News:

Become a VIP .....appreciate Fibsboard? don't like ads, Y not http://www.fibsboard.com/donate.php

Main Menu

fridays3, cloned?

Started by burper, February 27, 2004, 05:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burper

As we discussed in another thread, there is a trade-off in bracket tournaments between chasing down opponents and having "larger" tournaments.

It occurs to me that the fridays3 tournament is a good hybrid. It's a monthly tournament, but the points are accumulated from multiple "flash" style bracket tournaments held at the same time each week. Either the opponents are there at that time, or they don't play for points.

Anyway, I wanted to clone this tournament, calling it "fridays3 reloaded" and conduct it 6 hours later than the current one. Kari offerred to help, so I anticipate that fibsleagammon web space shouldn't be a problem, and having a backup TD will help keep it regular.

The problem now is TourneyBot. It seems that it is coded such that "fridays3" is not so much a tournament style, as a particular tournament. To duplicate the tournament, one needs to duplicate the code??? I don't know what's involved, but it seems like the tournament style should be named something else, like "accumulated" (short for accumulated points bracket) and that "fridays 3" and "fridays3 reloaded" and anything else someone comes up with should be particular instances of ongoing tournaments opened.

Perhaps the best thing is to post something on the dev list, learn ruby and make a code contribution ;)

Kari_Grandi

"Fridays 3 reloaded" sounds cool and I suggest, that you try it tonight exactly 6 hours after normal fridays starting time (21.00 UTC). Try it for a couple of fridays and then decide, if it's worth making weekly tournament.

Maybe it's better, that you'll get another TD to help you since Houtx and me are taking care of the "original" version :). We have created our own style to run it (what to shout) and I wish that you will make a good and respectable format for it if you're gonna use Fridays name in it :).
And we can make a web-page for it in FLG tourney section.

Kari

MadMatt

I don't much like the idea of having an accumulated tourney type so that every TD could create one of their own, or perhaps even several of their own. That would just be confusing, people never knowing what tourney type this tourney points count to etc.

Fridays3 earned the right to get its own type by becoming a popular tourney. If you want your own type, then do what Kari and the FLG guys did: Make a webpage, start holding tourneys at a standard time (using regular TB tourneys), make it become a known, successful and accepted FIBS feature and I'll make you a type for it.

Oh and by the way, don't make fridays3 tourneys as that will mess up the monthly score. Only Kari_Grandi and houtx should actually use those.
MadMatt
----------

TourneyBot Website

JLee

I don't care how it's done, but I really like the idea of a new recurring tournament.  I really can't participate in the current Fridays3 tournaments, but if there was one at a different time, I might check it out.

JLee