click the random photo on the front page to go directly to the forum

Main Menu

BG and Leopard: GnuBG? MacFibs?

Started by hansepunk+, November 20, 2007, 06:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hansepunk+

Hi everybody,

I recently switched from Windows to Mac,  :thumbsup2:
therefore I'm playing FIBS with JavaFIBS or CocoaFIBS now.

But I'm missing my good old GnuBG...  :cry:

Is there any chance to use GnuBG with OS Leopard?

Or is there any other good and free program to analyze my played matches on a Mac?
Obviously CocoaFIBS hasn't got this tutoring feature, and I haven't used MacFIBS yet.

Thanx for your help,  :)
hansepunk+

btw, concerning the thread on Cocoa: My Cocoa ist still working, it's version 0.5 Beta...

ergo

GnuBG is available as a software package in http://www.MacPorts.org/, maybe in http://finkproject.org/ too. Maybe you can compile it for Mac yourself. Or have a look here: http://www.gnubg.org/index.php?itemid=23 (which is based on finkproject).

Regards ergo

stiefnu

I am trying to get GnuBG to work on a Mac (G5 with 10.4.11), without success.  I have downloaded the Gnu software ok, got Gnu into the dock and, I think, activated the XDroplets Setup program correctly.  However, when I double click on Gnu in the dock, the icon bounces up and down, but the program doesn't open.  Before that can happen, I get an 'AppleEvent timed' out error message...

All helpful suggestions gratefully received!

stiefnu

wintom

The most up to date Mac versions of GnuBG can be found here.
There is a PPC and an Intel version ready for download. I do NOT know if the Intel build also works on Leopard. But please let me know!

Thomas
The Backgammon Blog: Graswurzel Backgammon

Ramses

If you need GnuBg for 10.4.+ go there:

http://idisk.mac.com/joerg.picard/Public/?view=web

download the dmg file and install Gnu in your Applicationfolder.
It worked well for me.
Don't forget to read the "Readme-File"  :)

Ramses

What i forgot to mention is, that when you are asked for the login, you can ignore this. it works without being logged in.

timchase01

Quote from: Ramses on January 24, 2008, 04:48:31 PM
If you need GnuBg for 10.4.+ go there:

http://idisk.mac.com/joerg.picard/Public/?view=web

download the dmg file and install Gnu in your Applicationfolder.
It worked well for me.
Don't forget to read the "Readme-File"  :)

I just upgraded to Leopard and can't get gnubg to work.  I did work fine for me in Tiger.  I downloaded the dmg from the above link and then copied to my applications folder.  When I try to run it just pops up a window saying it quit unexpectedly.  :(  Does anyone have any ideas on how to make it run?

teyakis

Quote from: stiefnu on January 23, 2008, 03:38:23 PM
I am trying to get GnuBG to work on a Mac (G5 with 10.4.11), without success.  I have downloaded the Gnu software ok, got Gnu into the dock and, I think, activated the XDroplets Setup program correctly.  However, when I double click on Gnu in the dock, the icon bounces up and down, but the program doesn't open.  Before that can happen, I get an 'AppleEvent timed' out error message...

All helpful suggestions gratefully received!

stiefnu

I had the same problem as you...so i tried something different and it worked!

- load your mac osx install disc1
- go to 'xcode tools', then 'packages', then install X11.pkg
- in X11, select the Applications -> Customize menu
- in the "X11 Application Menu" window that pops up, click the "Add Item" button
- in the newly created empty entry to the left, type in "gnubg" in the left column, and in the right column type the commands (separated by semi-colons) you would have typed to run GNU Backgammon for MacOS X from the Terminal window; that is:

cd ~/Applications/gnubg;./gnubg -w

if you installed gnubg in your private Applications folder, or: cd   /Applications/gnubg;./gnubg -w
      if you installed it in the global (top-level) Applications folder.
      Please note the required extra "-w" argument after "./gnubg"

You will then be able to launch GNU Backgammon for MacOS X by merely selecting the "gnubg" item in X11's Applications menu.

hope this works for you  :thumbsup2:

stiefnu

Thanks everyone who tried to help but I have made no progress with getting GnuBG to load.  I have re-downloaded Gnu ~ I had the latest version already.  I have tried to reload X11 ~ Apple tell me I already have the latest version.  I have checked everything again, several times ~ Gnu stubbornly refuses to load.  And I know that, even if I do manage to get it to play ball, it's not going to be able to mesh with CocoaFIBS anyway...  So I suppose I should look on the bright side, by contenting myself with the thought that I don't have to change over to JavaFibs yet ~ which I just don't like the 'feel' of, even if Cocoa does have it's quirks.

Analysis software that I have been able to load is BGBlitz.  It's great for playing against and also for post-match evaluation of specific match situations, cube decisions and the like.  I can grab a screen shot of positions that look interesting and check it out later.  However, it doesn't mesh with Cocoa either and so won't provide a Gnu-type overview of a game, with analysis of luck, player performance, blunders, etc.  Hmmm.  maybe it is time to persevere with JavaFibs after all...

stiefnu

claudio_first

Hi, on my iMac (G5 + 10.4.11), I have installed Gnu and it's working fine too. Even on an old iMac (green) born in Classic and turned in tiger ;)

First downolad X11 and put in Utilities or Application (are many place where you can do it).
Than read carefully here: "http://www.gnubg.org/index.php?itemid=23" and download Gnu from link given by MdPetch.
After the download PUT the folder "sw" on HD NOT in application together the rest of Gnu.

Don't worry for the "Custom menu" on X11 is enough a double click directly on Gnu's icon and the program is launched.

The version is 0.14.3-devel is not the last but is enough that you set analysis & player in "3ply" you get a very good Gnu even in "2 ply" is a bit faster.

After that  you can compare the analysis of BgBlitz, that is a very very good program and is much more easy to install for us (mac users), with the ones of Gnu.

Claudio

stiefnu

Quote from: claudio_first on March 11, 2008, 09:43:51 AM
First downolad X11 and put in Utilities or Application (are many place where you can do it).
Than read carefully here: "http://www.gnubg.org/index.php?itemid=23" and download Gnu from link given by MdPetch.
After the download PUT the folder "sw" on HD NOT in application together the rest of Gnu.

Hooray!  I have, at last, managed to download GnuBG!  :veryhappy:  Thank you Claudio and Ramses and Teyakis and all who have patiently tried to advise me!  The problem I was having, I now realise, was at the X11 download stage.  For the benefit of any other Mac Power-PC Tiger/OSX 10.4 users, here is what I did:
1.  Insert your system disc.
2.  Double click on Optional Installs.  NB Ignore the folder called Xcode Tools ~ it is merely a distraction, designed to confuse feeble-minded amateurs.
3.  Go through the Install Optional Installs installer procedure.  Don't panic, this is easier than it sounds.  Really.
4.  When you get to Custom Install on "Macintosh HD", click on Applications to find X11.  Click on Install.
5.  The Finishing Up stage says it's going to take less than a minute and then takes much, much longer.  It appears to freeze.  Stay calm.
6.  Just as you are about to despair, yet again, X11 arrives in your Utilities folder.  Where you leave it, untouched, wondering to yourself why the blessed thing wasn't there in the first place.
7.  Download GnuBG from this link, using the GnuBG.dmg. package:  http://www2.capp-sysware.com/downloads/Tiger/
8.  Drag the GnuBG icon into Applications* and then, if you want, into the Dock as well.  Double click on the icon.
9.  Cross your fingers, touch wood, pray to your maker or indulge in whatever other superstition floats your boat and... voila!  You should now have GnuBG!
10. If you have not, I really don't know what to advise, other than the usual cursing and screaming.

*  Claudio, it doesn't seem to matter if it goes into Applications.  The link I found from MdPetch doesn't seem to have a .sw anyway.

Having just switched from CocoaFibs to JavaFibs, now I just have to get to grips with GnuBG.  It will be interesting to compare it with BGBlitz and to be able to analyse my FIBS matches, at least until that option becomes available on BGBlitz in the autumn.

stiefnu

claudio_first

The "sw" folder is dowloable from the first link in the MdPetch post

mdpetch wrote:
I am posting this on behalf of John <johnca@ourpla.net> from rec.games.backgammon:

Okay, happiness for Mac users:

All hail Michael Petch (with Pierre Vaiu getting
lighting-fire-under-butt credit). Michael has re-posted the files for
10.3, and created new 10.4 files. For 10.4, extract this:

http://www2.capp-sysware.co...

...and put it in the root directory of your system's hard drive.

In any case if it works... :thumbsup2:

Claudio ;)

stog

just installed the latest gnu for leopard (complete package) http://www.gnubg.org/ uploaded in july 08 i think -- i'm on a PPC, and everything seems fine, except the game comments such as ! and ? dont seem to have the colour help, shown in zorba's excellent article (his is pc) is there a setting im missing i wonder? i was propelled into trying gnu again, after a player moaned about my luck, and i asked whether he analysed... i got no response, so i thought id have a try and lo.... it seems that i wasn't :) ....which cheered me up. also it seems to give you useful pointers&nbsp; :) - im looking forward to having the time to use it again..

thx for everyone's help

kingbee

I'm have a G4 MacBook running Leopard 10.5.8. I installed the full package from the link on the gnubg home page.
I get the following error message when I attempt to start gnubg: 

Bad CPU type in executable

I know people have been successful on G4's. Any ideas?

stog

ensure you have x11 installed and running

kingbee

stog

ok --
mine too is a ppc and runs ok - i run x11 first then crank up the gnu (0.14.3 - devel)
--i'll post something more if i get any ideas..