VIP Donor members get fewer ads;  Donate - don't be late
cheers

Main Menu

no more tournies for me

Started by burper, February 29, 2004, 04:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burper

alef

Sounds you've had a rough time. The bullies on FIBS can be immensely tiring, where would we be without the gag command or repbot?

Tournament Directing definitely puts you in the front line. For the postcard tournaments I've always asked someone else to stand alongside as a second official TD so that there's support for the inevitable disputes.

-Alef

burper

Not the usual suspect this time. dfisher.

wingtsun

Hey burber..come on,what you doing ?? :huh:

Dont let steal,your fun from some stupid people.
We need you ,to play your tourneys!!!!!! :rolleyes:
I like to play your,s.
Please come back

wolfgang

Frostie

Come on Burper don't give up. It's people like you who contibute to fibs that makes it the success it appears to be. So please set up more tourneys for those (including me) who are new to fibs.
:o)

Regards,

Garry.

JonJon

People are A-holes. Especially when they have the anonymity of the internet to hide behind. I'm embroiled in a bickering match with a fellow fibster too...Eh...just use the gag and blind button, ban 'em from your tourneys and keep on playing. Its important to have good people like you who contribute to the community running tourneys.

So don't quit.

Especially because it lets the A-holes win. And thats never acceptable.

JJ

MadMatt

Alef speaks wisely. If you're holding a tourney, see if there are any other TDs on and ask them to co-moderate your tourney. That way you can split dealing with the idiots among the two of you and there'll be someone to back you up if a disagreement occures.
MadMatt
----------

TourneyBot Website

webrunner

Burper, i have to say i can understand your emotions right now.
But don't let them get to you. If you quit, they (the a-holes) win.
I for one would miss you as a tourneybot mod, and so will a lot of nice people. :huh:

I think it's time that the good guys stick together and help eachother, like Alef said.
We should be like one group, it's the only way we can stand up against the bad guys. :angry:

Keep your chin up en don't let one or a few people ruin it for you and a lot of others. I know for a fact that you are respected and liked (if not loved) for the effort you put in FIBS.  :yes:
"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

burper

I won't quit. I just don't think I'll be doing "flash" tournaments again. They are not for me.

It's not about emotion, and it's not about bad guys winning. This particular BS came from someone I had previously vouched for and is someone that is mostly an agreeable person. It may have been a situation where they didn't understand what I was trying to do with dual-simultateous tournies, which is understandable, and FIBSters are *not* good at following instructions as we all know.

I'm trying to figure out what I can do as far as a weekly event goes. I think I want to do something on Sunday, with accumulated points like fridays3 does, but still with somewhat longer match lengths (5) and a double-elimination style bracket system.

Frostie

Burper, a Sunday evening tourney would be great. Good to hear that you seem to be keeping the faith, through gritted teeth maybe but hang on inthere !! :D  

alef

Just having an afterthought on this issue. Online arguments and tensions do seem to be far worse than those in work places, pubs or even families. I guess it's because we can't see each other and so much of face-to-face communication is non-verbal. Add to this that we're playing backgammon where the dicegods can tease and torment us and it really does add up to recipes for diaster.

From my address being at the bottom of the homepage I regularly get angry emails ranting on about FIBS dice. Occasionally if they're vaguely polite then I reply, but mostly I don't. We're volunteers helping out on this server and we just don't deserve the harassment due to other people's paranoia and upset egos.

Essential strategy in backgammon: learn to lose gracefully. Besides keeping it enjoyable it will also help your rating!

klic

I guess you will never ever get rid of people's attitude to rant about dice. Look at the paranoia involving gnubg and those. Why in the world would a program have to cheat? I guess Robertie wrote it in one of his books while commenting a match that just turned for the nth time: you have to have a strong character to stand those blows (my transcription, not word by word :-)