, we have included, for your delight, a last minute change of venue  :D

The saturday event will take place in New Cross - at a club called Goldsmiths Tavern.  We get the whole restaurant to ourselves, an ideal space with tables, sofas - all day food and bar staff just for us  ;)

I think this will work out nicely  - and after, they have djs downstairs - so we can go and act lively, to offset all the sitting about, eating and drinking we will have been doing  :D

It is very easy to get to from everywhere - two major train stations - New Cross and New Cross gate are either side of the venue - about 5 mins walk.  There are buses/nightbuses to and from everywhere (in London) - so those who wish to stay beyond train times - can still get home without breaking the bank. Also - being New Cross - the actual cost of the eating and drinking will be better - the food menu looked very good too.

If you come in on the New Cross line - come out of the station on to the main road and turn right - walk along for about 5 mins - and you will reach a huge black monstrosity of a building 'The Venue' (ahhhhhh I spent many a happy night there in my youth  :D, I am still on first name terms with most of the staff! )  Goldsmiths Tavern is directly across the road (the main road - do not confuse it with the New Cross Inn, on the other corner).  If you come in on New Cross Gate line - come onto main road and turn left  - walk 5 mins(maybe a little further) - and you will run into the same black unmissable building.

On entering the tavern - the restaurant is upstairs - just ask the bar staff - they will guide you.

Looking forwrd to seeing you all  :D

Crispin Duke

thanks for venus change confirm i will look forward to meet you lots on Saturday
it will be my 2nd tour as been mike TTT first time this month and won it  :D

see you it will be nice to meet other BG people

Crispy (UK_Backgammon or blue_duke)

diane

OK - there are now photos - and since I have scrutinised them - and they seem to be ok  ;)  - here is the link..

London Photos

Hardy_whv

Thanks again to the organizing committee! I really enjoyed the party!

I am missing a photo of dianes fingernails on alefs website. Everyone missing it as well can find it (and other pictures) here: www.hardyhuebener.de/photos.html

One small correction to the tournament results: zdoc won the consolation, I only won the last chance.

Hope we will meet again on the London FIBS gathering 2005   :D

Hardy     B)  
Visit "Hardy's Backgammon Pages"