News:

"Fibsboard allows for more considered reading and response, whereas Fibs shout is a more intuitive interaction"

Main Menu

JavaFIBS Development - New Features needed

Started by Tom, January 19, 2008, 01:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burper

Quote from: inim on February 08, 2008, 08:03:34 PM
Could you elaborate what this means? The last Mac I used had 8 bit, so I've never seen CocoaFibs running ...

It's what it sounds like: a secure store for certificates, passwords, etc...
javafibs itself maintains several accounts, but this integration would allow access the mac keychain app.
There are such apps available for other OS's. Perhaps there is a standard protocol for such things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Keychain

http://keepass.info/
http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/

teyakis

Not sure if anyone else using a mac and javafibs has the same problem:

copy and paste do not work.  :unhappy:

The only way to save anything from shouts, etc is to right click and the only options available are:

'clear' or 'save as' (which is fine cause you can save it in a text file) ; but i CANNOT paste anything into javafibs!!

Anyone else have this problem? or am i missing something?  :wacko:

Thanx

kleine_meid

Just a thougt of a "digibeet"  :huh::

Couldn't use the normal quickmenu's also (right klick for copy the same, paste doesn't exist it seems on fibs)

Found out that using ctrl + c (for copy) and ctrl + v (for pasting) does the job for me... maybe you could try...

who thinks to be someone stopped becoming someone

teyakis

Quote from: kleine_meid on February 12, 2008, 03:06:40 PM
Just a thougt of a "digibeet"  :huh::

Couldn't use the normal quickmenu's also (right klick for copy the same, paste doesn't exist it seems on fibs)

Found out that using ctrl + c (for copy) and ctrl + v (for pasting) does the job for me... maybe you could try...

who thinks to be someone stopped becoming someone

Thanks kleine...but i had already tried that...doesnt work for me! :unhappy:

spielberg

Quote from: teyakis on February 12, 2008, 02:36:21 PM
Not sure if anyone else using a mac and javafibs has the same problem:

copy and paste do not work.  :unhappy:

The only way to save anything from shouts, etc is to right click and the only options available are:

'clear' or 'save as' (which is fine cause you can save it in a text file) ; but i CANNOT paste anything into javafibs!!

Anyone else have this problem? or am i missing something?  :wacko:

Thanx

Possibly your problem comes from a slightly different Java on your Mac. I know Java's built into the Mac OS but what is it a perfect Java? Inim or padski strike me as guys to ask - known hackers the pair of them. ;)

and Happy Valentine's day btw  :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

socksey

QuoteThanks kleine...but i had already tried that...doesnt work for me!

ctrl/C and ctrl/V are not javafibs commands.  Maybe they don't work for Mac's?  I have a PC and that's how I learned first to copy/paste.   :)

socksey

"We will never negotiate out of fear, but we will never fear to negotiate" - J.F.K.

inim

Quote from: kleine_meid on February 12, 2008, 03:06:40 PM

This seems to be a known bug with Apple's port of the JDK, which needs to be worked around in a OSX specific way. Resolution is here:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Java/Conceptual/Java14Development/07-NativePlatformIntegration/NativePlatformIntegration.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40001909-212032

Other applications have issues with this as well, just google for "copy paste java OSX". I'll try to fix it, but a donation of some OSX computer would definitely speed up the debugging process  ;)
This space is available for rent by advertisers. Call 0900-INIMITE today, and see your sales skyrocketing in no time! New customers receive free Vl@9rå and a penis enlargement set as a bonus! We support banners, flash banners, and scrollers. Discrete handling by our HQ on the Dutch Antilles.

inim

Quote from: burper on February 10, 2008, 07:25:00 PM
It's what it sounds like: a secure store for certificates, passwords, etc...
javafibs itself maintains several accounts, but this integration would allow access the mac keychain app.
There are such apps available for other OS's. Perhaps there is a standard protocol for such things.

Is there a way to access proprietary keystores (e.g. Mac, Firefox, Windows etc.) from Java without native code? 3rd party lib would be ok, but using native code would create a very messy production and packaging process, which i don't think is worth the hazzle.
This space is available for rent by advertisers. Call 0900-INIMITE today, and see your sales skyrocketing in no time! New customers receive free Vl@9rå and a penis enlargement set as a bonus! We support banners, flash banners, and scrollers. Discrete handling by our HQ on the Dutch Antilles.

inim

Quote from: marekful on February 06, 2008, 07:44:50 PM
2) A bit extreme but would be useful to be able to have empty lines in the kibitzes/says text area by pressing enter in the empty command line. (E.g to separate contents for repbot queries, etc.)

You mean you want to be able to resize the widget where command/tell/kibitz/etc are taking their text input?

inim

Quote from: webrunner on February 01, 2008, 12:45:20 PM
Integrate the sound options similar to 3DFibs. That way more poeple can hear them.
;)

Could you please elaborate what that would be? No 3DFibs used here.

boomslang

Things I came across:

• When you switch from watching one player to another, both matches are recorded in one log file. If you analyze the (converted) file with gnuBG you'll end up with wrong results. See example below:

0:Alehandro:2 1
       1:Alehandro: 13-11 24-23
       0:ParlorBot:4 5
       1:ParlorBot: 12-17 19-23
       1:marekful: 7-6 6-1
       0:bonehead:3 4
       1:bonehead: 2-5 19-23
       0:marekful:2 5

• (Probably already mentioned before, but ...) If you close JavaFIBS by clicking the top right [X], the friends lists etc. are not saved.

• When watching a match, the turned cube is always shown on the left hand side of the board.

• When you open a chat box, the chat line area has no focus. If it would have focus by default you could just start typing (because that's why you opened the box in the first place).

Good luck

stog

if you use a thumb/scroll click mouse or mighty mouse you can assign copt to thumbclick and paste to scroll click - just select and click to copy - works in javafibs

regards stog

inim

Quote from: boomslang on February 13, 2008, 03:56:05 PM

(Probably already mentioned before, but ...) If you close JavaFIBS by clicking the top right [X], the friends lists etc. are not saved.

I can't confirm this bug. Tested the shutdown with JDK 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, and 1.6 on windows. All call the correct method on clicking [X] which should write the files. They are NOT called when running javafibs e.g. from a shell and exiting with ctrl-c, or some other hardcore way of killing a process. However, in such a situation not saving the prefs seems appropriate.

Anybody can describe a reproducable way to exit Javafibs WITHOUT the files being written? Please specify OS and Java version used for your experiments along. Thx.

I could use some low level Java methods (System.shutdownHook) to enforce saving in all and every imaginable scenarios, but would users want that? Please advise.

don

One feature that is missing from every single GUI that I know of is a simple interface to FIBS' features that are not implemented by the GUI.  How often have we all seen:

"x shouts how do I <do something FIBS can do bit GUI can't>?"

It's simple to implement FIBS help in pull-down menus.  This is not done.  Where GUIs do not implement commands they should make it easy for their users to use the many FIBS commands that are also available.  Most users are unaware there are FIBS commands nor what they can do.

--
don
So many string dimensions, so little space time...

boomslang

Quote from: inim on February 21, 2008, 08:36:10 PM
I can't confirm this bug. Tested the shutdown with JDK 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, and 1.6 on windows. All call the correct method on clicking [X] which should write the files. They are NOT called when running javafibs e.g. from a shell and exiting with ctrl-c, or some other hardcore way of killing a process. However, in such a situation not saving the prefs seems appropriate.

You're right... clicking the [X] saves the files.  The files are not saved when JavaFIBS is closed by Windows itself, for example when you reboot Windows.  The JavaFIBS-exit dialog is bypassed (which is ok) and added friends etc. are not written. 

Sorry for mixing them up.

webrunner

What about an integration with fibsboard:

- post rating to fibsboard (in profile)
- shout on fibsboard
- latest posts (RSS)
"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

stog

macfibs has  a list of matches being played, along with watchers ie=quick way to watch a popular game when u log in

inim

Quote from: boomslang on February 22, 2008, 04:22:33 PM
You're right... clicking the [X] saves the files.  The files are not saved when JavaFIBS is closed by Windows itself, for example when you reboot Windows.  The JavaFIBS-exit dialog is bypassed (which is ok) and added friends etc. are not written. 

There are 2 different modes how a JVM can exit, see here for a detailed description
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/lang/Runtime.html#addShutdownHook(java.lang.Thread)

Currently JavaFibs hooks into the System.exit(int) hook, but not into the Shutdown hook. My feeling is that this is the preferable solution, albeit hooking into the ShutdownHook is a matter of 20 lines of code. If there will be no "please please support the shutdownHook" postings within a week, I will close this one with "won't fix".

RobertFontaine

I've got a feature request :)

A gnubg or extremegammon position code that we can cut and paste.
Sometimes when I'm watching a match I say "Hey, there's a really interesting position, but short of taking a printscreen of it, I don't have a quick way of saving the position."   If javafibs let me copy/paste the equivalent position code from one of our favourite software vendors (or both) then it would be easy for me to take those,  "gee I wonder if that was right" of for further study.

.... never mind I see I can save it as a jellyfish pos and then import it.   Not as direct but not worth a new feature.  my oops.

Krazula

I'd like programmable buttons to be able to complete multiple commands with one button. Example "tell repbot list %INVITER", "tell repbot ask %INVITER", and "show savedcount %INVITER" all with the click of one button. Another example "tell %PLAYER Hello, would you like a match?" and "Invite %PLAYER 5" with the click of one button.