News:

VIP Donor members can now access VIP articles on the random photos that appear on the front page, with links & larger images..

Main Menu

Mr./Ms. Fibs March

Started by burper, February 22, 2004, 10:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burper

OK, since it's probably too early for the world championship thing to sink in, and jonjon is the only other interested TD:

How about a monthly tourney to decide, for example Mr. or Ms. Fibs March? 5 point matches, side-by-side tournaments with the final between the winner of both (double elimination in effect). Start mid-way through the previous month (start March tourney now!)  and have a one week timeout. Other rules as per the rules thread here.

What do you say jonjon? You run one side and I run the other? Other TD's are always welcometo help out knowing that we would be the primary TD's and you are just our eyes when we're not logged in.

webrunner: how about a little webspace for this?  All you have to do is update a name once a month. I will do a template if you want. People like to see their name in lights on the web!

More tournies!

socksey

what do you mean, side by side?  playing at the same time, two separate tourneys, different people in each?

socksey

socksey

Personally, I'm tired of searching down players.  In the league is bad enough.  That is main reason I dropped out of team league.  Just too much hassle.  So, I am opposed to all tourney's that don't finish now, when they are started.  One of the reasons I like tourneybot so much is that you can play in competition and get it on!   :wacko:

socksey

JonJon

Sure, that sounds good. I'll direct whatever when I can. The problem is that I'm getting busier right now, and I don't know if I'll have time to co it proper justice.

I agree with Socksey, tracking down players to play a tourney match is kind of a pain. I do like the playing a tourney NOW and getting it done aspect.

How about a regular day of the month for the monthly championship tourney? Say the first or fifth or fifteenth or something? All matches to be played within that 24 hour time period. Or even a week long event? Every second week of the month there is a championship tourney, and the winner of the tourney is that months champ. Or something like that.....

JJ

Zorba

Hiya fellow bg freaks,

I am one of those players who likes 3pt or rather 5pt or longer matches for a tournament, but I understand the problems of organizing these. In "real time" some players might have to wait an hour or more sometimes with these matchlengths, especially if some very slow players have entered the tourney or there's severe lag.

Spreading it out over several days or weeks even, creates the problem socksey mentions. If you're online often and your opponent is too (say, I'd be playing socksey  B) ), it's not such a problem but some opponents may only be online for short periods. With different timezones, my exxperience is that it's easy to miss your opponent for days or weeks, even if you both log in regulary.

Apart from the other suggestions done here, I  wonder if TourneyBot could help players a little. Suppose I log in and I'm currently in a tournament; TourneyBot might send me a message that I have this match (still) to play and TB could warn me when my opponent is logged in, or logs in. If opponent isn't there, TB might show information from "whois" about when s/he last logged in; that may help find this person in the future.

This won't solve all problems, but it might be a little useful service from TB perhaps?

The fascist's feelings of insecurity run so deep that he desperately needs a classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the fascist's embracement of concepts like mental illness and IQ tests.  - R.J.V.

Luck is my main skill

MadMatt

QuoteZorba's post made me think of a radically different idea. I thought for a minute while reading that he was leading up to this, but then he went in a different direction.

How about totally dynamic brackets where TourneyBot pairs you with whoever else is available in the same round? I think this would keep people more active in the early rounds. In the later rounds, you still have to wait, but at that point you have more invested in the tourney overall and might be more willing to wait and watch.
I'm not sure I totally understand this. If I got it correctly, you meant something like:
  • tourney participant A logs in
  • TourneyBot registers that a tourney participant A logged in
  • another tourney participant ( B ) logs in
  • if A is still on FIBS, TourneyBot matches him up with B
That would be interesting, it would definitely solve a part of the problem, but it would introduce several new ones instead. In particular, would people start abusing it? Like, checking in with a different name to see which tourney participants are currently logged in, then log with their tourney name to be matched up with a particular person?
MadMatt
----------

TourneyBot Website

jinnate

i don't know, matt, i'm thinking that if they're willing to go through that much work to play certain people, then they deserve whatever results they get. (they'd also have to make sure that when they signed up for the tourney, that others they didn't want to play weren't signed up as well.) i think there'd be too many variables (someone logs in before they can login again) for them to get the results they wanted consistently.

i like the dynamic thing. it seems to solve a lot of problems with longer-term tourney play.

Tomawaky

Yes The dynamic idea sounds good for me. :yes:

It's clear that I also prefer long tourney and that's why I created Fibsleagammon with 11 7Pts Matchs over 2 months for people to play their matchs. And it's not always easy  -_- . But the fact that you can play 11 matchs at the same time is more easy to plan than playing them in a definite order.

When you introduce bracket, it's more difficult cause some late player can make it last long. So I think that Tourneybot can maybe speed up the process.

Real time tourney are limited to 3Pts only. Even 5 Pts are very long and reduce the number of players that are able to take part.

I think it worth testing it..... for those players who like playing long pointer match.

A world championship and a Mr or Ms Fibs sound good to me also
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

socksey

QuoteBTW, the reason I was surprized, is that like me, you are a FIBS regular and I wouldn't think you would have that much trouble hooking up with opponents? You are in fibsleague master division and have all 11 of your games done.

True, burper, on having played all or most of my league matches, historically, but not without a lot of work.  Lots of emailing and dogging went on.  I would get very frustrated that some players would never respond to an email or never agree to to time and day, just pop in and ask to play on spur of the moment instead.  Many times, this would be inconvenient for me, but I would play anyway and often lose, in that case.  I like to keep things as simple as possible.  Complicated means work and time to me.  I like to play most.  

Of course, making tourneybot more complicated could mean less work for TD's.  I could go for that.  :D  And untrue, burper, I am no longer in master division.  I dropped to gold and I'm sitting out this league season in need of a break.   :wacko:  

socksey

diane

These topics seem to me to start off with a simple idea - and sound great - i like the idea of a mr and ms - and the first upstanding member of fibs i speak to - is also in favour.  Then - a few posts down the road, they have become so complicated - i have no longer any idea wether they are even possible - let alone desirable!!
If the details are thrashed out, I would gladly cover a few hours - if thats what it took to make this happen - evenings during the week - and longer at weekends.
In terms of getting people to play - it must be possible to measure somehow - without getting too labour intensive - who has made the greater effort to play - and award them the match if it overuns time.
I like longer matches in my tourneys - and like them to run over longer times - and themes are great (though i have yet to survive a first round in one!!) - and from what i gather from the volume of people entering these longer events - so do others.
I feel sure this is manageable right now - and will get easier as the gui becomes a reality - lets try to make it work - and keep interest alive in fibs.

(37 to go!)

Never give up on the things that make you smile

jinnate

i've been working too hard at my tourneys. i've been double checking on everyone to make sure they were playing, trying to anticipate problems before they came up. i was doing a lot of typing. then the voice of god came, in the form of diane, saying don't assume they're stupid, assume they're smart and capable. so i let them come to me when there's a problem and i give them information but i don't hold their hands.

all this to say. i'm running tourney 179 on a long-term basis. each round lasts a week. i don't dog them. i check the rounds for unplayed matches, leave a reminder message at the beginning/middle of the week for both players of the deadline with a message to contact me if they're are any problems, leave a message towaards the end of the week if needed. then i don't worry about it. the rest is up to them. they're capable of scheduling their matches (most of them, anyway; to be honest, there was one case where i had to tackle True_Blue to get him to give me some times/dates he was available, but that happened once and not again) or they're capable of losing gracefully. i think this is doable in its original form (as soon as matt's finished working on the bracket stuff).

well... :huh:  for april anyway.