News:

Subscribe to Fibsboard for just £5 a year - get a special badge! VIP Articles and Links and much more..ensure our future and earn real kudos with your friends and enemies alike! http://www.fibsboard.com/donate.php

Main Menu

Pip count bug

Started by Luddite, September 21, 2006, 03:34:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luddite

just installed o.9 beta 12. 

Pip count doesn't work worth a darn.  It lists every opponent as "Thorp", and the counts are always WAY off. 

It's a great start, and will be a terrific program when bugged out and tweaked.  My first suggestion for tweaking is to change the board information layout -- player names, pip count, match score, etc is very confusing.  3DFibs layout is very good -- why don't you, uh, steal it? 

THANKS!!!  Looking forward to a great program!

delfibs

In fact this window works in a different way : it shows
- in the left upper panel : your opponent name, his pip count ,his thorp count ( look for thorp count in google if you don't know what it means);
-midle upper panel : opponent score
-right upper panel : your status : connected or not connected
- in the left down panel  : 'You' or the name of the player you're watching,your ( his) pip count, your (his) thorp count
-middle down panel : your (his)  score
right down panel : event's like 'you rolled..., you double..,you moved, x mouved ...'

Thorp Count
    A formula devised by Edward O. Thorp for making doubling decisions in pure race games. It is a modification of the basic pip count which takes into account some elements of checker distribution. Each player's Thorp count is his pip count, plus 2 for each of his checkers still on the board, minus 1 for each of his occupied home board points, plus 1 for each checker on his one-point. Then the player on roll increases his count by 10 percent if it is more than 30. Thorp advises: Double any time your count does not exceed the opponent's by more than 2; redouble any time your count does not exceed opponent's by more than 1; accept the double if your count does not exceed doubler's by more than 2. See post by Simon Woodhead. For a comparison with other methods, see article by Tom Keith

see http://www.bkgm.com/glossary.html

Luddite

OOPS!  What fun -- being stupid in public.   :cry:  I guess I'll read the help files next time.  AND I guess I'll find out more about Thorp -- sounds very useful. 

My suggestion remains though, about information layout.  It would be a lot better to have it in one place, as in 3D Fibs. 

Thanks for the feedback, and thanks for Thorp (whoever he is!)