News:

howdy HNY 2023
just sorting out Fibsboard a bit basically archiving it & updating the software to protect the database

let me know of any problems/ideas thx

should be easier to view on mobile devices now that's it's a more responsive design

Main Menu

Future Of Fibsboard

Started by webrunner, August 04, 2006, 11:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What shall i do with Fibsboard?

Shut it down forever?
1 (2.2%)
Just upgrade the forum script to be more save?
10 (22.2%)
Just upgrade the forum and renew the lay-out?
5 (11.1%)
Add more features like picture galleries, news and articles (contributed by members), general backgammon information, etc.?
29 (64.4%)

Total Members Voted: 45

webrunner

Please give me some feedback on what you all want.
"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

burper

i don't think 'shut it down forever' won't get many votes, since those that don't have any use for the site don't visit very often, duh.
i think you can take the overwhelming silence as direction, rather than a poll that won't get 20 votes for months to come

diane

Arghhh, these people are fibsters - quiet when you most need em to talk - and noisy when you wish they would butt out  :D

Thing is - this forum is used very regularly - and would be more so if it contained less bickering and more useful stuff I think.  You have a new member joined today for the express purpose of posting her proposed tourneys in the calendar.  Check the views on articles if you think no one is watching !!!!

Please retain this valuable fibs companian - in whatever format people seem to want - and whatever you can do in terms of time, resource and effort - but please do not shut it down - we do all use it far more than it may seem  :yes:  
Never give up on the things that make you smile

Hardy_whv

I think FIBS Board is a great forum! I used it already a couple of times for organizing our famous German/Swiss FIBS-Parties, and it especially is a great place for FIBS newbies to get help for their first steps into FIBS.

And because it's so great and really easy to handle only very few features come to my mind which could be added. A bit more backgammon related stuff perhaps (articles, perhpaps even a database, recommended reading). Also I experienced some troubles with the "Report" function and the "eMail" function recently.

I think there presently is not so much feedback here because a lot of FIBSters are on holiday presently.

I really appreciate your work webrunner for the FIBS community!!!    :yes:

Hardy   :rolleyes:  
Visit "Hardy's Backgammon Pages"

webrunner

QuoteAlso I experienced some troubles with the "Report" function and the "eMail" function recently.

That is exactly why i need to upgrade the forum. This application is not uptodatw with current server techniques.

Thanks for your kind words Hardy. ^_^  
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

burper

Quoteand would be more so if it contained less bickering
Landru will give you peace and tranquility

dorbel

I've enjoyed Fibsboard Webby. I'll take it as I find it and leave improvements to those who know what they are talking about. I hope that you find the time and energy to keep it going for us. After all, anything that attracts mean-spirited jeering from the eternally bilious burper is probably worth saving! Good luck with it.

webrunner

91 reads and only 11 votes?? :wacko:

Come on people, you can do better!
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

Hardy_whv

Well, another proposal for the future FIBS Board: Allow multipe votes (for senior members)  :lol:

Hardy   B)  
Visit "Hardy's Backgammon Pages"

burper

QuoteCome on people, you can do better!
Its' amazing how uncontrollable they are, isn't it?
Perhaps if we created something whereby they could cause perceived harm to each other it might become popular....oh wait...nevermind.

burper

webrunner, don't wait for a poll of fibs users to decide what to do. and don't wait for any show of enthusiasm either, just decide for yourself and do it. repbot would never have been created if i did that.

fibs users are lone wolfs by nature, and very hard to herd. (in fact, it is probably the ones who disagree with you the most and are the most controversial that you should encourage dialog with, but that is another subject really)

what we had going back in the days when there was a 'back room' here won't happen again. we are all the wiser for it. we were all trying to bend to each others' wishes to achieve a group goal that never got defined well and ultimately never achieved.

you've got your corner of the fibs world covered with the forums. change out-of-date software if you want, that's your decision alone, noone else will care. link to fibs to fight spam, find some other solution, or do nothing, its' all you. expand capabilities or not, whatever.

lots of power, ideas and skills across the fibs user base, if there was only a way to harness it... its' an exercise in frustration that you must let go of. do what you can when you can, use whatever scraps of help you get when you can get it, but drive what you want by yourself. the coders don't come here much (myself as an exception), and the others don't know what is possible or what you would be willing to do, so you are really asking questions they are unequipped to answer. if you really are able to listen to the responses, they have been and i predict will continue to be "yeah, keep it going (it doesn't cost me anything) but do whatever you think is best, whatever, make it better somehow, whatever, good going, whatever".

Schigolch

I've contributed little, but have read a lot here - which helped me a lot. I have nothing to add to what Hardy and dorbel have said in this thread. Keep up the good work!

padski

There wasn't an option which said "since you're the one doing the work, please have fun" :)

You mention a bunch of excellent possibilities for new features, but the one that jumps out at me is the wiki.  There is a great deal of knowledge, some of it very esoteric, about backgammon out there, but it seems to be scattered between the internet, books and personal knowledge.  So a document-centred aspect might make a nice counterpoint to the bulletin-board aspect, but, as with any of the possibilities, there's only one way to find out :)  

The bach flower remedy for indecision is wild oats ;)

KDP

i think the fibsboard is the perfect compliment to the main fibs web page.  its a great place to get the latest poop on whats happening at fibs whether it be tourney and or league information, updates and reviews of the latest interfaces.  even when things tend to get out of hand with the rants and tirades, at least they are fun to read and remind (me at least) that there are vastly more important things in life and playing computer games.   i voted for the last option, keep it and add more stuff.  keep up the good work.

jonesyjt

I like fibsboard the way it is.  I don't like a lot of fluff.  For example, my cell phone just makes phone calls.  It doesn't play MP3s, it doesn't take pictures, it doesn't make pasta.  It does vibrate though, which can be fun.

jonesyjt

webrunner

so.. are you asking me to make fibsboard vibrate? :wacko:  :lol:  
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

diane

QuoteI like fibsboard the way it is.  I don't like a lot of fluff.  For example, my cell phone just makes phone calls.  It doesn't play MP3s, it doesn't take pictures, it doesn't make pasta.  It does vibrate though, which can be fun.

jonesyjt
I have the opposite end - my new phone does EVERYTHING, mp3, takes pics and videos, accesses the internet (I am sure It will let me play FIBS from there - and I can send emails), makes video calls (I think the booklet mentioned it making cups of tea for me ;) ).

I am still using my old one cos I havent the faintest idea how to operate it.....  :wacko:  
Never give up on the things that make you smile

Zorba

I'm all for it. We good use some good vibrations here! :LOL2:  
The fascist's feelings of insecurity run so deep that he desperately needs a classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the fascist's embracement of concepts like mental illness and IQ tests.  - R.J.V.

Luck is my main skill

adamosad

Just do as much as you can do for the site. Go on with the good work... :yes:  

cassandra

just upgrade i vote.
a board lives when people are writing, but it is not nessesary, i think. it can be only an information-platform.
but if fun is less then work, i would understand, if a admin gave up a board.
i know this situation. and it is a very subjective decision...